How to delete a software and files related to that software completely! - Solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kpp550
Level 1
Level 1

How to delete a software and files related to that software completely! - Solved

Post by kpp550 »

I saw something weird/different happening in my mint.
We all know "youtube-dl".
On windows where we carry/take that "YouTube-dl.exe" it works no matter in which or in what directory it's placed.

(I am trying to explain the whole scenario in detail as much as possible)

My default method to use youtube-dl is....
I place youtube-dl and CMD prompt in one folder and all videos used to go in that folder, without any pain.

SCENARIO ONE -

Recently I changed my OS from Windows to mint I had some troubles with youtube-dl at first in mint but
And yes it's 'BIG BUT'.
In mint
I had youtube-dl of size 1.8mb the symbol of that file was pythons (the blue & yellow snakes).
As usual I made a folder and
Placed youtube-dl with terminal there in that folder.
And just like windows I opened it with terminal (by that I mean dragging the youtube-dl over terminal, u guess this step won't have any effect on terminal since it's Linux and not windows)
I put commands and even successfully downloaded video and that video went right exactly into that folder!!!

(In this scenario I had no separate home partition)

SCENARIO TWO -
But for some reasons I had to freshly install my mint (ofcourse it erased all the old data).

In new mint it didn't work as I thought it gives me error
As
No such file or directory exist in use/local/bin

(In this scenario I have a separate partition for "/home".

Now to my questions
1) did what happened in 'Scenario One' happen bcuz I had installed youtube-dl with "curl" command?
(Although I don't remember how I installed youtube-dl since I had faced many difficulties and I forgot,sorry)

2) how can I install applications like youtube-dl in any directory or particular directory/partition? Or it's not possible?

3) I am going to try with "curl" command but before that I don't want any of the remaining pieces of youtube-dl to interfere at all,if they do at all to begin with.
(Since I have noticed even after purge command, autoclean command, files with name youtube-dl (I just put that name in search bar) were still in my system those commands didn't get rid of them.

So are there any commands or any way which can delete/uninstall a software with files related to it completely or at least 99%?
Last edited by kpp550 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How to delete a software and files related to that software completely!

Post by pbear »

Assuming we're talking about an ordinary app installed the ordinary way, there's no reason to be concerned if copies of the package remain somewhere on the computer. The package file can only do anything if installed. Or you can track 'em down and delete, if it makes you happy. Regular ol' delete in File Manager will be fine. You only need to use apt/dpkg for installed packages.
kpp550
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kpp550 »

pbear wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:36 pm
Assuming we're talking about an ordinary app installed the ordinary way,

Yes we are.
there's no reason to be concerned if copies of the package remain somewhere on the computer.

Copies of package? I didn't get that completely, are we talking about ".deb" files.
The package file can only do anything if installed. Or you can track 'em down and delete, if it makes you happy. Regular ol' delete in File Manager will be fine. You only need to use apt/dpkg for installed packages.
I see so the command like below are enough.
< Sudo apt purge youtube-dl
Sudo apt purge youtube-dl* >
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

kpp550 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 am
Copies of package? I didn't get that completely, are we talking about ".deb" files.
This would be easier to explain if you would to a search, find one of these files you're concerned about, and post its name and location.

No point running purge again. It's already done all it can do. :wink:

By the way, just occurred to me your searches might be finding copies of the package in Timeshift snapshots. Also harmless.
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squiggles3 »

I installed youtube-dl just last week from the Mint repositories and had this same issue. Installing the latest version, using the method described on the youtube-dl website fixed the problem.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to delete a software and files related to that software completely! - Solved

Post by Pierre »

you should, as an general rule, only Install programs that are from the Mint repositories,
& as that will also make them easier to remove, again.

that being said, there is always going to be an exception to that rule,
and then you do need to note, just how you Installed that extra program,
so that you are then able to remove that said program, where necessary.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”