How to install Wine on Mint 19 / 19.1 / 19.2 / 19.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

How to install Wine on Mint 19 / 19.1 / 19.2 / 19.3

Post by karlchen »

How to install Wine on Mint 21.1 wrote:Linux Mint 19.x has almost reached the end of its supported life time.
Therefore this old "howto" post has been superseded by a reviewed version: viewtopic.php?t=394972
Question:

What is the easiest and safest way of installing Wine on Linux Mint 19.x?

Answer:

The answer can be found on the Linux Mint 19.x Release Notes webpages. They all recommend following this procedure:
Release Notes for Linux Mint 19.x - Section 'Wine 4.0' wrote: Wine 4.0
To install the stable version of WINE from WineHQ, open a terminal and type:
apt install --install-recommends wine-installer
Among other things, this will install wine-desktop-files, which adds menu entries for regedit, your C:\ drive and other items which are missing from upstream WINE.
It is really as simple as that. Using the wine-installer will give you Wine 4.0 from the Linux Mint software repositories.
This will work on all Mint 19.x releases, from 19 to 19.3, no matter whether your desktop environment is Cinnamon, Mate or xfce.

After you have installed Wine 4.0 by executing the commandline given above, you should launch "Configure Wine" from the Mint application menu - Submenu "Wine" and configure Wine.
When "Configure Wine" is launched for the very first time, it will suggest to download and install a few more Wine related software packages.
In case you are not sure whether to agree or to disagree, agree and permit Wine to install the suggested software packages.

Once you have finished this step as well, you are ready to install Windows applications through Wine.

Note:
Please, be aware that not all Windows applications will work perfectly, when invoked by Wine. Before installing a Windows application under Wine, you may like to check the WineHQ Application Database, WineHQ AppDB, in order to find out how Wine users rate a specific application when run under Wine. Applications rated Platinum or Gold should work almost perfectly. Any lower rating promises serious trouble.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
javiercamano90

Re: How to install Wine on Mint 19 / 19.1 / 19.2 / 19.3

Post by javiercamano90 »

Hi,

Thank you

Best regards

Javier
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1 @karlchen has shown how reading the 'release notes' resolves this and many other questions.
Suggested reading material for everyone installing Mint
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Code: Select all

Edit: if you already tried to install wine following other directions, or tried to install wine-installer and had problems, check the below before trying to install wine-installer.

And IF you've already added wine repositorie(s): remove the repositorie(s) before installing wine-installer.

Check: this command should return nothing:

inxi -r | grep wine

And IF you've already installed some wine packages: remove those packages before installing wine-installer.

Check: this command should return nothing: (Edit: before installing wine-installer !)

dpkg -l "*wine*" | grep ^ii
Edit: After installing wine-installer, dpkg should list a bunch of wine packages, including wine-installer.

Edit (05Apr20): here's how to do all that using Synaptic and GUI, rather than typing in a terminal:
viewtopic.php?p=1789132#p1789132
Last edited by Flemur on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

tried this command: dpkg -l "*wine*" | grep ^ii and got this in return

ii  libwine-development:amd64    3.6-1        amd64        Windows API implementation - library
ii  wine-desktop-files           4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-installer               4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-stable                  4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-amd64            4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-i386:i386        4.0~bionic   i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine64-development           3.6-1        amd64        Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader
ii  winehq-stable                4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [C] [/C] tags and [CODE] [/CODE] tags as appropriate
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

marsh20 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:32 pm tried this command:dpkg -l "*wine*" | grep ^ii and got this in return

ii  libwine-development:amd64    3.6-1        amd64        Windows API implementation - library
ii  wine-desktop-files           4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-installer               4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-stable                  4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-amd64            4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-i386:i386        4.0~bionic   i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine64-development           3.6-1        amd64        Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader
ii  winehq-stable                4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
That very probably means you installed wine correctly using the method of this post, installing wine-installer. If you thought it was a problem, maybe I should clarify my post...
siriusv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siriusv »

Hello all, I'm seeking for help in order to install Wine on my Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

I've used:

But in return I got this:

Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze       
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
Alcuni pacchetti non possono essere installati. Questo può voler dire
che è stata richiesta una situazione impossibile oppure, se si sta
usando una distribuzione in sviluppo, che alcuni pacchetti richiesti
non sono ancora stati creati o sono stati rimossi da Incoming.
Le seguenti informazioni possono aiutare a risolvere la situazione:

I seguenti pacchetti hanno dipendenze non soddisfatte:
 wine-installer : Dipende: winehq-stable ma non sta per essere installato oppure
                           winehq-devel ma non è installabile oppure
                           winehq-staging ma non è installabile
                  Dipende: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386
                  Dipende: gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:i386
                  Dipende: libcups2:i386
E: Impossibile correggere i problemi, ci sono pacchetti danneggiati bloccati.
From what I've read on this and other forums, it has to do with dependencies. I've tried to go up the list of the uninstalled dependencies (as suggested on Wine homepage) but still I'm not able to install it.

I've also tried to install Winw-stable from the package manager but the Install button isn't available.

What I've to do to have Wine installed?

