I had to rollback to kernel 4.15 due to serious issues with 5.3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

I had to rollback to kernel 4.15 due to serious issues with 5.3

Post by nermeenhm »

Hi,

As you can see from the title, I had to roll back to kernel 4.15 as of today and it's working more than fine with me. Before that I was on the 5.0 but since its life will end this month I had to sacrifice and roll back now to 4.15. Needless to say that the 5.3 kernel was horrible and I couldn't even login with it; black screen at startup and total standstill (video card i195 issues).

My question: Will I be notified by the update manager when the kernel 5.5 is offered? I'm hoping my issue will be solved with the 5.5.

Thanks,

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I had to rollback to kernel 4.15 due to serious issues with 5.3

Post by gittiest personITW »

So, what is wrong with the 4.15?
If nothing, whats the problem?

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Nothing at all so far, I'm just preparing myself in case anything goes wrong. It's the only single option I have and I was thinking that it would be wise to have at least one alternative kernel close by!

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

This sort fo thing happens, especially with old hardware. Paste the text output of inxi -Fxz run in the terminal.

Racer-X-
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Racer-X- »

nermeenhm wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:39 am
Hi,

As you can see from the title, I had to roll back to kernel 4.15 as of today and it's working more than fine with me. Before that I was on the 5.0 but since its life will end this month I had to sacrifice and roll back now to 4.15. Needless to say that the 5.3 kernel was horrible and I couldn't even login with it; black screen at startup and total standstill (video card i195 issues).

My question: Will I be notified by the update manager when the kernel 5.5 is offered? I'm hoping my issue will be solved with the 5.5.

Thanks,
I'm completely baffled by this post. Why do you want (or need) a newer kernel?

4.15 is the LTS kernel for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. There are literally millions of computers running this kernel and Ubuntu is committed to supporting that kernel with security updates and bug fix updates until April of 2023. I can't understand why anyone would consider this a "sacrifice," or why anyone would want to upgrade install a newer, potentially buggy kernel if their computer is fully functional with the LTS kernel.

The more important question is, why would you install a newer, short term supported kernel at the end of it's life (5.0, which I'm guessing you installed in December or January, and which had it's last update about 3 weeks ago), and why would you expect a brand new, just into wide release kernel to be a smooth upgrade?

An even more important question is, why would you want to do this again in the future?

You say, "My question: Will I be notified by the update manager when the kernel 5.5 is offered? I'm hoping my issue will be solved with the 5.5." Please elaborate. What specific "issue" are you having that isn't solved by going to the LTS kernel and staying with that kernel?

If you have brand new hardware (designed and built since 2018 with brand new technology), and you either can't run kernel 4.15.0-* at all, or you have to turn off advanced features and cripple your new hardware to run kernel 4.15.0-*, then you're someone who needs a functional HWE kernel. That's currently the brand new and still working out the initial bugs 5.3.0-* kernel. That kernel will be supported at most until August of 2020.

More to the specifics of your question. The most likely next HWE kernel will be 5.4.0-*. That's the kernel that's in the current "daily" builds of Ubuntu 20.04 which is currently in testing. That will very likely be the next LTS kernel, and the "linux-*-HWE-18.04" meta-packages will likely lock onto that kernel permanently as the last upgrade after the 5.3.0 kernel passes out of support. Historically, when a new LTS version goes LTS (at the *.1 release), the previous LTS version HWE packages lock onto the new LTS kernel. Expect that to happen in late July or early August this year. It might happen sooner if the bugs in 5.3.0-* aren't fully resolved quickly. I'm fairly confident that there will never be an Ubuntu release of a 5.5 kernel for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS or for any distributions based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. If you need 5.5, you'll have to wait for the HWE packages on 20.04 (or 20.04 LTS), or for 20.10.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Racer-X- wrote:
The OP is probably concerned about what to do once the 4.15 series goes end of life.

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Schultz wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:24 pm
The OP is probably concerned about what to do once the 4.15 series goes end of life.
I had 5.3 whatever, installed in order to see 'how far I could go', but with the last update my poor old 'puter got rather 'jerky', so I've gone back to the LTS - I wonder if it's something to do with having an over 10 yr old 'puter!

Code: Select all

jon@jon-Aspire-One-522:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: jon-Aspire-One-522 Kernel: 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire One 522 v: V1.04 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Acer model: Aspire One 522 v: V1.04 serial: <filter> BIOS: Acer 
  v: 1.04 date: 12/21/2010 
I've nearly saved enough pennies to get something really modern - y'know, only 3 or 4 years old.

Jon

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

dorsetUK wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:47 pm
... to see 'how far I could go',
This is a common misunderstanding. Newer kernels aren't better. Their function is to support hardware released since the last LTS kernel. You computer doesn't have that issue, obviously, so you're much better off using the LTS kernel, as it's more stable. Where things can get complicated is if you have a peripheral device which isn't supported by the LTS kernel, or a new graphics card, but you haven't mentioned any such thing.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Racer-X- wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:42 am
pbear wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 pm
This is a common misunderstanding. Newer kernels aren't better.
Whilst I don't fundamentally disagree with the stick with what's known to work philosophy you both espouse, it's a bit of an over-simplification to state that newer kernels series are only for support of newer hardware. They can also bring new kernel features, refined support of existing hardware, performance improvements in extant drivers, schedulers, file system performance etc. All of course with the risk of new bugs, incompatibilities etc. So if stability isn't essential for a particular user, and the user is comfortable with how to switch back there's nothing fundamentally wrong with trying the newer kernel series even if the hardware doesn't technically need it.

