(SOLVED)nvidia settings for linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED)nvidia settings for linux

Post by jstich »

Hello! I have to use the nouveau driver for my nvidia card. What I miss is the control panel to adjust AA tesselation ,etc for the card. I have searched but it seems there is nothing made that can adjust these things with the nouveau driver. Any ideas?
Last edited by jstich on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: nvidia settings for linux

Post by Pjotr »

jstich wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:50 pm
Hello! I have to use the nouveau driver for my nvidia card. What I miss is the control panel to adjust AA tesselation ,etc for the card. I have searched but it seems there is nothing made that can adjust these things with the nouveau driver. Any ideas?
Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

I try to highlight the output in the terminal but it turns the text white and system temp,cpu temp,etc. is highlighted with blue text. I hit copy and it does nothng.I can't find a way for this message to get it either.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Can anyone help? I'm doing the instructions exactly yet can't seem to copy and paste. I've tried countless times but it doesn't work. What the hell am I doing wrong?!
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

jstich wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 pm
Can anyone help? I'm doing the instructions exactly yet can't seem to copy and paste. I've tried countless times but it doesn't work. What the hell am I doing wrong?!
Try inxi -Fxz > output.txt

You can then open output.txt and copy/paste from there. Use code markers around the output. Use the </> icon when you reply.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

I tried the commands listed and it only makes another paragraph with the cursor,waiting for more commands. No info is displayed. Sudo before it doesn't help.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

run the command: upload-system-info (then point us to the result URL or you can just copy/paste from the termbin.com page to here)

or else, similar to the above instructions, you must use [ctrl + shift + c] for copy, or [ctrl + shift + v] for paste, inside terminal.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

I have the data on a termbin.com page. I can turn all the text blue but it does nothing when I click copy or select all on the menu. Is this the right URL? termbin.com/u2yw Nope. This sucks.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

I got it on xed. Still can't find a way to post the info. URL doesn't work ,text and img options don't. No options let me open a file locatio to attach anything to this text.Clicking copy in the doc after selecting the text does nothing.confused.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

You can check for tessellation category here: https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

And then follow the column show from the command: inxi -G (you are checking the OpenGL line: renderer: )

If this functionality is "Done", then there is something you can do. If it is "N/A" then no. Or, depending on the chipset, and if you are on Mint 19.x, then you could go back to a Mint 18.x version to regain an Nvidia driver. For example 304 was dropped from support in Ubuntu's Bionic(Mint 19.x) packages, although it's still available for Xenial(Mint 18.x).
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Well I did the commands and it only says NVCI listed as the renderer, followed by v: Mesa 19.2.8. I did some searches but couldn't find any info on what version I have ( NV 10, NV 20,etc.)
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

It's looking unlikely I'll be able to adjust settings with a GUI on the nouveau driver,but I am learning stuff.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

NVC1 is from the NV "C" category, and that shows it has support. You can click the NVC0 link there in the table and follow the info and see it shows:

Code: Select all

NVC1 (GF108) 	GeForce GT (415M, 420, 420M, 425M, 430, 435M, 520M, 525M, 530, 540M, 550M, 555M, 620, 630M, 635M, 640M LE)
Quadro 600, 1000M 
But these chips fall somewhere with the 390 to 440 nvidia drivers which are supported and available to install from the default repository, or by adding the Ubuntu graphics-drivers ppa for the most recent versions.

So in that case is shows there shouldn't be a reason to not use the Nvidia driver.

But let us know some more info of why are not using one of those, or can't, and maybe someone can help get you going well enough.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Thanks zcot. Yes I should give some context. When I first installed mint the default driver was the nouveau one. Then I got the update option to go with the recommended nvidia driver. Sounds good, right? So I did that and on that nvidia driver I had no other resolution choices except 800x600 or 1024x 720(?) resolution. I want to use this tv at 1360 x 768 resolution, which is the max resolution this tv can handle. Even at 1024 x 720(?) resolution the tv would display 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz, which I'm not sure my tv can safely handle that resolution. And everything looks too big and blocky at those resolutions. Also when I'm on the nvidia driver the settings it lists my display as a laptop,even though it's a desktop pc. The nvidia driver only gives me 2 resolution choices. And yes I found my gt 430 in the list you posted, but didn't know if that was the ONLY one, or one of the many offered. I bet there's a way to adjust all the settings for the graphics, but I'm not skilled enough for that yet. I guess I was trying to sorta have a backup if the nouveau driver stops working, etc. This rig has mint 19.3 on a Dell 537s with a pentium dual core @2.6 ghz, 2 gb system ram, gt 430 card 1gb vram. I mainly use it to watch history docs on youtube . I can usually get 720 p .It looks great, really. Overall the performance is really great. I'm happy with the setup. I'm just simply still learning about the mighty Linux ecosystem.EDIT: Also I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do with the info out there about this. I've made other threads regarding the nvidia driver but can't get it to work properly. This thread is close to being solved thanks to my newness to Linux.
EDIT: I'm not mad about that, I'm just a noob right now.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

