Hide HDD in Computer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Hide HDD in Computer

Post by Cap »

In Files manager how can I hide a drive in Computer? For Cinnamon 19.3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hide HDD in Computer

Post by Flemur »

Cap wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:55 am In Files manager how can I hide a drive in Computer? For Cinnamon 19.3
Though there may be other ways, probably add a line to /etc/fstab with noauto in it, e.g.

Code: Select all

LABEL=BU_EXT4  /mnt/BU_EXT4  ext4 defaults,noauto,user,noatime   0 2
LABEL=BU_NTFS  /mnt/BU_NTFS  ntfs defaults,noauto,noatime        0 2
Although the directory /mnt/BU_EXT4 exists, nothing shows up in file-browsers until I mount the partition using the terminal.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

That hides the drive in the side bar however when I click on Go menu Computer it is displayed there still. That is also the address computer:///
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

I think mount options as Flemur said would be nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto. You can do it easily with gnome-disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks> Select the disk on the left and the partition on the right> Click on the wheels icon downside>Edit mount options>Switch off Automatic mount option and uncheck the following two options (or three if you don't wish to require additional authorization to mount) >OK).
hide a partiton.png
(Edited)
Last edited by JOPETA on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

JOPETA wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:49 am I think mountoptions as Flemur said would be nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto. You can do it esayly with gnome-disks (menu>accesosries>Disks> Select the disk on the left and the partition on the right> Click on the wheel icon downside>Edit mount options>Switch on and uncheck all options.)
Yes that hides the drive in the side bar. It is still not hidden in Computer.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

Cap wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 am Will this work? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ud ... partitions
This does not work. Unless I did it wrong?
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Cap wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 am Yes that hides the drive in the side bar. It is still not hidden in Computer.
It works in my case. Please post back following code result.

cat /etc/fstab
PD:Consider this is only to hide partitions you selected, not the whole device (HDD/SSD). Explain in details what you're trying if you want to hide the whole disk to certain users ....
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cap wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 am Yes that hides the drive in the side bar. It is still not hidden in Computer.
The moral of the story is that not everything you can conceive can be done.
Well, unless you have the ability to rewrite the underlying code.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

JOPETA wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 am
It works in my case.
It works to hide in Computer? I hope to learn how you did it.
JOPETA wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 amPlease post back following code result.

cat /etc/fstab
The significant line in fstab. I changed uuid for posting if it has privacy issue perhaps.

/dev/disk/by-uuid/11111111111111 /mnt/11111111111111 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-udisks-auth 0 0
JOPETA wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 amExplain in details what you're trying if you want to hide the whole disk
What I tried is change settings in Disks which modifies the fstab file. That did hide the drive in the left side bar in Files manager and did not hide the drive in Computer.

In detail, I launch Files manager, I click the menu Go, I click the menu item Computer. There I see the hard drive. I want to hide the hard drive so that it does not appear there.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cap wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 am I want to hide the hard drive so that it does not appear there.
Do you have any reason to believe this is possible?
Have you ever used an operating system where it was possible?
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

pbear wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 am
Cap wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 am I want to hide the hard drive so that it does not appear there.
Do you have any reason to believe this is possible?
Have you ever used an operating system where it was possible?
Yes I have reasons to believe it is perhaps possible.

Yes in Microsoft Windows you can hide drives in My Computer.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Okay, now I understand why you think it's possible. You're comparing apples and oranges. Do you understand that what Windows calls "drives" are actually partitions (except for the optical drive)? By contrast, the Computer pane in File Manager shows devices. The comparable thing in Windows would be Disk Management. I'm quite sure you can't hide a device from Disk Management.

ETA: If you're not familiar, you can open Disk Management in Windows by right-clicking Start. Also available by search in Control Panel.
Last edited by pbear on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Of course you can hide a drive. Open the case, unplug it, undo the screws and then, hide it where you like.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

Thank you for the help. I suppose it can not be done.

I have a MS Windows hard drive on my computer. Are there more steps to prevent Linux Mint processes from reading or writing to the Windows hard drive?
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Writing, Linux should not do it unless you tell it to.
I would be much more worried about windows writing to your Linux partitions, without asking. There are many examples that appeared on the forum.

To prevent read, you could encrypt your windows partition.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cap wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 am Are there more steps to prevent Linux Mint processes from reading or writing to the Windows hard drive?
That question has come up before. As I recall, there was a thread with an answer, but didn't save a link as not something I want or need. Faint echo in what remains of my memory says the solution was something along the lines of mounting the partition with root privileges, which would prevent any ordinary process from writing to the drive. What is the scenario you're trying to protect against?
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

pbear wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:49 amWhat is the scenario you're trying to protect against?
Well meaning software that does some thing with all drives. Well meaning software with bugs. User mistakes. Malware.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

fabien85 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:14 amI would be much more worried about windows writing to your Linux partitions, without asking.
I am. However Linux Mint drive is not mounted in Windows and I don't think Windows will access unmounted drive or mount the drive on its own so perhaps it is safe.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Cap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:21 am I don't think Windows will access unmounted drive or mount the drive on its own
here is a counter-example: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=270547

Return to “Beginner Questions”