As a personal example my 9th Gen Intel Dell laptop works fine on 4.15, 5.0 and 5.3, and is theoretically fully supported by kernel 4.15. But it's wireless connection stability is much better on kernel 5 and 5.3 than 4.15. I know what kernel I'll be using.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

I agree with smurphos and I want to add, that’s why it is important to have always good backup.
You have to understand, that Linux distros in general are testing distros, because they have to introduce new software for the new hardware, so it is understandable to have issues with the old PC or laptop which uses kernel for new PC or laptops.
On the other hand a component like wireless driver which already mention by smurphos could have problems with the current kernel which will be solved with a newer kernel but could have issues with your Virtual Box for example.
So, a small operating system around 30-40 GB and a good backup, can very fast bring your OS in the previous good condition.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:10 am
it's a bit of an over-simplification to state that newer kernels series are only for support of newer hardware. They can also bring new kernel features, refined support of existing hardware, performance improvements in extant drivers, schedulers, file system performance etc.
Point taken.

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Racer-X- wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:42 am
nermeenhm wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:39 am
Hi,

Thanks,

4.15 is the LTS kernel for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. There are literally millions of computers running this kernel and Ubuntu is committed to supporting that kernel with security updates and bug fix updates until April of 2023. I can't understand why anyone would consider this a "sacrifice," or why anyone would want to upgrade install a newer, potentially buggy kernel if their computer is fully functional with the LTS kernel.
Ok, kernel 4.15 was not installed on my system. I have only just installed Mint's new version 19.3 (just a few weeks ago) and it worked with the 5.0 kernel. I didn't even have the 4.15 running to be able to know if it will work or not! So, now that's it's working I don't have any other kernel on my system except this one (I had to remove all 5.0 and 5.3 kernels) and I'm sure I must've read somewhere that it's better to have at least 2 kernels on your system in cause something goes wrong! Look I'm admitting that I'm totally and absolutely a newbie in Linux or Mint or any of this technical stuff and as you know people with ZERO knowledge are always taking unnecessary precautions to compensate for their lack of knowledge. That's why I've posted this question here in the newbies section. Thanks.

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 am
This sort fo thing happens, especially with old hardware. Paste the text output of inxi -Fxz run in the terminal.
System:
Host: nermeen-Inspiron-5567 Kernel: 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5567 v: N/A serial: <filter>
Mobo: Dell model: 05VRRG v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.1.7
date: 09/11/2017
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 42.0 Wh condition: 42.0/42.0 Wh (100%)
model: Samsung SDI DELL CYMGM74 status: Full
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-7500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 4096 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 23232
Speed: 500 MHz min/max: 400/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 500 2: 500
3: 500 4: 500
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: AMD Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]
vendor: Dell driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati,modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-88-generic
Network:
Device-1: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: e000
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 03:00.0
IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 114.50 GiB (12.3%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABD100 size: 931.51 GiB
temp: 30 C
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 36.41 GiB used: 22.15 GiB (60.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 869.87 GiB used: 92.34 GiB (10.6%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: swap-1 size: 9.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: 30.0 C sodimm: 30.0 C gpu: amdgpu
temp: 36 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2660
Info:
Processes: 231 Uptime: 2h 17m Memory: 7.69 GiB used: 3.08 GiB (40.0%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20
inxi: 3.0.32

asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

You can have and install 2 extra kernels and with this configuration you will boot from the last operation system you use. For example if you boot from kernel 4.15 will always boot the 4.15 kernel.
If you install newer kernels but you use older kernel then you should run after the installation of the newer kernel.

sudo update-initramfs -uk all ; update-grub
To change the configuration how to boot.

sudo xed /etc/default/grub
Add the missing commands and alter the existing ones.

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
Save close the file and after that.

sudo update-grub

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

nermeenhm wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 am
I'm sure I must've read somewhere that it's better to have at least 2 kernels on your system in cause something goes wrong!
The idea there is that, when there's an update, you keep your current kernel as a backup in case it turns out the newer one causes a problem which didn't manifest immediately. You can achieve pretty much the same thing in your case by installing the 4.15.0-76 kernel.

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

pbear wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 am
nermeenhm wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 am
I'm sure I must've read somewhere that it's better to have at least 2 kernels on your system in cause something goes wrong!
The idea there is that, when there's an update, you keep your current kernel as a backup in case it turns out the newer one causes a problem which didn't manifest immediately. You can achieve pretty much the same thing in your case by installing the 4.15.0-76 kernel.
Now that sounds like a very sensible and easy solution to do :D :D :D why can't everything be so simple as that? Thanks a lot for your time. This is exactly what I'll be doing right away.

Return to “Newbie Questions”