[SOLVED] Installing Onedrive in Software Manager?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Installing Onedrive in Software Manager?

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hi. I'm curious if anyone has experience installing Onedrive (please don't judge me :wink: ) from Software Manager, how did the install go and most importantly does it work?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing Onedrive in Software Manager?

Post by mikaelrask »

hey i found this in the software manger that links to this github http://skilion.github.io/onedrive/ don't know if this works, alternative you can use the webbased version in outlook.com or dropbox or for that matter google drive that have same functionality like OneDrive.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote: I'm curious if anyone has experience installing Onedrive (please don't judge me :wink: ) from Software Manager, how did the install go and most importantly does it work?
I've no experience with it, but note that it's a command line client, which hasn't been maintained since 2018. Not to say that it won't meet your requirements, whatever they may be.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

mikaelrask wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:28 pm hey i found this in the software manger that links to this github http://skilion.github.io/onedrive/ don't know if this works, alternative you can use the webbased version in outlook.com or dropbox or for that matter google drive that have same functionality like OneDrive.
JoeFootball wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:36 pm I've no experience with it, but note that it's a command line client, which hasn't been maintained since 2018. Not to say that it won't meet your requirements, whatever they may be.
Thank you both. I went ahead and did the install from Software Manager, learned in my travels that the "launch" button wouldn't actually launch the program and that other setup was required. I was however able to verify with dpkg -l command that OneDrive was actually installed as a program. Followed the link to skilion.github web page, entered the "cat ~/.config/onedrive/config" command, it did nothing but give a response of "no such file or directory". Saw where someone manually created a new folder in Home called "onedrive", that didn't work either. As noted above, verified OneDrive was installed as a program, something's just not clicking!

I do have dropbox setup and working, just have stuff on onedrive that I'd like to sync as well if at all possible.

Any other thoughts or questions would be appreciated.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote: ... the "launch" button wouldn't actually launch the program ... verified OneDrive was installed as a program, something's just not clicking!
If it's a command line tool, you won't be able to launch it via Software Manager, nor would you find it in the Application menu. You'd have to do so via the terminal.

EDIT: "So simple, You already know how to use it:" onedrive -h
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:27 pm
If it's a command line tool, you won't be able to launch it via Software Manager, nor would you find it in the Application menu. You'd have to do so via the terminal.

EDIT: "So simple, You already know how to use it:" onedrive -h
Thanks JoeF. I had discovered it wouldn't launch from the Software Manager so that's why I was trying to follow the command line instructions on their web site but haven't been able to get that to work either. Not sure what the problem is or where to go from here. I know there is this app/program called rclone that is supposed to be another way to setup one drive, may have to explore that.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:42 pm ... I was trying to follow the command line instructions on their web site but haven't been able to get that to work either.
I've never used OneDrive myself, so I can't offer a lot of help, but I presume you just create that minimal configuration file, then execute the onedrive command for more. e.g., username/password
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:29 pm I've never used OneDrive myself, so I can't offer a lot of help, but I presume you just create that minimal configuration file, then execute the onedrive command for more. e.g., username/password
No problem, I guess not that many do use onedrive but thanks for your input. Creating the configuration file seemed simple enough but apparently it's not as simple as it looked! Anyway there are other alternative ways, I may try some of those.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote: Anyway there are other alternative ways, I may try some of those.
Very well. :)

I took this as an opportunity to pursue, as I've been avoiding creating a Microsoft account, but need one for a work assignment. Just leaving my experience here for others.

It may be obvious, but worth noting that I needed an existing OneDrive account before I could use this client tool. I got one at no cost (other than my info), and it includes a 5 GB allocation. I don't know if this is automatically included with a Microsoft account, or if it's one in the same, or otherwise. :? But through a process that I didn't find as intuitive as I would have hoped, I was able to get a Microsoft account and a OneDrive account. Onward...

Once you have the OneDrive account, the "so simple" tagline was not untrue:

1. Install the client from Software Manager.

2. Execute onedrive from the terminal, where it provides a Microsoft setup URL to visit in order to authorize the client to access the OneDrive account, where you enter your username/password credentials to do so.

3. It then provides another URL in response, which you paste in the awaiting prompt in the client tool.

You're done with setup. There's no need to create the ~/.config/onedrive/config file, unless you'd like to customize how it works.

