Mouse Settings [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Mouse Settings [Solved]

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I've tried to change my mouse settings in system settings to slow my mouse down. Currently, I can go from one side of a 15" screen to the other side with only 7/8" of travel of the mouse. It stays the same no matter how fast or slowly I move the mouse. That makes fine movements very difficult.

No matter where I set acceleration and sensitivity at, nothing changes. How can I change those settings to slow my little speed demon down?

Btw, I'm using a Logitech M525 mouse. I love this model because it fits my hand better than other mice (mouses? meese?).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mouse Settings

Post by JerryF »

Try checking in your settings to make sure you're adjusting the Logitech mouse. As an example, I have two devices:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Thanks for our response. I have only the one mouse USB, btw) and the *&^%$#@! touch pad has been disabled. I checked the settings again and jiggled the acceleration and sensitivity settings before returning both to slow and suddenly, the mouse "decided" to respond. It now takes two and a quarter inches of mouse movement to go from left to right on the screen. Curious.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bc1x »

Jeanine,
I'm going on the assumption that 1) you would like the option of using the Lenovo touchpad as well as the Logitech mouse & 2) you don't have a touchpad tab in the mouse dialog box.

As explained in these Release Notes for 19.3 Cinnamon, the installed libinput driver is not compatible with Synaptics touchpads. When I installed 19.3 Mate on my Acer 710 Chromebook, the touchpad didn't work at all, requiring the Logitech Trackball mouse from my Dell desktop to be plugged into the Chromebook. The Logitech Trackball functions smoothly in 18.1 Mate,installed on the desktop; but poorly in the Chromebook with 19.3.

I ran the grep command as suggested by the Release Notes & got this:
[ 40.215] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 40.234] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[ 40.259] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[ 40.284] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HD WebCam: HD WebCam'
[ 40.329] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'
[ 40.483] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[ 1375.568] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'
[ 1512.772] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'

I think you would get a similar output.

If you have not installed the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04 driver yet, do so with the Synaptic Package Manager. There is less chance of error with the Manager than with the terminal.

The last step is to construct a .conf file as explained here. You may have had Windows installed previously in the Lenovo laptop with an Elan Synaptics touchpad; therefore the name & text of the .conf file will be different.

My Chromebook had Chrome OS installed previously & has a Cypress APA trackpad; hence the file name chrome.conf with the following text:

softdep chromeos-laptop pre: i2c-i801 i2c-dev post: cyapa

cyapa is an abbreviation for Cypress APA. Another forum member will have to assist you in your .conf file construction. My trackpad now has all its functions. It was unnecessary to start x-window nor run the xinput set-prop command.

Once the .conf file has been constructed & placed in the /etc/modprobe.d folder; hopefully your Elan Synaptics touchpad will work & perhaps the Logitech will
function better as well. With the synaptics driver properly installed & .conf file constructed, the grep command should look something like this:

[ 41.043] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 41.061] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[ 41.087] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[ 41.111] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HD WebCam: HD WebCam'
[ 41.156] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'
[ 41.342] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa)'

with an extra line for the Logitech mouse. Hopefully there be a touchpad tab in the mouse dialog as well.

Overall my Cypress APA trackpad functioned more smoothly in Chrome OS; but with Google having ended support; I had no choice except to switch to Linux Mint, which is far superior to Chome OS.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Have you first eliminated physical problems with the mouse? Dirty ball on an ancient mouse. Cloudy lens on optical mouse.
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

bc1x wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:34 pm Jeanine,
I'm going on the assumption that 1) you would like the option of using the Lenovo touchpad as well as the Logitech mouse & 2) you don't have a touchpad tab in the mouse dialog box.

As explained in these Release Notes for 19.3 Cinnamon, the installed libinput driver is not compatible with Synaptics touchpads. When I installed 19.3 Mate on my Acer 710 Chromebook, the touchpad didn't work at all, requiring the Logitech Trackball mouse from my Dell desktop to be plugged into the Chromebook. The Logitech Trackball functions smoothly in 18.1 Mate,installed on the desktop; but poorly in the Chromebook with 19.3.

I ran the grep command as suggested by the Release Notes & got this:
[ 40.215] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 40.234] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[ 40.259] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[ 40.284] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HD WebCam: HD WebCam'
[ 40.329] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'
[ 40.483] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[ 1375.568] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'
[ 1512.772] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'

I think you would get a similar output.

If you have not installed the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04 driver yet, do so with the Synaptic Package Manager. There is less chance of error with the Manager than with the terminal.

The last step is to construct a .conf file as explained here. You may have had Windows installed previously in the Lenovo laptop with an Elan Synaptics touchpad; therefore the name & text of the .conf file will be different.

My Chromebook had Chrome OS installed previously & has a Cypress APA trackpad; hence the file name chrome.conf with the following text:

softdep chromeos-laptop pre: i2c-i801 i2c-dev post: cyapa

cyapa is an abbreviation for Cypress APA. Another forum member will have to assist you in your .conf file construction. My trackpad now has all its functions. It was unnecessary to start x-window nor run the xinput set-prop command.

Once the .conf file has been constructed & placed in the /etc/modprobe.d folder; hopefully your Elan Synaptics touchpad will work & perhaps the Logitech will
function better as well. With the synaptics driver properly installed & .conf file constructed, the grep command should look something like this:

[ 41.043] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 41.061] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[ 41.087] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[ 41.111] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HD WebCam: HD WebCam'
[ 41.156] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Trackball'
[ 41.342] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa)'

with an extra line for the Logitech mouse. Hopefully there be a touchpad tab in the mouse dialog as well.

Overall my Cypress APA trackpad functioned more smoothly in Chrome OS; but with Google having ended support; I had no choice except to switch to Linux Mint, which is far superior to Chome OS.
Bad assumption. I disabled the touch pad on purpose because I detest the *&^%$#@! things!
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:25 pm Have you first eliminated physical problems with the mouse? Dirty ball on an ancient mouse. Cloudy lens on optical mouse.
I apologize for forgetting to mark the issue as solved. My mice are female so they don't have...uh...you get the point. The lens is clean. I don't know what happened but, after fiddling with the settings one more time after doing the same thing umpteen times already, the mouse suddenly decided to slow down to an acceptable rate.
Jeannie

Return to “Beginner Questions”