Is really the end for 32-bit?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Is really the end for 32-bit?

Post by Minux1 »

missmoondog wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am
pbear wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:57 am
since2019 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:14 pm
Some team really needs to continue developing 32-bit at list one (1) Distro of Linux for many years more.
Finally got around to looking at antiX the other day. (Been on the round tuit list for a year.) Really nice low weight distro. Sensibly composed and one of the best "manuals" I've seen in Linux (their FAQ). Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but I expect they'll be around as long as they can scrounge parts.
i tried that antix a while back. had one of the weirdest installers i've ever used! system ran great once i got it installed though.
MX-LINUX is Antix big brother ... Debian based ... no plans to drop 32 bit ... installs with full suite of programs ... faster than LM on my Acer netbook and no bugs to fix to date
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

For me 32bit ended nearly 10 years ago and I don't miss it either :D try to put 16GB of Ram on a 32bit System. :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

..." different strokes for different folks"
... I like my 32 bit legacy machines as do many others
... Linux caters to a wide spectrum of users
... and we're not all made of money
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi all

For the OP, I would recommend Antix, which is a very capable operating system.

As with Mint, you can try it out as a live system first, to see if you might like it.

Regards
D
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Lots of legacy 32 bit computers in use.
Ubuntu and it’s down stream derivatives (Linux Mint) are abandoning 32 bit architecture.
Debian isn’t in the near future at least.
MX Linux is a good Debian based distro to try ... it’s like a fleshed out, more newby friendly version of AntiX that also runs well on less well endowed legacy hardware.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Just finished watching some DVD movies on an old 2004 vintage IBM ThinkPad G40 running antiX 19.2 32 bit of course. The playback software was VLC. Not a single stutter. 32 bit is alive and well. Support will end someday but not today. ;)

Return to “Newbie Questions”