Lost Part of my Panel [Solved but still discussing]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Lost Part of my Panel [Solved but still discussing]

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Normally, when I hover over an icon on the panel, I get a popup saying what the icon is for. In the case of the files folder icon, hovering over the icon will raise a popup that shows which folders are open and I can choose which one to maximize. Every now and then, I lose the ability to get that popup when hovering over the icon. This is a problem when I have multiple files open because I then can't choose which folder to maximize or minimize. Restarting Mint will correct this (for a while).

This happen a little while ago when I had two folders maximized on the screen but I needed to access a third folder so I tried hovering over the Files icon. No joy. Not wanting to restart the computer, I right clicked on the Files icon, saw a selection to turn of file groupings and clicked on it. Oopsie, I lost all the icons on the left region of the panel and I can't figure out how to get them back. Opening a program doesn't put an icon on the panel. If I minimize the program menu, it's still running but I can't get it to maximize again. I can't even move icons from the right region of the panel to the left region, even if I enable panel editing since there is no left region anymore.

First, how can I get the left region and its icons back?

Second, how can I fix the disappearing popups?
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Lost Part of my Panel

Post by LanceM »

It would help to know what version of Mint you are using.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry. I'm using Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Btw, I tried restoring to the previous snapshot in Timeshift. No joy.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

It would be because how Timeshift is configured. By default it won't restore personal settings. It can be configured to restore personal settings if set like pic at bottom of post.
You could try right clicking the panel>Troubleshoot>Restart Cinnamon. It will clean it to resemble just after installing Cinnamon.
Timeshift set to restore user settings:
Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

LanceM wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:51 pm
It would be because how Timeshift is configured. By default it won't restore personal settings. It can be configured to restore personal settings if set like pic at bottom of post.
You could try right clicking the panel>Troubleshoot>Restart Cinnamon. It will clean it to resemble just after installing Cinnamon.
Timeshift set to restore user settings:
Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg
I tried restarting Cinnamon as instructed. No joy; still no left panel region.

If I set Timeshift as you have shown, would it also include data on /home? I have /home on its own partition.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-03-17 15-15-46.jpg
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

Your data will be left alone. Matters not if on separate drive or partition. Your personal settings are hidden in the home directory, so they get included in the snapshot. If you use Thunderbird you might loose some emails if you reverted. There are filters in Timeshift you can set to ignore certain files. Overall it's a great setting because it can fix most user twiddling mistakes.
For your issue you can try this in the Terminal to reset some Cinnamon defaults:

Code: Select all

dconf reset -f /

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

The left region is back! Woohoo! I'll have to restore the icons and settings but that not a big deal; just a trifle tedious. I'll just chalk it up to being a learning experience. Thanks for your help!

Also, thanks for telling me how to backup my settings with Timeshift! I'll check it out after I finish my current "job" and get the panel sorted out.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

Please mark it as solved. Glad to help.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Lost Part of my Panel [Solved]

Post by smurphos »

The easy way to fix have fixed you losing the Grouped Window List would have been to Right click on the panel > Applets > and then Add the grouped Window List back to the panel.

If it start's misbehaving in use the easiest fix on Cinnamon 4.4 and later is to is to right click on a Grouped Window List icon > Preferences > Configure > Hamburger > Reload

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lost Part of my Panel [Solved]

smurphos wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 am
The easy way to fix have fixed you losing the Grouped Window List would have been to Right click on the panel > Applets > and then Add the grouped Window List back to the panel...

If it start's misbehaving in use the easiest fix on Cinnamon 4.4 and later is to is to right click on a Grouped Window List icon > Preferences > Configure > Hamburger > Reload...
Thanks for the info! I've already fixed it the "fun" way but I will keep this in mind should I mess up again (perish forbid!). One dumb question, though. One of the screens has a button for Group Windows by Application. If I turn that off, will that just make each window in an application have its own icon on the panel or will it just mess me up again?
Grouped Windows.jpg
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lost Part of my Panel [Solved but still discussing]

bump
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Yep that basically makes the Grouped Window List act like the traditional Window List applet + Pinned Apps - each instance of an app will have a separate icon.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you!
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

Return to “Newbie Questions”