bash terminal does not allow installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aayan981

bash terminal does not allow installation

Post by aayan981 »

i am not being able to install any software using the terminal ,every time i tried to get a software install using the bash i always get this respond E: Unable to locate package ? please help me fix this issue ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: bash terminal doesn"t allow installation

Post by xenopeek »

Which command did you use? Give a few package names you tried to install. And which Linux Mint version are you on.
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: bash terminal doesn"t allow installation

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Try sudo apt-get update and then try again.
aayan981

Re: bash terminal does not allow installation

Post by aayan981 »

sudo apt-get install shotcut:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package shotcut.
The sudo-apt get update command is also been used for numerous times but it didn't help either. For every type of software installation i face this issue. please help me fix it in a way so, that i don't face any problem while installing any software later on?

zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

check for a package in the default repository like this:

Code: Select all

apt search shotcut
But it will tell you that this one does not exist in the default repository. Well, it does not tell you, but the command does return nothing, which means nothing is found.

You can install this package because it is definitely available(but this is not useful for you):

apt install lolcat
but not shotcut.

For shotcut you can search the internet for a ppa, or you can check their website to see if they have a good way to install for Mint. The website does show that this software is available with flatpak, or with appimage.

You can install this in Mint using the Software Manager very easy, instead of terminal. Search and you will find this shotcut package using the flatpak version from flathub repo.

If you wanted to install that using terminal you can search to find it like this:

zcot@zcot-MF-8305:~$ flatpak search shotcut
Application ID      Version  Branch Remotes Description 
org.shotcut.Shotcut 20.04.12 stable flathub Video editor
-this does show the name(Application ID), and it also shows the repository(Remotes) which is flathub. So now you can install the flatpak version using terminal like this:

flatpak install flathub org.shotcut.Shotcut

You can mention some other software packages that you want to install, and someone can help you find out what is wrong, or what other options you have for them.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

You also should read How to install software in Linux Mint, sticky thread at top of Newbie Forum.

Return to “Beginner Questions”