can't import thunderbird profile from 68.5.0

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
joesgarage
Level 1
Level 1

can't import thunderbird profile from 68.5.0

Post by joesgarage »

Hi all, I am a total newbie to linux. I LOVE my HP windows 7 machine. It's been great for me, and is at end of life OS. I hate windows 10 machine i got awhile ago. Soooo... I'm keeping the 7 machine for stand alone software, to remain off-line. I'm in the process of importing stuff to the windows 10 machine, which is also now running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3, dual boot. I've exported my Thunderbird file via thumbdrive, and sucessfully imported on windows 10. However, I've spent all day going in circles trying to get it imported into Linux. I've tried and failed at numerous things I've found online. The furthest I've made it is by launching from terminal with "thunderbird -profilemanager", only to get You have launched an older version of Thunderbird" Seems my profile is too new for version Linux provides... 68.4.1

I tried to download and install a newer version of Thunderbird than what comes with 19.3, but can't get it to install. I'm pretty good with following instructions. I used to be DOS literate LOL. But I'm failing miserably trying to simply get my email working. I have 4 email accounts, 2 of which are still active from my prior ISP because they never shut if off when I moved to a different provider (phone, cable, internet package). So, I don't want to have to set it up from scratch. Definitely want to import it.

1) I thought my Linux choice was a good fit, but maybe not... Won't mind wiping it and going with something else if that's the answer.
2) I don't know why it won't install downloaded version of Thunderbird 68.5.0 Last time trying to extract, I get "Error opening file /tmp/mozilla/joe0/thunderbird-68.5.0.tar.bz2: No such file or directory

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: can't import thunderbird profile from 68.5.0

Post by Moem »

The easiest way to export and import TB data that I know of, is to install the add-on 'Import-Exporttools NG' on both installations of TB, and let that do what it's good at.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: can't import thunderbird profile from 68.5.0

Post by karlchen »

Hi, joesgarage.

I am aware that it may not be the smartest idea to point a new Linux Mint user to a Launchpad PPA software repository. Yet, in this special case, Thunderbird never up-to-date on Linux Mint (or on Ubuntu), this PPA is really a pretty reliable way of getting the most recent Thunderbird, 68.5.0 at the moment, without any big hassle.
Provided you can really follow instructions. :wink:
PPA for Ubuntu Mozilla Security Team
1. Add the PPA to your software sources once as explained on that page. You need the version for bionic.
2. Refresh the list of available software.
3. Update Manager should offer to upgrade your Thunderbird 68.4.1 to 68.5.0.
4. Future updates to Thunderbird will be offered and installed via UM like for any other repository software.

Once Thunderbird 68.5.0 has been installed, it might stop complaining that your Thunderbird is too old for the profile, which came from your Windows machine.
(No warranty that a Windows Thunderbird profile will work without trouble on Linux Mint, though. Pathnames differ between Thunderbird on Windows and Linux. And the pathname separators vary as well, backslash on Windows, forward slash on Linux.)

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

joesgarage
Level 1
Level 1

Re: can't import thunderbird profile from 68.5.0 [SOLVED]

Post by joesgarage »

Hey Karlchen, thank you!
Being such a newbie... your step #2 was the difficult part LOL. I had no idea where to go and how to do that!
I was warned not to download unless I'm a tester...?? well this is all at test for me!
And it worked! I'll share further, assuming someone else will find this useful...

There are some differences in this version vs what's on my win7 machine, even though they are matching version and build date numbers.
Example: In the main menu, where you would go to find options > etc... you will find preferences instead. And in Help > Troubleshooting Information > you won't find Profile Folder with Open folder button. Instead, it's Profile Directory and Open Directory. And in there, the layout is not the same. So you won't be able to just delete and replace the thunderbird folder with copy from old machine. Sooo... HEY MOEM, thank you very much! The add-on Import-Exporttools NG gets it done. I got it on my win7 machine and exported to my thumbdrive. Then got it on Linux TB... kept failing every which to Sunday..
Here's the catch... In the Tools menu is import... NOT IT. In the Events and Tasks menu is import (and export)... also NOT IT. Back to Tools menu but skip past the import... you will see the ImportExport NG, and in there is the Import profile option! I almost gave up because of this rookie mistake of not knowing where to go.

Next was needing to enter my account passwords (4 accounts through 2 different isp), and I had no clue what they were. But a quick google search showed me how to find them. Thunderbird keeps them in the menu box, options> options> security> passwords> saved passwords >show passwords.

Next, needing to keep entering those passwords because ticking box to remember passwords not working!
Google search there led me to solution that worked for me.
Find file pkcs11.txt OK, newbies... how do you do that, eh? Well in your home box IS a search option. Hopefully you will find it quicker than I did LOL.
I searched and found 7 of those files. Apparently, my numerous downloads, installs, import attempts, made a bunch of them. I added x1,x2,...x7 to the beginning of each one because I figured, hey, if it won't go after I can undo that easily enough. That's all it took. Launched TB and it fetched messages. Sent a couple, no need to enter passwords even once. Searched the pkcs again, and there's a new one there with the other 7 I renamed. I just left them for now.

I have couple other issues / questions... I will start new threads for those, thank you.
But a final thought here... how risky is it to ignore warnings and PPA download as I have done? If there is something malicious, Linux community would catch it eventually? I like the appeal of Linux not needing anti-virus software.

Return to “Newbie Questions”