[SOLVED] Blizzard game installation issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Blizzard game installation issue

Post by HarryMonster »

Greetings, friends.
(LM Tricia 19.3 Cinnamon)

I used to play a lot of games when I had Win7. Last week, thanks to all the wonderful help I have been getting here, I finally removed my Windows partition and my machine no longer dual-boots. I'm fully onboard with Linux. Yay!

So now for the gaming part. I followed various online guides to install Lutris, various DXVK libraries, the Wine-stable version of Wine, rebooted, and then went to install one of my old games, World of Warcraft. Lutris had me check dependencies and then install the Blizzard Battle.net app, which I did and I was able to log into my account there. So I got that far. So far so good!

Next Battle.net wants me to install World of Warcraft and this is where I run into a wall. It was already installed on my system on my Games drive. I have separate SDDs for my Main/Program/Linux drive and a different one for Games/Data. On the Battle.net screen next to the Install button is a little thing that says "Already installed? Locate the game" When I click on that a funky little file manager pops up. It says Select Folder at the top, but it does NOT show my Games drive. Under My Computer on the left side it shows a C: drive, my CD disk drive as D:, and a weird one named Z: which I never had before. None of those lead to my other SSD drive. I don't see a way to get it to find and recognize my Games drive and I don't want to install the game anywhere else.

This might not be the right place to ask this question. If anyone has suggestions on where else I might look, I'd appreciate it. I'm still searching the web for answers but everything I've found so far applies to Windows computers. Battle.net and Blizzard documentation is not helpful and I haven't found the answer in the Lutris discussions yet.

Thanks again for any advice you can offer! :mrgreen:
- = HM = -
Last edited by HarryMonster on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Blizzard game installation issue

Post by HarryMonster »

I think I may have solved this one. The key was in the Lutris configuration files, and I was expending a lot of wasted effort fussing with the Battle.net installer. While modifying the configuration file in Lutris I found the WoW.exe file, clicked on it, and Lutris popped up a message saying Wine was being updated. Next thing I knew the game was found and updating as well.

I appreciate the time you have taken to read all this. Hopefully someone with a similar problem in the future will find this post helpful.

- = HM = -

Return to “Newbie Questions”