LMDE 4 and MINT 19.3 with same HOME partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE 4 and MINT 19.3 with same HOME partition

Post by Seadreamer »

I have been using LinuxMint for several years always with a separate HOME partition. I would like to try duel booting with LMDE 4. Are there any issues with using the same home as 19.3? I am thinking about switching to LMDE but I have about 350 GB in my home that I would like to keep.
Homebrew Intel i7 8700k 32gb RAM
LinuxMint 19.3 Mate
Win 10 for games
kuifje09
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 4 and MINT 19.3 with same HOME partition

Post by kuifje09 »

Could be possible, but also dangerous.

If versions of applications differ from the one OS to the other, reconfiguring can take place.
Sometimes make a switch "back" impossible.

So it is depending a lot on what you have installed, But I would never recomment.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Seadreamer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Are there any issues with using the same home as 19.3? I am thinking about switching to LMDE but I have about 350 GB in my home that I would like to keep.
You are able to specify the /home location yourself in a manual/something else installation, but what you want to do isn't so simple.

I run LMDE4 and KDE neon on multiple machines with a partially shared /home structure. In order to avoid a mish-mash of corrupted settings, each OS has its own /home but the Documents directory, and a few other directories below /home are shared on the network. So, to avoid trouble, set up each OS with its own /home, then, if this is on a single machine only, share the directories using soft links.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Seadreamer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:53 pm
I am thinking about switching to LMDE but I have about 350 GB in my home that I would like to keep.
A shared data partition would make more sense. For comparison, I use separate home and data partitions (single boot), and the former has something like 1.6 GB in used space at the moment. That's without Thunderbird, but there are ways to work around that if you use it. Anyhoo, a data partition isn't particularly difficult. Main thing is that you have to offload those files while you set it up, but not a big deal if you have backups. As for how-to, this tutorial is very good. Use symlinks, not bind mounts, for sharing the folders.

Return to “Newbie Questions”