Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first!

Post by Spearmint2 »

MartineM wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:
Not happy that I have to allow javascript on facebook already if I want to use it. :(
You can open firefox and in the location area type in about:config and turn off javascripting if you really want to. Look for javascript:enabled and can change from true to false.
But can I use Facebook then?
Cause I had to turn it on or I could not see anything on Facebook.
That's the price you pay, but someone already answered that one for you. Turning off all javascript isn't great for browsing. When I do it, most often it's to get rid of a "cover" that comes up and blocks content I wish to read, so since most of those are javascript, I can read the "covered" site at least while I have it off, then I turn it back on. Another tactic is to "view source" from a right clk and just find the clear text on the page and read it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Fred Barclay wrote:I use the NoScript addon and just allow scripts for sites as I need 'em. NoScript can remember your choices so you'll only have to allow Facebook once, while still blocking javascript on the other websites. :)

Or, for sites that require a lot of scripts, I have Google Chrome as a backup browser.
Yes It is because of that add-on that I knew I had to allow on facebook, also on speedtest, but I think it is a great that I can choose now where to allow it and by default that it is not allowed.

I also have Ghostery installed, selfdestruct cookies and Better Privacy and Add block plus.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

MartineM wrote:... and Add block plus.
You may have different results than me, but I found that I didn't need an addblocker when using NoScript. :)
My personal list of addons are:
NoScript
HTTPSEverywhere (redirects all links to https if possible. Can even be configured to require all traffic to be https but that breaks a lot of sites.)
Privacy Badger (stops a lot of trackers. Both it and HTTPS Everywhere are from the EFF.)

And then, of course, I also keep all of my browsers sandboxed with firejail.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

MartineM wrote:But can I use Facebook then?
No.
That is your price for using FB.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Fred Barclay wrote:You may have different results than me, but I found that I didn't need an addblocker when using NoScript. :)
You may come to a different result, if you install an adblocker and watch the filter list for the hits after some time of usage. Some of the filters have here (NS is installed and very rarely set to allow) more than 100.000 hits.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Fred Barclay wrote: You may have different results than me, but I found that I didn't need an addblocker when using NoScript. :)
I use both and adblockers are useful. They block so many images and disturbing popups. :lol:

I also use a huge hosts list. Therefore a lot of poisonous pictures/popups/scripts are blocked without even being loaded. :wink:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

justinvirk wrote:does Ubuntu have to be defragmented and cleaned out periodically like Windows?
The file system will not be fragmented if you stay bellow 80% of disk occupancy. So answer is normally no.
justinvirk wrote:And what about virus protection
If you don't do stupid things, like opening every scripts you find in the Internet, you are safe. Also don't run your browser and mail reader as ROOT (we have seen this). Don't run them in Wine (we have seen this also). In fact stay away of Wine and you are safe :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

justinvirk wrote:Incidentally,I have a dumb question for y`all---does Ubuntu have to be defragmented and cleaned out periodically like Windows? If so...how do I go about doing it?
And what about virus protection---is this server susceptible to viruses,which are usually written in "exe.files"that constantly plague Windows? Did some mad genius come up with a virus that can penetrate this Linux script?
You've come to the right thread. Start reading at the beginning of it and you'll have your answers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Fred Barclay wrote:
MartineM wrote:... and Add block plus.
You may have different results than me, but I found that I didn't need an addblocker when using NoScript. :)
My personal list of addons are:
NoScript
HTTPSEverywhere (redirects all links to https if possible. Can even be configured to require all traffic to be https but that breaks a lot of sites.)
Privacy Badger (stops a lot of trackers. Both it and HTTPS Everywhere are from the EFF.)

