Unable to run VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ppas

Unable to run VirtualBox

Post by ppas »

When I try to use VirtualBox an error message appears as follows:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine lite.

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

What can I do?
(I'm using mint cinnamon 18.3)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to run VirtualBox

Post by sgtor »

Yeah this is a setting in your BIOS.

You need to reboot your computer then as it's rebooting hit DEL key or F10. It's different depending your computer and BIOS type.

I would try F10 first.

So once you're in there look for that setting in the menus AMD-V, I forget what it's called exactly maybe virtualization, I would have to reboot into BIOS to look so I'm not doing that now.

Then change the setting to enable. Read the very short help instructions at the bottom or sides of the BIOS screen.

IMPORTANT
You could possibly mess your system up to the point of not being able to bootup so only change that one setting. You can't let that scare you off though. If you feel like you changed something you weren't supposed to you just hit the ESC key and leave the BIOS without saving any changes and the reboot and try it again.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unable to run VirtualBox

Post by pbear »

Perhaps this explanation at VBox forum will help you understand what you're looking for. It's a BIOS/UEFI setting.

Return to “Beginner Questions”