Thank you!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

siriusv wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:44 pm apt install --install-recommends wine-installer
I seguenti pacchetti hanno dipendenze non soddisfatte:
wine-installer : Dipende: winehq-stable ma non sta per essere installato oppure
winehq-devel ma non è installabile oppure
winehq-staging ma non è installabile
Dipende: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386
Dipende: gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:i386
Dipende: libcups2:i386
E: Impossibile correggere i problemi, ci sono pacchetti danneggiati bloccati.[/code]
What I've to do to have Wine installed?
Remove any wine packages that you might have installed, remove the wine repos you added, then run
It's all explained in this thread.
siriusv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siriusv »

Thank you Flemur. I've used

sudo apt list --installed

to check which packages are installed on my Mint but - without surprise - I found nothing related to Wine. In fact this is the very first time I'm trying to install it.

To be sure that my system has no reference to Wine I've made a system snapshot with Timeshift and I'm starting with the snapshot at each try.

I've also checked if there's really nothing of Wine on my system:

inxi -r | grep wine

and the output is void.

As said, the problem seems to be on the dependencies. I've tried again to download all the packages that were missing. The problem starts with wine-stable-i386. Here I'm asked to install the following:

Dipende: libfaudio0:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Dipende: libldap-2.4-2:i386 (>= 2.4.7) ma non sta per essere installato
Dipende: libpulse0:i386 (>= 0.99.1) ma non sta per essere installato
Dipende: libasound2-plugins:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Raccomanda: libcups2:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Raccomanda: libgnutls30:i386 ma non sta per essere installato oppure
libgnutls28:i386 ma non è installabile oppure
libgnutls26:i386 ma non è installabile
Raccomanda: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Should I install all of these?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

siriusv wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Dipende: libfaudio0:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Dipende: libldap-2.4-2:i386 (>= 2.4.7) ma non sta per essere installato
Dipende: libpulse0:i386 (>= 0.99.1) ma non sta per essere installato
Dipende: libasound2-plugins:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Raccomanda: libcups2:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Raccomanda: libgnutls30:i386 ma non sta per essere installato oppure
libgnutls28:i386 ma non è installabile oppure
libgnutls26:i386 ma non è installabile
Raccomanda: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 ma non sta per essere installato
Should I install all of these?
No, you should undo everything you're tried to do; the errors you're getting are the errors that result from following the winehq instructions.

What bothered me was:
I've tried to I've tried to go up the list of the uninstalled dependencies (as suggested on Wine homepage) but still I'm not able to install it. (as suggested on Wine homepage) but still I'm not able to install it.
What does " I've tried to go up the list of the uninstalled dependencies" mean?

DON'T follow any of the instructions from winehq for installing wine on Mint 19.x!
siriusv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siriusv »

OMG, seems I've made up some big mess when typing / copying / pasting text. Sorry and thanks for your patience. :D

What I was trying to type is that I've tried to install all the dependencies that were listed as required to run Wine. Each time I try to install a package with:

sudo apt install --install-recommends [i]package_name[/i]

I get another list of required dependencies. And this is leading to nowhere.

I'm back to the last Timeshift snapshot with nothing of Wine on my PC.

wine-installer is not helping as well, unfortunatelly.

Thank you!

Edit

I don't know if the following can help. But even in the app manager I can't install wine-installer: see here.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...this thread today, somehow brought to mind karlchen's patience / kindness, to pin this thread to the very top of the section... :)
I guess the only foolproof method would be... :wink:
for_karl;-).png
FabioMorales
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FabioMorales »

My linux mint 19.3 I like lutris have wine 5.7 update!! Best lutris gaming wine for windows more!!! If you will amazing :shock: :P
JonnJonzz

Post by JonnJonzz »

*sigh*

Ok, so I take from this thread that I should not have done what seemed natural, i.e. install Wine from the handy-dandy Application Installer, and now I have to fart around and undo it and do the arcane terminal incantations to fix it.

Why does LM even ship with something that is "not ready for prime time"?
siriusv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siriusv »

Wine is not available from Application Installer, at least on my LM 19.1.

It just says "not available". That was before any attempt with terminal.
kildegaard

Post by kildegaard »

Thanks a lot, man. you really saved me several hours guessins this kind of things by myself! You're the true hero.
Cheers from Argentina :)
catnip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catnip »

Hello, I believe this should be updated to include Linux Mint 20. I am having problems installing windows programs via Wine. Mono and gecko are not installing correctly in Linux Mint 20 it seems no matter what.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

After a few missteps I ran the recommended:

This gives me version 4

kris@kris-ThinkPad-T530:~$ dpkg --list "wine*" | egrep "Name|^ii"
||/ Name                  Version      Architecture Description
ii  wine-desktop-files    4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-installer        4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-stable           4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-amd64     4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-i386:i386 4.0~bionic   i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winehq-stable         4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
kris@kris-ThinkPad-T530:~$ 
what do I do if I want ver 5 instead and how do I uninstall what I now have?

Many thanks (newb to Mint).
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
rtcunningham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rtcunningham »

I'm late to the party, as usual. I found the easiest way to install Wine is to install the snap for it. There's an Irfanview snap designed for Wine. When you install it, it will automatically install Wine.
ruddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruddy »

The following steps are what I do to install the newest WINE release. I got them from the official WINE Web site: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

sudo apt-key add winehq.key

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

I have successfully used them in versions 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3 of Mint Mate. Hope this helps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”