Change Mint 4 to Mint 7 (I've got the ISO)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Yakfly
Level 1
Level 1

Change Mint 4 to Mint 7 (I've got the ISO)

Post by Yakfly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi all
I'm new to linux and these might sound like really stupid questions but I've searched the forum and read the Linux Mint notes, but the actions to follow in the Linux Mint downloaded Manual don't match what happens on my computer (i.e. what options I'm given).
My system is set up to dual boot with Mint 4 and Windows XP. I need to keep XP as my family use it and they are not prepared/ capable of using something else. I loaded Mint 4 as I got sick of spam and other crap due to my family's use (misuse) of XP - thats kids for yer :roll:
I downloaded the Mint 7 ISO and it works if I boot from it so I know I've done that bit right. However, I have problems loading it (I think?)
My questions are:
1. The Mint manual states that Mint 7 will load to free space, free partitions on the PC. But there is no free space on my PC. Does this mean I have to delete Mint 4 from the partitions it is assigned to?
OR will Mint 7 automatically overwrite the partitions which have Mint 4 on them?
2. If I have to delete Mint 4 from the partitions it is assigned to (to make the free space) - How do I do it? I presume if I delete/reformat partitions in windows XP it will only do it in windows format (ie.fat 32 or whatever).
I realise this is probably a numpty question but if you can help, or point me to somewhere that can help, I would be most appreciative :wink:

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Change Mint 4 to Mint 7 (I've got the ISO)

Post by emorrp1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint, is this the effect you're after: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p180894
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anaxis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:09 pm

There are several ways to do this, in reality, even involving upgrading your distribution to 7 from inside 4, but what I would recommend, is a complete partition wipe and installation back onto that partition, because it makes things just...less messy, should something go wrong.

It's never advisable to install one operating system over another, except for in the case of MS Win Vista/7 upgrades, but that's not really installation over another OS, that's doing essentially what

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
would do, installing/upgrading one OS from inside the previous OS.

However, this could get messy, especially if not everything upgrades correctly, you end up with outdated drivers, etc.

So here's what I recommend (and believe me, take EVERYTHING I say with a pinch of salt, I'm relatively new to Linux, and haven't done a lot of my homework): use that ISO and make a LiveCD out of it (as simple as burning it to disc), and boot into that Mint 7 iso using the one-time boot menu.

From there, you'd open a programme called gparted, that's GNOME Partition Editor, and find where you've previously installed Mint 4, which would more than likely be labelled as an ext3 partition. Take care not to mess with any NTFS partitions, because those are Windows XP's residence and deleting or resizing them, even looking at them the wrong way, might cause Windows to have a panic attack and die.

Once you find that ext3 partition, just delete it outright, and exit gparted. Go into the LiveCD's installation menu, and when you get to the partitioning stage, choose to install on the largest available free space. Then you're done!
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Yep, that solution would work too. Note that my solution in the other post isn't strictly speaking "installing over" either, but it matched what the OP wanted to do, it's effectively similar to your method but being able to do it entirely from the installer.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header

Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anaxis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 pm

True, and it would actually be a bit faster/more convenient.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to start over with a clean partition, kinda like erasing an old picture entirely, or getting a new piece of paper before drawing a new one, as opposed to erasing at the same time you create a new picture, erasing with one hand and drawing with the other.

Albeit, I might be kinda OCD, so maybe that analogy makes no sense whatsoever. xD
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.

Yakfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yakfly » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey dudes - thanks for your help.
I logged out and expected to be back shortly with a "SOLVED" edit on my title by unfortunately it was not to be :?
I first tried Anaxis advice and booted from the Mint 7 CD. I couldn't get into Gparted from the GUI as it said that only root could get in as it was a "dangerous program". I went into terminal and sudo-'d gparted. However it didn't list partitions but said "Partition unallocated 74.53 GiB". I tried "create partition table" in the drop down menus and it warned me that all data on /dev/sda (again 74.53GiB) would be deleted and that the default was to create an msdos partition table. I bottled it with the "all data will be deleted" message and tiptoed quietly backwards :lol:
I tried Anaxis's advice first as it seemed easier to me with my Windows "messing about" background as it seemed more logical to me (Delete partition/reformat hard drive etc).
I then tried emorrp1's advice (you actually advised me to upgrade when I asked about Cinelerra). I followed your link, selected manual at the options but never got the option to select partition > edit > Format. The information I get is "Free Space 80026 MB" and "This computer has no operating system on it".
What I don't want to do is lose all the Windows XP data I have on their partitions but I am quite happy to lose the Mint 4 info if it means I can use Mint 7. I appreciate the fact that I should do a clean load of Mint7 rather than update Mint4 but when the "delete all files on this drive" message appears I presume it's basically a reformat of the whole hard drive. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the difference between Windows and Linux?
Maybe I'm being too cautious because I don't understand Linux enough or maybe I should buy a non distributor version of Microsoft :twisted: XP and reformat the hard drive and reload XP and Mint 7?
What do you think?

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Oh yeah, so I did (sorry, didn't connect the two posts). Unfortunately it seems you have a problem. From what you have described, either this is a brand new hard-drive or the file-system table is corrupt, which doesn't bode well for your data (I hope you took a backup :-( ). Most important question: can you boot into either Windows or Daryna? Do you even get as far as a grub menu? I suspect not, in which case I'll ask Fred for advice, as he's the expert around here with partitioning.

Yakfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yakfly » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi Emorpp1
I don't have a problem with the grub which allows me to choose 3 Daryna boot options (standard/safe and something else which I've never really looked at) then allows me to boot XP under "other operating systems" (provided I hit it before the timer runs down).
I did have a problem about 9 months ago when I had been running this boot option but it stopped working. I had to look through forums and learn how to reconfigure grub. Which is where I learned about sda1, sda2 etc. It took some reading up but I eventually changed the grub loader to get back to where it used to be (or at least so I thought - maybe this is the root cause of the problem?). All I presently want to do is delete Mint 4 from sda5 so I can load Mint 7 into sda5 and possibly take up the empty space on other partitions which I appear to have but contain nothing (see below).
After the advice from yourself and Anaxis I expected to boot the Mint7 disc and be back shortly but as I said below this didn't happen. This cheesed me off a bit so I thought about other alternatives to delete data on partitions. I had a bootable copy of Partition Magic and it said that I have a partition overlap?!? I also appear to have partitions on the drive which are not recognised as having a file system by Windows or Linux. They appear to be "empty partitions" - if this is possible? I spent about 3 hours looking at options but was confused by the information given. My computer seems to work OK (though pitifully slowly in Windows). This is why I thought about buying MS XP discs (which would also be supported by Microsoft rather than have the "please talk to the supplier of your PC, its nothing to do with us" bull when you contact the support line), reformatting the hard drive and starting again from scratch. As I said - I need Windows for the family but I am pig sick of it so intend to concentrate on Mint.
This option would cost money (to buy the discs), take a lot of work/time to make sure I have all data saved, ensuring all options presently set up are recorded so I can re-input them and last - but not least - be an admission of defeat that a collection of wires, chips and other electronic paraphernalia had beat me (this would hurt the most :( )
If you can help I would be most appreciative (as I am for the help you have already given). If you can't then I'll let you know how I get on and which option I took - and hopefully put that "SOLVED" addition to the title :D
Best regards

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Ok, well the fact that you can boot into the systems is a good sign, so all is not lost. I'm assuming the whole hard drive is 80GB is size, correct me if I'm wrong. I still don't quite understand what's going on, so please provide the following info:

0) boot into (Gloria) liveCD
1) post the output of the following command (note the lack of number on the end, other than that change as necessary):

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
2) take a screenshot of Partition Editor (and attach it here)
3) repeat both of the above (if possible) using the installed Daryna

Yakfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yakfly » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

hey dude - its me again :roll:
I went into Daryna and booted into Gloria and inputted the sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda you suggested. I didn't put a number behind the sda. For both Daryna and Gloria I got exactly the same response (I don't know how to do a screenshot and attach). All the "sda" numbers had /dev/ before them but I'm looking at reducing typing :-)
Disk /dev/sda : 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 =8225280 bytes
Disk Indentifier 0x009d009d

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
sda1 * 1 4863 39062016 7 HPFS/NTFS
sda2 4864 9244 35190382+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
sda3 4864 7045 17526883+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
sda5 * 7046 9244 17663436 83 Linux
sda6 9245 9346 819283+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
sda7 9347 9729 3076416 b W95 Fat32

I was expecting to see a difference between the Daryna and Gloria but was amazed to see there was none. Maybe I was jumping ahead of myself ?
If I had been able to do a screenshot I wouldn't have had to type all the info out and probably would have pasted/attached it blindly. When typing/writing it down I was surprised to see that sda2 and sda3 start from the same place! I don't know if this is relevant but it would have set my suspicious mind going (probably on a wild goose chase).
If you can find something useful from the above information or if I have done something wrong please let me know. I thought I may have done something wrong by not putting a number after the sda in your code for the terminal. However, when I tried this in Daryna i got the message "This doesn't look like a partition table - probably you selected the wrong device"
I've just done a preview of the post and the nice table I set up doesn't seem as easy to read though it doesn't seem to change with any editing. Look forward to your advice
:?:

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi, that is useful, thanks. Indeed the command should show the same output since it's a listing of the drive setup. FYI sda without the number refers to the drive, sdaX refers to the actual partitions. You could manage the table by using code tags in the post, which preserve spaces. Anyway, I don't know what's going on, but I've asked for help from Fred, who's the forum's resident partitioning expert.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:35 am

Yakfly,

Greetings sir, and welcome to the Linux Mint forum. :-)

Looks as if you are having a problem. As I understand it you have a working XP partition, a XP recovery partition, and a working Mint 4 partition. You wish to replace the Mint 4 partition with Mint 7. If this is incorrect please correct me.

From a quick scan of your posts it appears that you may have a bad burn on the Mint 7 disk. Unfortunately this is very common problem. My first suggestion would be to re download and burn the Mint 7 iso. Or at least re burn it. Burn speed should be 8X or less. I burn my ISOs at 4 X. Burn mode should be RAW. This is usually given as DAO or SAO. DAO is preferable.

Boot the new live cd iso. In the menu you will find a program called "gparted." It is a partitioning program. Please post a screen shot of each of your hard drives.

You said you didn't know how to do this. Look in the menu and you will find a screen shot program. It will generate a file that you can then post to this forum as an attachment.

Let's start anew and take a fresh look at this problem. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Yakfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yakfly » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:44 pm

I've replied to this post 3 times but each time its been lost so I'll keep this brief. I followed all advice and posted results. When the post kept getting lost I loaded the Mint7 disk (from a new 4X burn - Fred). It wiped the hard drive so I had to buy a new XP (previous was pre-loaded). Re formatted and loaded XP. Booted from Mint 7 (it could now see partitions). Booted from Mint 7 and loaded as dual boot with new XP. I'm where I want to be with my PC. I tried to add info about where I went wrong to help others but am sick of typing to have the post ignored. I'd like to thank Fred and Emorrp1 for the help they tried to give me, which I followed to an extent but then "lost it" and decided I knew best. There's a lot more to the story but I'm sick of typing to lose all I've typed. Submitting now - fingers crossed X
Thanks again Fred and Emorrp

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Yakfly: you're welcome, glad you got it sorted the way you like (even if it wasn't an ideal method). I no longer trust Firefox to save my data, so whenever I make a long/important post, I always write it externally, then copy and paste to firefox.

Return to “Newbie Questions”