Compatibility of Ryzen 3700x, x570 unify MB, Nividia 1660 Super with linux mint 19.3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bronson53
Level 1
Level 1

Compatibility of Ryzen 3700x, x570 unify MB, Nividia 1660 Super with linux mint 19.3

Post by bronson53 »

Hello,
First time trying a Linux OS. Don't like being force to buy a product. Just need some info regarding the compatibility of Linux Mint 19.3 or any Linux current OS when it's paired up with a 3700x or 3900x CPU, MSI x570 Unify MB, and a Nividia 1660 Super, Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU's.
While I'm on here is Linux Mint good for beginners? I can't find a Book on this specific version of Linux Mint. Thanks.

Gerard

gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Compatibility of Ryzen 3700x, x570 unify MB, Nividia 1660 Super with linux mint 19.3

Post by gittiest personITW »

There won't be a definite answer.
You'd have to try it. At the start - when you try the Live Mint then you'll have a better idea.
Usually, most hardware will work, to some degree, even if it takes a bit of playing with initially.

bronson53
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Compatibility of Ryzen 3700x, x570 unify MB, Nividia 1660 Super with linux mint 19.3

Post by bronson53 »

"even if it takes a bit of playing with initially" What would that entail? How can I get around
a incompatibility issue? Thanks for your reply.

gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Who knows?
What would the problem be?
Will there be a problem?
Do I exist?
Crystal ball in the workshop at the moment. Seems it doesn't take to being thrown at the wall.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

bronson53 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm
"even if it takes a bit of playing with initially" What would that entail? How can I get around
a incompatibility issue? Thanks for your reply.
Well, if you have a big incompatibility issue and boot with a live USB version of the OS it just won't boot. Or you'll have crappy graphics, HDMI won't connect, or something else doesn't work like sound, usb, networking. And so on. Usually it works, Like trump says...Just try it...It'll be beautiful

Poke around the newbie forum, you'll see what folks run up against. Realize that most folks don't have those issues so they don't post
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Yeah with such a recent CPU you are just going to have to try your luck. Download your preferred 19.3 version of Mint and when you have burnt that iso to a DVD or usb key drive run that in what is called a 'Live session' where the OS will run from the media and NOT be installed on the harddrive/SSD.

This is always the very best way to try out Mint on any system, as it allows you to see if there are obvious problems with your hardware, and you risk nothing as you are not installing it.

I have a first gen Ryzen 1600 and a 1650 Super GPU and they work great on the older 19.1 version of Mint i'm using.

But yeah until you run that Live Session no-one can really tell you in advance, unless they had exactly the same hardware as you :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

bronson53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bronson53 »

Zak,
Thanks for your answer. I have the OS on a USB so I'll try a live session...Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”