Removing a bad icon from start menu [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Removing a bad icon from start menu [SOLVED]

Post by all41 »

Ripple
Yep--a reflection of your username :)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryMonster »

I did try your terminal command, Sleeper12, after I'd already used the Remove option from the Software Manager. I figured it couldn't hurt!

Now, an amazing addendum... I rebooted one more time, and the wine-wine remnant has now vanished from the Menu Editor! Hooray!!!

(I am using entirely too many exclamation marks.)

So this is [FULLY-SOLVED] now. ...Nah, I won't go back and edit the title.

I thought the term "wine bottle" was a pretty clever way to label a reserved folder or directory for Wine. One of the fun things about learning a new OS is collecting a whole new list of jargon. Linux programmers seem to have creative imaginations when it comes to naming things. :lol: I guess someone is probably already thinking of labeling their bottle directories with titles like Ripple and Zinfandel and Sauvignon Blanc....

Cheers!
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

all41 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:54 am
Ripple
Yep--a reflection of your username :)
Nah! I need no help with that. :) I just remember Ripple from Sanford & Son.
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

HarryMonster,

Glad it all worked out somehow. 8) :wink:
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryMonster »

Forgive me, but I wanted to add one "Oh, by the way..." to this thread.

I was looking at the Synaptic Package Manager. If you open that thing there's a Status button on the lower left panel. I clicked the Status and then in the upper left panel I found an entry for "Residual Config" files. I clicked on that and to my surprise, there was a Wine Desktop entry on there. I then clicked the little checkbox next to that to label it for removal, hit the Apply button above, and now I don't have any more residual configuration files listed.

I'm hoping this procedure has rid me once and for all of the leftovers from my initial mistake. The "sudo apt-get --purge wine" command and manual removal with the Software Manager still left this one piece of residue in the system.

Thanks again for helping me... what a swell introduction to the forums! You guys rock!

- = HM = -
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

I googled 'remove wine linux mint' and it seems difficult to get rid of all things Wine. Maybe someone knows how to check if everything is gone or not. Or, you can start a new thread on that.

Return to “Newbie Questions”