Incremental backup apps?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Incremental backup apps?

Post by Spiderspoon »

So, a few years on, I have just installed Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. Is there a backup app which does incremental backups?

If there isn't, what is the recommended routine? Delete previous backups? Just keep the latest one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Backups and imaging - need for a tutorial?

Post by Moem »

Spiderspoon wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 am Is there a backup app which does incremental backups?
Deja-Dup, Backintime, I'm sure there are others...

Also I've split this off into a new topic. It's a perfectly valid question, but it does not in any way depend on the old thread it was in.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
regmar
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Incremental backup apps?

Post by regmar »

Have a look at rsnapshot, it does exactly what you need, incremental backups. https://linuxconfig.org/guide-to-rsnaps ... s-on-linux
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon - Intel NUC11
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Apart from being command line, don't see what rsnapshots has to offer over backintime, luckybackup, etc.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Spiderspoon wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 am Is there a backup app which does incremental backups?
Be aware, there are two kinds of incrementalism when it comes to backups. One is where only the changed files are copied but they're copied as whole files; the other is where only the changes are copied. The latter is faster, but requires all the backup files together to restore the data. Whole file is more suitable for desktop users, IMHO, where changes only is more suitable for networks backing up lots of users to a central server. Then a separate issue is whether you want snapshots, i.e., the ability to restore to multiple points in time. Snapshots are more flexible, but require more storage space.

FWIW, I use rsync, which is whole file (when used for local backup) but not snapshot. It's command line (run in terminal), so might not appeal to you. If not, there are several GUI options, including those already mentioned.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I use grsync, which is rsync + a GUI, to backup data and OSs, keeping the latest copy of each file; IIRC rsync can save updated copies, but I've never tried it. grsync also provides a very useful preview.
(click to make it look better)
grsync.gif
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

I don't mind command line. I have used it a bit years ago with CP/M, AmigaDOS and a little in MSDOS.
I noticed /mnt in the last screenshot. I presume that is mounting a drive. I haven't learnt about that yet.
I back up to a USB hard drive. Will these programs all back up to USB drives?
I am planning on reinstalling and I just want to back up first.
For now, I will probably just use Linux standard backup and look into these other programs on the new installation.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

I use grsync, which is rsync + a GUI,
How did you put grsync and rsync etc into that text box?
squiggles3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiggles3 »

Spiderspoon wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 pm
I use grsync, which is rsync + a GUI,
How did you put grsync and rsync etc into that text box?
Using the code tags. Looks like

Code: Select all

</>
in the formatting tools. It's the preferred method to share commands or terminal output.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Spiderspoon wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 pm How did you put grsync and rsync etc into that text box?
Select the text then click the little button with a "c" on it (above the text entry window). Squiggles, you're thinking of the other code tag.

Anytime you want to see how someone did something, click the Quote button, which will bring up their text with all the codes.
If you're just looking at the codes and don't want to reply, simply close the window and no one will even know you looked.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

let me try that
Test
Well that didn't work.
Test again
Ah, I had turned BBCode off as I didn't know what it was. I will turn it back on in preferences.

Return to “Beginner Questions”