I tap WindowsLogo & search for Syna, I get "Mouse&Touchpad". I don't want that. I want Synaptic Manager.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

I tap WindowsLogo & search for Syna, I get "Mouse&Touchpad". I don't want that. I want Synaptic Manager.

Post by pepperminty »

When I press the Windows Logo on my keyboard (which brings up the Mint Menu), and start typing "Syna"..., I see "Mouse and Touchpad" over "Synaptic Package Manager". Why do I see "Mouse and Touchpad"? And how do I remove "Mouse and Touchpad" from the search results of '"Syna"...?
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I tap WindowsLogo & search for Syna, I get "Mouse&Touchpad". I don't want that. I want Synaptic Manager.

Post by Moem »

Because there is a mouse and touchpad driver called Synaptics. Try typing 'pack' instead.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I tap WindowsLogo & search for Syna, I get "Mouse&Touchpad". I don't want that. I want Synaptic Manager.

Post by pepperminty »

Thanks for your reply, Moem.

Okay... is there a way to remove the link between "synaptics' and "mouse and touchpad". This is my computer, and for me, synaptics is all about Synaptic Package Manager. I want to personalize my computer.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Not that I know of. It's what the driver is called, I don't think there is an easy way to change that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

pepperminty wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Thanks for your reply, Moem.

Okay... is there a way to remove the link between "synaptics' and "mouse and touchpad". This is my computer, and for me, synaptics is all about Synaptic Package Manager. I want to personalize my computer.
Yep

Copy Mouse & Touchpads default desktop file to your home

Code: Select all

cp /usr/share/applications/cinnamon-settings-mouse.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
Open it in a text editor

xed ~/.local/share/applications/cinnamon-settings-mouse.desktop
Navigate to the keywords line and remove synaptic as a keyword. Save the file and exit the text editor.

Keywords=mouse;touchpad;synaptic;double-click;
Restart Cinnamon with Ctrl-Alt-Esc
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

thanks, smurphos!

When I get to my linux mint laptop, I plan to do the edits you have helpfully suggested!

I've deleted all the other languages. Now the file looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Icon=cs-mouse
Exec=cinnamon-settings mouse
Type=Application
OnlyShowIn=X-Cinnamon;
Categories=Settings;
Name=Mouse and Touchpad
Comment=Control mouse and touchpad settings
Keywords=mouse;touchpad;double-click;
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:48 am

Copy Mouse & Touchpads default desktop file to your home

cp /usr/share/applications/cinnamon-settings-mouse.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
hi smurphos, I fresh-installed mint 20 on my computer and now when i run the above command...
me@lap:~$ cp /usr/share/applications/cinnamon-settings-mouse.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
cp: cannot create regular file '/home/me/.local/share/applications/': Not a directory
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Run this first

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

Thanks, smurphos. that solved things. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”