XFCE profile reset after running startx + super/win key doesn't open app. menu anymore

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anijatsu

XFCE profile reset after running startx + super/win key doesn't open app. menu anymore

Post by anijatsu »

I switch to Linux Mint since I wanted to focus on work. I get greeted by a terminal. It seems startx is complaining about my Xorg conf file for disabling mouse accel.
Fine, I edit the offending part out - adding in quotes around a float:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "My Mouse"
            Driver "libinput"
            MatchIsPointer "yes"
            Option "AccelProfile" "flat"
            Option "AccelSpeed" "0.0"
 EndSection
I type startx after I save the file in nano. It seems XFCE starts... but it's reset my panels...? The taskbar is now at the top of my monitor, and I have an application launcher panel at the bottom. And of course the AccelSpeed property from the Xorg config still doesn't work, just as usual.

I reboot via terminal, thinking startx perhaps just missed some config files that the login daemon normally would?
I get to the GUI login screen this time. I log in, and have the same interface, but with my previously selected dark theme... What could have happened?
Oh, also my Win key doesn't open the applications menu anymore:
photo_2020-04-21_12-44-34.jpg
I get "Super L already triggers this action" when I try to rebind it.
In that Mint application for issues reporting I had a message to add the XApp widget to the panel, so I did that, but I also noticed that the Light-Locker application crashed due to libglib or something. Could that be related?

Hence:
  • Why did startx seemingly reset my XFCE panel config/settings?
  • How do I find my previous config, or figure out where it went?
  • How do I fix the Windows key binding?
  • Is there a way around having to use xinput in a terminal after every boot so that my mouse is usable, since the Xorg config doesn't apply the speed property?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mblend27
Level 1
Level 1

Re: XFCE profile reset after running startx + super/win key doesn't open app. menu anymore

Post by mblend27 »

A few people have complained about xfce resetting panel settings after reboot, mine was caused by: sudo bash -c $'echo "neofetch" >> /etc/profile.d/mymotd.sh && chmod +x /etc/profile.d/mymotd.sh' I was able to fix by removing said sh file after reboot, then restoring my .configs from a backup (xfce configs mainly). If I keep the SH file in my profile.d dir, it will keep resetting my desktop settings, im not sure what my wm-detect was before this issue, but it is now xfwm4 (maybe this bug simply changing our desktop environment settings from compiz or something? not sure what the default was when I installed, anyone need any more info from me?

As far as I knew, no one could recreate this bug consistently, but I can now, which is why i joined this forum to respond and hopefully get an answer/solution.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: XFCE profile reset after running startx + super/win key doesn't open app. menu anymore

Post by MrEen »

I've said in the past that using /startx may be one common cause of this issue. Use /startxfce4 instead and see if that resolves the issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”