Multiple installations of Firefox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
xka
Level 1
Level 1

Multiple installations of Firefox

Post by xka »

How to install two separate installations of Firefox (each with it's own profile, addons, proxy and other config) which can be run at the same time?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Multiple installations of Firefox

Post by karlchen »

Hello, aka.

The general answer to your question is: there are several ways of achieving the given goal of running multiple independent Firefox installations on a single machine.
One way is by doing it in the same way as on this LM 19.3 system:

Code: Select all

karl@paulchen:~$ dpkg --list firefox firefox-esr-mozilla-build
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                        Version            Architecture       Description
+++-===========================-==================-==================-===========================================================
ii  firefox                     73.0.1+build1-0ubu i386               Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
ii  firefox-esr-mozilla-build   68.5.0esr-0ubuntu1 i386               Mozilla Firefox ESR, official Mozilla build, packaged for U
Both, Firefox 73.0.1 and Firefox ESR 68.5.0 have been installed through the software management system. Both Firefox user profiles are independent of each other.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

la3amon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by la3amon »

Hi xka,

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and it irks me when people are on support forums; But, I don't understand why you would want multiple installations of Firefox. The scenario you describe and the solution you are looking for is exactly what Firefox individual profiles do.

On one of my Linux machines I have six different Firefox profiles, i.e. , one for entertainment, one for fairly safe browsing, one configured for use on the Tor network, etc. You can create these profiles and run them all at once if you like, but your system resources will take quite a hit. However you can't run two instances of the same profile at once. Unless you install different versions of Firefox. You can create launchers for each of these profiles and assign a name and a custom desktop icon so they are easy to identify. You can also create a launcher that will show all of the profiles you've made and then pick which one you would like to use.

If you would like assistance with any of these processes, lemme know. I'd be happy to help.
Peace, love and Linux for all

And don't forget kids; The NSA can see your dick in your hand

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

la3amon wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:24 pm
Hi xka,

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and it irks me when people are on support forums; But, I don't understand why you would want multiple installations of Firefox. The scenario you describe and the solution you are looking for is exactly what Firefox individual profiles do.

On one of my Linux machines I have six different Firefox profiles, i.e. , one for entertainment, one for fairly safe browsing, one configured for use on the Tor network, etc. You can create these profiles and run them all at once if you like, but your system resources will take quite a hit. However you can't run two instances of the same profile at once. Unless you install different versions of Firefox. You can create launchers for each of these profiles and assign a name and a custom desktop icon so they are easy to identify. You can also create a launcher that will show all of the profiles you've made and then pick which one you would like to use.

If you would like assistance with any of these processes, lemme know. I'd be happy to help.
The bold large text....
No reason to do this and it isn't actually safe in the first place.

la3amon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by la3amon »

How so?

And don't forget kids; The NSA can see your dick in your hand

Return to “Newbie Questions”