And then, of course, I also keep all of my browsers sandboxed with firejail.
Oh yes I forgot I used Privacy badger already in windows to bu not now in Linux. But now with all the new add-ons I installed I do not know it it is still necessary to install Privacy badger to?
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

killer de bug wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote: You may have different results than me, but I found that I didn't need an addblocker when using NoScript. :)
I use both and adblockers are useful. They block so many images and disturbing popups. :lol:

I also use a huge hosts list. Therefore a lot of poisonous pictures/popups/scripts are blocked without even being loaded. :wink:
I get it on my nerves from those stupid pop-ups so that was the first add-on I installed. :P
Wildman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Wildman »

The WEB browser I am using is Firefox and I have added Ad-Aware. I have not yet seen one pop up or annoying add. Keep in mind however that I am very new to Linux.
Always,
Wildman
The price of freedom is not free.

All gave some an d some gave all.

All gave some.
Some gave all.
flygrounder

Post by flygrounder »

+1 I think Mozilla is the best choice for Linux: Privacy, stability, a lot of awesome add-ons. For Windows I prefer Yandex:fast, useful, stable. For Linux it is in beta and not everything works correctly.
stevemw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stevemw »

Awesome post. Very useful for Linux newbies :) and for computer newbies
Thanks

Steve
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Very informative posts. Thank you guys for your input. Nicely put....always use common sense. I'm new in Linux OS and I'm here to learn.
metarhyme

Post by metarhyme »

ClamTk is an anti-virus available in Mint via System -> Software Manager -> search "Clam". I found that a reset from automatic to manual updating in Update Assistant, then requesting an update, then seeing that the Antivirus signatures went from zero to 22364 (in my case) got this modest AV ready to check suspicious files. No doubt if one were running a mail server the ClamTk GUI wouldn't be as good as command line Clamav, but all I want is a courtesy check of files that may be shared.
Root13

Post by Root13 »

I've heard about LInux virus protection, but no need for defragging is new to me. Now I like Linux even more)
1-Earth-Inhabitant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1-Earth-Inhabitant »

Actually all file systems on Hard Drives/Solid State Drives can become fragmented. And any system of data organization has both pros and cons.

Also there is no such thing as an OS that is incapable of being invaded by trojans, worms, viruses, etc.

What's my point? It's a fools game to count on Linux or any OS as being 100% secure or 'better' performing than any other. As it all depends on what purpose/preferences one has for any particular computer system.

So for one to 'eliminate,' as being available, either antivirus or fragmentation programs from any particular OS platform is asking for trouble, if only eventually. There's nothing worse than being lulled into a false sense of security, only to be let down abruptly. As my sensei always said: "It's always best to expect the unexpected." One also should never count their chickens before they're hatched.

Just a word to the wise!
'I only know, that I know nothing' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods.

MB ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming,
CPU Core i7-12700K
RAM CMK32GX4M2D3600C18
VC Phoenix GeForce RTX 3060 V2
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

This rather ozonic statement belongs in the Privacy and Security subforum. :wink:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jeanpaulberes

Post by jeanpaulberes »

ALthough Linux OS'es are indeed very safe and Virus resistant, due to some choices within Linux Mint and some other very User friendly distros (installing Microsoft compatible apps .. like f.i. Mono, Skype, ...), viruses and Malware can infect your system !

Some stuff can be done to prevent this at max, like already activating the firewall (Gufw).
Other useful stuff to do can be to install a Rootkit scanner, like f.i. RKHUNTER

into TERMINAL:
sudo apt install rkhunter

Don't forget afterwards to update the Virus data file, through:
sudo rkhunter --update

and later the check can be performed through :
sudo rkhunter --check

Have fun with your linux system
JP
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

jeanpaulberes wrote:ALthough Linux OS'es are indeed very safe and Virus resistant, due to some choices within Linux Mint and some other very User friendly distros (installing Microsoft compatible apps .. like f.i. Mono, Skype, ...), viruses and Malware can infect your system !
Examples please. Otherwise you're spreading FUD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_unc ... _and_doubt
Some stuff can be done to prevent this at max, like already activating the firewall (Gufw).
That's a good tip. :)
Other useful stuff to do can be to install a Rootkit scanner, like f.i. RKHUNTER
I disagree. For a desktop user, that's worse than useless.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”