How to install Wine on Mint 19 / 19.1 / 19.2 / 19.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miindck
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to install Wine on Mint 19 / 19.1 / 19.2 / 19.3

Post by miindck »

I had problems with Wine but then I found "How to install Mono or dotNET45 on Linux" to install Wine and I successfully could install and run windows program "KeePass 2.46"
curvenut

Post by curvenut »

ruddy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:42 pm The following steps are what I do to install the newest WINE release. I got them from the official WINE Web site: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

sudo apt-key add winehq.key

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

I have successfully used them in versions 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3 of Mint Mate. Hope this helps.

Hi
I followed your steps but then I got the following error after the command : sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Any idea what is the problem .,??

Thanks

Code: Select all

:~$ sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list:3
E: Unable to locate package winehq-stable
nebula

Post by nebula »

Thank You!
bdobson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bdobson »

I made a shell script to automate the process, here it is:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -O - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport
sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel
sudo apt-get install libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libxml2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386
If you are still running Mint 19.x replace FOCAL in third line with bionic.
taking it to 11
afora
Level 4
Level 4

Post by afora »

My 2c - do not bother with Wine, either install a VM, or have a dual boot system.

I have spent so much time with Wine - it is glitchy, huge, unstable, and many windows programs would not run in it. It's also much harder to maintain as it's a very clunky system in general. I went ahead with a kvm, although initially it was a steep curve to lean. Go with other VMs if you are a n00b, that will make your life so much easier in the long run.
mlesniak

Post by mlesniak »

I may be going off-topic here because I installed Wine on Mint version 20. I used the GUI, Software Manager, and installed "Playonlinux" which is basically a wrapper for Wine. It downloaded and ran ok on my ancient Lenovo laptop. I hope this helps.
Minty204

Post by Minty204 »

I need some help with using Wine, try as I have I am unable to usde it to run a Windows .exe program. I have succeeded in installing Wine, but I do not understand how to configure Wine, or indeed how to use it at all. If anyone is able to help at all I would be very pleased, thank you.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Play on Linux is really simple. Simple to install and fairly simple to run.
Choose the 32 bit option unless the software is relatively new - like last 10 years.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Split off gossamer's problem report. Can be found in a separate thread: How to install Wine on Mint 19.3.
Closing this thread.
It was meant as a how-to. That how-to worked for me more than once, on LM 19.1, LM 19.2 and LM 19.3. It may or may not be appropriate in 2021.
But with more and more LM 20.x systems around, which use repos, different from LM 19.x, this thread could not go on much longer, without getting pretty confusing.
As with so many threads, the longer they get, the less helpful they become.
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”