Backup LinuxMint regularly

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hmsn001
Level 1
Level 1

Backup LinuxMint regularly

Post by hmsn001 »

Hi all,

was wondering if anyone can suggest some tools/apps/softwares or scripts I can use to backup my LinuxMint Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (Desktop PC) on an external HDD.

Is there such a way to back it up regularly the whole linuxmint drive? i.e. back it up at end of the day or every X days?

Thank you so much!

Kadaitcha Man
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Backup LinuxMint regularly

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

hmsn001 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:42 pm
Is there such a way to back it up regularly the whole linuxmint drive? i.e. back it up at end of the day or every X days?
There are many ways to do this but don't let anyone tell you to use timeshift for backups.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-open-sou ... for-linux/
https://www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

There are two sorts of backup, file level and image level.
  • At the file level, I use timeshift and backintime to take snapshots automatically to an internal removable hard drive. Another choice would be luckybackup. All of these are front ends for rysnc. 'Out of the box' timeshift backups up everything except /home (think of it as similar to a windows restore point), backintime does the opposite - only backs up /home. First time they backup everything, thereafter they only backup what has changed.
  • At the image level, you are taking 'pictures' of the partitions - they don't care about files and if you do a restore you have to restore the entire partition. Examples would be clonezilla, rescuezilla and foxclone. I use foxclone - I developed it. Because you are imaging complete drives/partitions they take longer to run than the likes of backintime/luckybackup. They also require you to boot from an external drive or usb stick.
Do both, file backup and image backup. I have timeshift/backintime running daily, I take image backups maybe once a month or every couple of months.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I never liked scheduled backups. I feel it's pointless to make backups when nothing has been added or changed since the previous backup. At the same time, data can be lost if something goes south after adding it but before the scheduled backup occurs.

I do manually run Timeshift every Monday (no particular reason for Monday; any day would do as long as it's the same day every week) and run it just before Kernal and some program updates. The reason I don't do the weekly backup automatically is I don't want to risk Timeshift "deciding" to run while updating a program, the kernal, etc.

I only update my data backups right after I add or change data that can't be easily replaced. This mean I could update data backups anywhere from several times a day to only once a month (I swap out my onsite and offsite backups no less than once a month and update the drives before and after the swap).

The only problem with manual backups is you have to remember to them. I've made it into a habit to do data backups after adding or changing something. The monthly backups before swapping onsite and offsite backup drives has become a monthly routine with reminders set in my calendar program (which also gets backed up). I also have weekly reminders set to run Timeshift every Monday.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

hmsn001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hmsn001 »

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! greatly appreciated!

I know it's not a thing we think about, but i've lost hdd drives due to hdd failuers or power surges for instance; thus want to avoid that as much as possible :D

Thank you once again!

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

hmsn001 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:42 pm
Hi all,

was wondering if anyone can suggest some tools/apps/softwares or scripts I can use to backup my LinuxMint Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (Desktop PC) on an external HDD.

Thank you so much!
I use Back-In-Time for the system (root) and luckyBackup for everything else because it's quicker. They're both file-based and both back up to an external HDD.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim »

I prefer using a USB docking station for the external hard drives. GRSYNC keeps the saved files up to date.

Not much need for saving the system though as that may be part of the reason the externally saved files were needed in the first place. A fresh install often resolves problems faster than troubleshooting.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

Backintime is good so long as the backup partition is Ext4 to let Backintime avoid wasting space on duplicates. The first one is slow as it copies everything. The next snapshots are fast as they copy only changed files.

My desktops have first line backup disks inside to allow frequent backup then I use external USB disks once per week. My notebook goes straight to USB 3 disk.

The USB-SATA control chip in the backup disk is important. There are many USB 3 disk enclosures that do not work reliably in Linux until you switch off UAS. The errors are intermittent and switching off UAS for a specific controller chip is tricky. Run lsusb before plugging USB disk then afterwards. Find the new line. FInd the USB ID nnnn.nnnn.

hmsn001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hmsn001 »

@Petermint Thanks for the advices!

Return to “Newbie Questions”