Bad Hard Drive Sectors

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bad Hard Drive Sectors

Post by haystack »

Okay, here's what I got.

I entered sudo lsusb, and it gave me:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 13d3:5a01 IMC Networks
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 413c:301a Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I also tried the code you gave me.
I entered it as just "options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u", and I entered "sudo options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u". I got "options: command not found" and "sudo: options: command not found".
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

That is a line in a file.

Code: Select all

sudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage quirks.conf
Insert the line at the end.

options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u
Reboot. Test.

Command line addicts can probably recite commands to do this 18 different ways and will be shocked to see a file edited with an editor instead of vim or vi or v or -v or -iv or -miv. :mrgreen:

One of many USB drives failing with UAS:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... er-problem
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

Okay, so, I think I did this right, probably didn't, but you can tell me how much of a dunce I am and I won't get mad.

So I entered that first command, the "sudo xed" one, into the terminal. That opened up my text editor with two tabs, each with a different name (I don't remember what the names were off hand).

I copy/pasted the second thing, the "options usb-storage" one, into one of the tabs, saved the file (don't really know where the file saved to), and then rebooted. After the reboot, I opened the disk utility and started the self test again. But it said "Self-test Result: Self-test in progress - 10% remaining", and it sat there with 10% remaining for like ~20 minutes. It went from 100% remaining down to 10% remaining super fast, like within 2-3 minutes, and then stayed at 10% remaining for 20 minutes.

I did stop the test, unplugged the drive from my usb 3.0 port, and then plugged it into one of the other usb ports, which i think is probably usb 2.0 or something, and I'm currently running the test again to see what happens.

Here's a couple screenshots of what I'm looking at.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 11-41-59 (1).png
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 11-41-46 (1).png
Edit: I terminated the second test because it ended up sitting on "10% remaining for ~30 minutes.
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

Here's an update for you guys. The new enclosure was just delivered to my house here within the last 20 minutes or so. I've already taken the hdd out of the old enclosure and put it in the new one.

I connected it to my laptop, switched it on, and I opened the disc utility. The smart tools option wasn't available (first thing I checked), so I decided to format it again (even though there's nothing on it). I checked the erase option, and I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but it's saying that the process will take 17 hours and 50-something minutes (as opposed to the 1 day and 12 hours (if I remember correctly) that it said when I had it in the old enclosure.

I'm hoping that this will at least get the smart tools option to become available again, if nothing else.

The new enclosure is an Orico. Again, I've never heard of that brand name before. I purchased it off Amazon.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Orico is generally a good brand but some have USB 3 chips that need UAS switched off. You will probably find an ASMedia chip but a later model. Run lsusb on the new device.

What is the model number on the Orico enclosure? I have some including the transparent one so you do not have to open the case to work out what is inside.

Ah! :shock: Command should be:

sudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage-quirks.conf
Open file manager.
At the top left, hit the back arrow.
Select the disk icon.
Select the etc directory then the modprobe.d directory.
You will probably find a directory named usb-storage containing a file quirks.conf.
What you need in directory /etc/modprobe.d/ is a file named usb-storage-quirks.conf.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

haystack wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:12 pm
I checked the erase option...
Bad move. That option overwrites every single byte on the drive. It will take ages to complete. A format is enough.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

So, you're saying I need to access this file, "usb-storage-quirks.conf", and type the text "options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u" into the file and save it? Am I understanding that correctly?
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

So, I tried it again. I typed in "sudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/usb-storage-quirks.conf", entered my password, my text editor created a file named "usb-storage-quirks.conf", I copy/pasted the text "options usb-storage quirks=174c:55aa:u", saved the file, and it spit back the following:

** (xed: 11554): WARNING **: (what looks like an IP address): Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-spell-language not supported.

Oh, and as a side note, there's now two files in my modprobe.d folder. One is titled "usb-storage", and the other is "usb-storage-quirks.conf". I hope that won't mess anything up.

I haven't rebooted yet, but I'll let you know what happens.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

The magic of that Intertubes thingy. Mr/Mrs/Ms Google presented the following link when I searched for the error.
viewtopic.php?t=294556

Now Google knows I am interested in Linux Mint and will bombard me with advertising for mint toothpaste, mint e-cigs, mint ... :evil:
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

This is where I did the self test in the disk utility that comes with Linux Mint after doing the "sudo xed" thing again.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 21-29-17 (1).png
After rebooting from doing the "sudo xed" thing the second time, I went into the terminal and entered "lsusb" and got this. This was with the hdd in the original RSHTECH enclosure.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 21-29-48 (1).png
This is same conditions as the previous pic, but with the new Orico enclosure. It is an Orico 3588US3.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 21-29-48 (2).png
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

I'm posting this in a separate reply because it won't let me post 4 pics in a single reply. I downloaded GSmartControl from the Software Manager. I double clicked the icon for the hdd, and navigated to the "Statistics" tab. I did not perform any tests on this hdd with GSmartControl.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 21-31-15 (1).png
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Googlated that USB id. "linux usb id 0080:a001" Lots of hits including Ubuntu. Do the same modprobe change to switch off UAS. Add the following line and reboot.

options usb-storage quirks=0080:a001:u
https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:0080-a001
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=245295
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

I did what you recommended. And the drive still failed the test.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 22-58-03 (1).png
Twice.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 23-00-56 (1).png
I should have the new drive by Friday, so at least I won't have to wait too long.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

COVID-19 -> bats->humans -> cats -> disks

Return to “Newbie Questions”