Update; I tried again to install the nvidia driver on my 20 gb partition. The driver manager said I was using the non recommended nvidia driver. I tried using the recommended nvidia driver since I thought it was working right. I reboot and get the same two low resolution choices. I then reverted and restarted,same problem. I try the nouveau driver and reboot and it's still on the low res nvidia drivers. I then went through a series of trying to revert to any drivers but got many package installation errors, only to be prompted to reboot again.So I went to nvidia and got their run package and downloaded it. Then it seems to go to the xed program and it shows it's loading with a graph. It will take a really long time to load the whole thing,so long that I don't think I'm doing it right. Am I on the right track?
mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikaelrask »

hey i added this ppa to get the driver manager to be able to download the closed source nvidia driver https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... ppa/+index

this two commands in the terminal and after that reopen the driver manager i mint

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

you could try that and good luck
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.54-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 20
Kernel 5,4.0.54-generic
Ram 4 gb
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryMonster »

jstich wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 pm
Something I learned is that when you want to copy/paste from/to the terminal, you have to use Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V rather than just Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. That works for me. Hope it helps you too! I've only been with Mint for a week or so but I've already had to copy a LOT of text to and from the terminal.

Good luck!

- = HM = -
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

The Nvidia site lists driver 390 for the GT 430.

using the driver directly from Nvidia is going to be an advanced experiment, and plus there's no need to do that unless you want to get into some advanced gaming support.

Ubuntu takes the drivers directly from Nvidia and packages them with some supporting scripts to make it easy for us to do an install/remove with one click. That is the driver you should be using.

The nvidia-390 driver is available to install via the Mint Driver Manager. That's the one you should be considering.

Adding the Ubuntu graphics-drivers ppa as mikaelrask mentioned is easy to do and not particularly risky(In fact many users using very new hardware end up needing to use that ppa). Think of this ppa as a staging position for the drivers that make it into the Ubuntu repository. If you add the ppa, then it gives priority to those drivers as opposed to the one from the default repo.

Any drivers will be available in the Driver Manager.

Also, to note, to use the Driver Manager, you open that, click one time on a driver, then reboot. That's it. You do that every time. You have to reboot for this to work. Don't click back and forth and do other stuff, then reboot and try to revert or something. I'm just saying keep it very clear to open the driver manager, select one driver then reboot. And make a do-over if you need to make another change.

One issue, is that if you used the Nvidia run file, and got any amount of success where it changed any of your files, then you need to run it again and go through the removal process so it undoes what it did. And then delete that run file from your system. ;)

There's a couple of possible problems you might run into when install Nvidia drivers.

1. If your BIOS has the "secure boot" setting turned on, install an nvidia driver changes the default kernel loading setup and it will fail to load the driver during boot and you'll end up with some crappy 800x600 mode or any similar bad resolution bad hardware capability situation. This doesn't happen on all setups, but mostly on the newer equipment with appropriate UEFI settings where it detects changes and blocks it as if it is thwarting a virus.

2. Always generally, if you are using a kernel version that is ahead of the Ubuntu-updated nvidia driver(or ppa version), similar as above, the nvidia kernel module will fail, and you'll get crappy graphics. A lot of users recently were updating to the latest 5.3 kernel and but using an older nvidia driver, not a 440 or near their newest where it had not been updated to be compatible with the 5.3, and they were getting the same common issue. It's not uncommon if you are using either a very latest kernel or very latest nvidia driver that one or the other is not compatible with the other symbiotic piece and it ends up not working out. There are common integrations between the kernel and nvidia driver so be aware of that and it's always easy enough to work out how to come back from it, or figure where the issue is.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

I did the commands regarding the ppa but it just ends up going to the 3 graphics drivers options I already had available. And I've tried the shortcuts and all that would happen is the letter in the combination would appear in the terminal. And yes the first day I installed mint I tried to get the nvidia drivers to work properly and they simply don't. I tried changing the drivers without pressing revert or apply changes , and restarting with the same results. So I tried loading another driver and clicked apply changes and I get a broken package message. I get this message with any of the drivers. And no I didn't click around and do other things when told to reboot or restart the system. It gives me two nvidia options and the nouveau driver in driver manager. And the documentation from the ppa says it dropped my Fermi 108 chipset. Dang it. I feel vulnerable to losing support for this driver because I use a different installation with the nouveau driver and it works great. Seriously, does nvidia have some super tech that is patented? That's the only reason I can think of why it seems so hard for them to get a basic driver to work normally. Maybe I need an old driver from the catacombs of Nvidia.Maybe it's a patent problem? I'm sure there are plenty of Linux folks that can figure out what's going on in these drivers.And yes I wouldn't mind troubleshooting the problem but as noted I'm not sure 1920 x 1080 @60 hz will fry my tv while doing that. I'm assuming 50/50 chances from what I researched.
jstich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jstich »

I tried to purge the nvidia drivers and it says they're not there so won't purge them.Every time I change the driver I get a broken package error. Even after that it gives the option to restart.If I could get the nouveau driver to work I'd be able to get that 20 gb section to work.

Return to “Newbie Questions”