[SOLVED] What do the percentages mean next to wifi network names?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oh-kay-pee
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] What do the percentages mean next to wifi network names?

Post by oh-kay-pee »

I can figure out about what they mean, but I don't know exactly what they mean.

When I click the wifi icon, and next to my network, I see 55%, what exactly does that mean?

Should I be worried that I never see it above 60%?

Does it mean my connection to my network is at 55%, computer to router, or my actual wifi is 55% of something?

Wondering if I need to contact my ISF, get a new router, or figure out how to run an ethernet cable across my apartment and not rely on wifi.

Any ideas?
Last edited by oh-kay-pee on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What do the percentages mean next to wifi network names?

Post by smurphos »

It's a representation of signal strength from the router. Anything over 30% is OK, anything over 50% is Good. You'd probably need your router within a couple of meters of the machine to hit 80% +
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

oh-kay-pee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What do the percentages mean next to wifi network names?

Post by oh-kay-pee »

Thanks. My speedtest results are pretty bad so I was wondering about it. Maybe time to up my ISP plan.

Return to “Newbie Questions”