There's now a OneDrive directory in your /home, where the contents of your OneDrive account will sync. To execute future syncs with that local directory and your OneDrive account, enter onedrive in the terminal.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:18 pm
Once you have the OneDrive account, the "so simple" tagline was not untrue:

1. Install the client from Software Manager.

2. Execute onedrive from the terminal, where it provides a Microsoft setup URL to visit in order to authorize the client to access the OneDrive account, where you enter your username/password credentials to do so.

3. It then provides another URL in response, which you paste in the awaiting prompt in the client tool.

You're done with setup. There's no need to create the ~/.config/onedrive/config file, unless you'd like to customize how it works.

There's now a OneDrive directory in your /home, where the contents of your OneDrive account will sync. To execute future syncs with that local directory and your OneDrive account, enter onedrive in the terminal.
Dude, u da' bomb! That worked, thanks for posting this! :D

Leave it to me to over complicate things and miss something so fn' simple as just putting onedrive in the terminal & hitting enter, I might never have figured that out! And it looks like all my stuff downloaded from OneDrive cloud to the OneDrive folder on the laptop like it should. It was also much faster than google drive (I got that one working earlier). Thanks again!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote: ... thanks for posting this!
You're welcome. :) Once I had the account created, it was much easier to decipher.
1NEWLINUXUSER wrote: And it looks like all my stuff downloaded from OneDrive cloud to the OneDrive folder on the laptop like it should.
Yep, it appears the concept is, if you have File X in your local directory, and File Y in your OneDrive account, and then sync, you'll end up with both files existing in both locations.
abraunegg
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Onedrive in Software Manager?

Post by abraunegg »

Just as a friendly FYI - the 'skilion' repo appears to have been abandoned in 2018 and contains many defects that put you at risk of data loss and corruption if you use it. The original author is totally uncontactable despite numerous efforts by myself and others.

The correct repository to use which is maintained can be found here: https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive

Major differences / Enhancements:
=================================
- Existing bugs with skilion client fixed
- File upload / download validation to ensure data integrity
- SharePoint / Office 365 Shared Libraries added
- Desktop notifications via libnotify
- Dry-run capability to test configuration changes
- Prevent major OneDrive accidental data deletion after configuration change

Also, a new client website has been launched to help with Internet search presence for this updated client: https://abraunegg.github.io/ - feedback welcome.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

abraunegg wrote: The correct repository to use which is maintained can be found here: https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive
Thanks, good info! Looks like the Ubuntu repos for 19.04 and 19.10 have the fork, so LM 20 will likewise benefit. Unfortunately, not prior instances. C'est la guerre.
magicrob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magicrob »

This is the one that worked for me: https://linuxhint.com/install-and-use-o ... inux-mint/
and it supports symbolic links, unlike Dropbox these days, which means I can backup the folders in my Home directory keeping everything I've got safe.
Good luck.
abraunegg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraunegg »

magicrob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 am This is the one that worked for me: https://linuxhint.com/install-and-use-o ... inux-mint/
and it supports symbolic links, unlike Dropbox these days, which means I can backup the folders in my Home directory keeping everything I've got safe.
Good luck.
The Linux Hint site references the client that I develop and maintain, and the installation is via the Ubuntu PPA which is the correct process. This is why this worked for you.

The correct location for information on the client can be found here: https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive
theratuk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theratuk »

Hi abraunegg

I tried installing your client on 20.10 mint last night (using instructions for ubuntu 20.04) and couldn't get it to install because it required a missing package that I couldn't get to install after a lot of struggles (apologies not got my log in front of me but it was a lib with a long name ending 92)...

I wanted to ask if you are still actively developing the client and if there might be a gui on the horizon for us more novice users?

It's obviously working great for some but given my struggles last night I may have to go with rclone on the basis of it being in the software manager and having the GUI which might make it a bit easier.
abraunegg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraunegg »

@theratuk
I tried installing your client on 20.10 mint last night (using instructions for ubuntu 20.04) and couldn't get it to install because it required a missing package that I couldn't get to install after a lot of struggles (apologies not got my log in front of me but it was a lib with a long name ending 92)...
There should be no issue in building the client from source - you are potentially following the incorrect instructions. Regardless of this, you should really use the OpenSuSE Build Service packages: https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive/b ... install.md
I wanted to ask if you are still actively developing the client and if there might be a gui on the horizon for us more novice users?
You already have a GUI in your file manager - you do not need another GUI here ... once it is configured, you use your normal GUI to browse your files ... what are you looking for in regards for a GUI .. for what purpose?
theratuk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theratuk »

I followed these instructions but will try again on the very latest lts mint and see if I can get it to work again :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”