Vertical or horizontal taskbar?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Panino
Level 1
Level 1

Vertical or horizontal taskbar?

Post by Panino »

Hello Community,

recently I decided to switch to a vertical taskbar since most of my use cases produce unnecessary left and right borders (for example documents, web pages) where more height would be desired. The problem I ran into was that I feel like the clock, battery status (in percent) and pomodoro applet are visualized very bad in vertical mode. Do you have any suggestions for solving this (refering to screenshot below)? Which taskbar setting would you choose (horizontal or vertical)? And why?

Greetings and looking forward to your opinions
Panino
Attachments
taskbar_vertical.png
taskbar_vertical.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 533 times
taskbar_vertical.png
taskbar_vertical.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 533 times
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Vertical or horizontal taskbar?

Post by rickNS »

Panino wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:52 am

recently I decided to switch to a vertical taskbar since more height would be desired. The problem I ran into was that I feel like the clock, battery status (in percent) and pomodoro applet are visualized very bad in vertical mode. Do you have any suggestions ?
Which taskbar setting would you choose (horizontal or vertical)? And why?

Greetings and looking forward to your opinions
Panino
Opinions only.
Like you said some things only look sensible on a horizontal panel (taskbar) especially open windows, or the window list.
So,
1, Have the horizontal panel (bottom) auto-hide. Thus keeping all your space.
2, Have two panels, the bottom one for open windows, and clock etc., again have it auto-hide (or at least add the hide buttons to it), and have a vertical panel for your most used applications as they are all nice neat square icons.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

Vertical for me, on the left side of the screen. My laptop is wide screen (like many now days I guess) meaning I have more space to spare at the sides of the screen that at the top/bottom.
Weirdly though the time/date on mine is on its side (I use the MATE variant of mint which may be why, I dunno)
Attachments
Screenshot at 2020-03-23 13-00-00.png
Panino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Panino »

Hmm I am still unsure what I prefer. I have to say, although I am not a fan of Windows, the horizointal taskbar function is defenitely more what I am looking for. Any Idea how to rebuild a similar style?
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

I have both horizontal and vertical panels, both auto hidden. I have mainly icons in the vertical panel, while the horizontal panel has icons with titles.
Cliff Coggin
matrovska
Level 4
Level 4

Post by matrovska »

For the date, you can try to edit it (right click, configure), and in the format put: %H:%M%n%d%n%b

I have the vertical panel on the left, and it automatically hides
date vertical Cinnamon.jpg
date vertical Cinnamon.jpg (6.43 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. Lenovo thinkpad T460
Panino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Panino »

Ohh nice, this looks a lot like the theme I am looking for! Thank you very much for the hint!
ParaDice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ParaDice »

What is this heresy? Task bars should obviously be horizontal! :twisted: :lol:

Seriously, though: I can see the point that monitors have more width than height, hence having a vertical task bar will cost some of the width that is readily available and none of the scarce height.

However, vertical comes with two big drawbacks:
  • Most UIs are designed with horizontal task bars in mind (cf. your applet issues). Take your browser for instance: if you try to click anything on the side where the task bar is (e.g. a link, a tab, a bookmark or the "back" button) and you miss, you will start an application from your task bar instead. That's annoying!
  • Vertical task bars increase mouse travel time, particularly on extreme widescreen monitors (e.g. 21:9 displays). Getting from left to right just takes (a bit) longer than getting from the top to the bottom
Therefore, it's horizontal for me.
To get help, always post your system configuration. Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T), type the following command and copy its output: inxi -Fxxxrz. To preserve formatting, please make sure to post it inside [ code] [/ code] blocks.
Panino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Panino »

These are also good points. For me these arguments are the most striking for choosing vertical or horizontal taskbar:

My personal opinion:
  • Mouse travel time: + horizontal / - vertical
  • Symmerty: + horizontal / - vertical
  • Readability of text: + horizontal / - vertical
  • Screen size usage: - horizontal / + vertical
Also generally I am not a fan of autohiding panels since I like to see the time on a quick glance and want to prevent missclicks. The opinion on the internet on this seems to tend more to the vertical taskbar where all use the argument of screen size usage.

Return to “Newbie Questions”