Mapping a NAS drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
yeroc1970
Level 1
Level 1

Mapping a NAS drive

Post by yeroc1970 »

Hello,

I've just installed Linux Mint 19.3 and I'm liking it so far, but I've run into a problem that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

I have a DNS-325 NAS setup to be accessed without credentials. I can get it to mount without issues and have configured 'Gigolo' to make it auto-mount on startup.

The problem is that I want to map it to a folder so that Plex can see it and access it.

I've tried following the instructions here...

viewtopic.php?t=144608

..., but when I enter this line...

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs -o  guest,sec=ntlm,uid=1000 //share-center.local/Volume_1/Video /home/jsmith/share
...I get the following error:

mount error(2): No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
I've tried the using the actual IP address instead of 'share-center.local', but the result is the same.

On my Mac, I've tried 'smb//share-center.local/Volume_1/Video' and it automatically mounts the drive and takes me right to the folder, so I know that the path is correct.

Once I can get it to mount via a terminal command, I will then edit 'fstab' to do it automatically.

Anyway, I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for after hours of searching online and looking in the mount.cifs manual, so if someone could help me get over this hump, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Last edited by yeroc1970 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jonau01
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mapping a NAS drive

Post by jonau01 »

Add vers=1.0 ( or vers=2.0 ) in your command to see if it would work. ( only a guess )
yeroc1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeroc1970 »

Thanks for the reply.

So, I entered...

mount -V
...to get the version, and the response was...

mount from util-linux 2.31.1 (libmount 2.31.1: selinux, btrfs, assert, debug)
Where in the following line should I put

vers=x.0
?
jonau01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jonau01 »

sudo mount -t cifs -o guest,sec=ntlm,uid=1000,vers=1.0 .....
yeroc1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeroc1970 »

You're brilliant!!!

That worked.
:-)

Thanks!

I edited 'fstab' and that works too.

Plex was able to import everything from the NAS drive into the 'Movies' and 'TV' libraries I created.

By the way, for anyone else following this thread, here's what I added to 'fstab' to make everything work automatically on startup:

//share-center.local/Volume_1/Video /home/jsmith/share cifs guest,sec=ntlm,uid=1000,vers=1.0 0 0
If you're using a DNS-325 like I am, your 'fstab' line might be something like this:

//ADDRESS/Volume_1/SOME/FOLDER /home/USERNAME/YOUR/FOLDER cifs guest,sec=ntlm,uid=1000,vers=1.0 0 0
ADDRESS is the address of your NAS (e.g. 192.168.1.120, share-center.local, etc)
SOME/FOLDER is the directory under 'Volume_1' that you want mount in Linux Mint
YOU is your username (e.g. 'jsmith')
YOUR/FOLDER is the file path to (and including) the folder in your 'Home' directory (when you double-click on the 'Home' desktop shortcut) that you want to share with other software on the system (e.g. Plex).
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

yeroc1970 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm
You're brilliant!!!

That worked.
:-)

Thanks!
If you have password protected chares like I do on my DNS-313, then the command is:

sudo mount -t cifs -o  user=myuser,sec=ntlm,uid=1000,vers=1.0 //mynas/Volume_1-1/MUSIC /home/myuser/mydns
and you'll get password prompt...
yeroc1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeroc1970 »

Hello,

Well, everything was working just great on my Plex server PC, until Plex just stopped working.
So, I took a look at it and the problem was that the hard drive was almost completely full.
I couldn't even get Chrome or Firefox to launch.

So, I disconnected the NAS drive's Ethernet cable and restarted my PC (the one running Linux Mint), which miraculously freed up 8GB space.
At that point I was able to launch both Chrome and Firefox again.

Then, after leaving the PC running for about a half hour with the NAS drive disconnected from the network, my hard drive space increased to over 11GB.

So, I plugged the NAS drive back into the Network and restarted my PC once more. As soon as I logged in my hard drive started filling up again.
I had to disconnect the NAS drive again when the PC hard drive only had 4GB of space left.

I then left the PC running for a couple of days and just recently checked it. There's over 132GB of free space now, which sounds about right for what's on that PC.

So, at this point, I'm not sure if this is a Linux Mint problem or a Plex problem (I will post this on the latter's forum too).

Based on my set up, as described in this thread, can anyone think of a non-Plex reason why this could happen?

Anyway, hopefully someone can help me out here. I basically need to solve this by Saturday afternoon (PST).

Cheers!

Return to “Newbie Questions”