Can I still use 17.3?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Locked
pbear
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5664
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by pbear »

trytip wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 am
my banner doesn't mean a thing you don't want it to mean
Why are you addressing this to me? I merely told the OP how to control what shows up on his screen when he reads the Forum.
And one can prefer to read threads uncluttered with loud sigs and GIFfy avatars without objecting to content.
User avatar
trytip
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by trytip »

pbear wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:00 pm
trytip wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 am
my banner doesn't mean a thing you don't want it to mean
Why are you addressing this to me? I merely told the OP how to control what shows up on his screen when he reads the Forum.
And one can prefer to read threads uncluttered with loud sigs and GIFfy avatars without objecting to content.
correct: one has freedom to do as they choose. including me
if the OP doesn't know how to turn off animation in the internets, why is that my problem?
you must be old enough to read people's bumper stickers at a stop light, right? you judge or you accept.
i don't give a crap either way
Image
pbear
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5664
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by pbear »

trytip wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 am
i don't give a crap either way
That must be why you keep posting about it. :roll:
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by Shadow in Fire »

As someone who still uses 18.3, I can emphasize. The main reason I refuse to "upgrade" has to do with Systemd being forced as init. I actually tested an upgrade to 19.3 on a separate machine, and it was abysmal. A lot of my configs and other settings were totally ruined, even after updating my repositories. The system wasn't as snappy, either.

That leaves me to two options: either stay with 18.3 until LTS officially ends in April 2021 or switch to a non-Systemd distro (e.g. Devuan, Artix GNU/Linux). I've officially started embracing rolling releases more, so I'm going to be dumping Debian bases altogether.

I'm just going to have to deal with having more than one OS on my disk while making the transition. Ah, well...
pbear
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5664
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by pbear »

Pretty sure 18.x uses systemd. Nearly certain, even. If you want to escape systemd, MX Linux probably is the best alternative. Has, but not enabled by default. Or you can try antiX (same developers), which has fewer options but entirely systemd-free.
User avatar
GS3
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1863
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by GS3 »

Shadow in Fire wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 am
As someone who still uses 18.3, I can emphasize.
I am quite emphatical myself. And very unanimous too.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
User avatar
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22
Posts: 15930
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by Pjotr »

GS3 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 am
Shadow in Fire wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 am
As someone who still uses 18.3, I can emphasize.
I am quite emphatical myself. And very unanimous too.
No you're not! You're a torn soul. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
User avatar
trytip
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by trytip »

pbear wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am
trytip wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 am
i don't give a crap either way
That must be why you keep posting about it. :roll:
i have freedom to do as i choose including "Yo I'm eating a sun-dip right now not giving a [redacted]"
Image
User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11989
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
You are not free to use profanity in this forum, including when it's spelled cre8ively.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by Shadow in Fire »

pbear wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm
Pretty sure 18.x uses systemd. Nearly certain, even. If you want to escape systemd, MX Linux probably is the best alternative. Has, but not enabled by default. Or you can try antiX (same developers), which has fewer options but entirely systemd-free.
While Systemd is near-impossible to purge (due to essential package dependencies), you can still boot with the Upstart init. This quick guide can show you how to do that for Xenial. On Xfce, this was the most fruitful of the DEs to tinker with.

In terms of a Debian-based distro that's strictly anti-Systemd in every way, shape, and form, Devuan wins, hands down. As you said, MX GNU/Linux has it available by default, albeit disabled.

Still, I'm at a point where I might give up Debian and Ubuntu altogether, due to how much of a pain their package manager can be when there are broken packages or dependencies that could result in wiping your system clean. To add to that, packages are usually older and not as secure as the latest and greatest (except for Debian Testing, PPAs, and such). With Ubuntu in particular, Canonical has proven yet again that they don't care about their consumers, going for a Microsoft-type approach to software by attacking user freedom. GNU/Linux Mint is great because it avoids most of the pitfalls of the typical Ubuntu installation, yet it couldn't be more like Ubuntu than any other Ubuntu-based distro.
User avatar
trytip
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:28 am
Mod note:
You are not free to use profanity in this forum, including when it's spelled creatively.
you seem to have missed the point of that post entirely. change it but i don't need to be told what to do. i believe a few colorful words spelled creatively is the least of my worries and yours.

i do not post offensive material. a word is not a bad word simply because you say it's a bad word. and even so, my words should not offend you.
Image
rene
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6693
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by rene »

Something tells me I'd in fact much better stay out of this but...

Do note that as Linux related forums go the Linux Mint forum is "relatively special" through being less crass than is average in this sphere. Yes, I (also) very much tend to side with "feeling free" but the fact of the matter is that neither you nor I are to every degree. And whereas I recently got away with something more crass still than your moderated out text, I wasn't expecting to, and you moreover should at least agree that your original choice of words is commonly considered profanity.

Given the many other opportunities out there for crass technical discussion I personally feel it not a necessarily bad thing that this one particular forum is kept less so, and moreover find the moderation team to do a fairly good job balancing on that line, allowing people such as you and me to without having to take responsibility for the outcome proclaim our independence.

Were they not taking said responsibility we'd need to do so ourselves and, be honest, that would clearly suck big time...
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by cliffcoggin »

It has occurred to me several times recently that this forum has become more abrasive and adversarial in nature than it was a year ago. There's nothing wrong in strongly held opinions of course, but tact and good manners should always prevail when it comes to their expression.
Cliff Coggin
rene
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6693
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by rene »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 am
[ ... ] but tact and good manners should always prevail when it comes to their expression.
Not over fact, no, and on a technology forum even those contributions that constitute neither fact nor opinion would on the whole tend to more often be closer to former than latter. Such is my dearly held opinion --- and if I were to take your observation as given I would hence consider this forum to have gotten better.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5664
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by pbear »

The rules are very clear. "Any decision made by an administrator or moderator is final and should be respected. Do not argue with Staff directly in a topic; if you wish to discuss an issue, contact through e-mail or PM (Private Message)."

Would have enjoyed responding, but didn't. When a mod intervenes, stop squabbling. That's how this game is played. Simple, really.
rene
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6693
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by rene »

I'm fairly sure you just triggered trytip into another round :P
User avatar
GS3
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1863
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by GS3 »

pbear wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm
Pretty sure 18.x uses systemd.
As long as it does not use profanity it should be ok. Right?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Vilsen wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:06 am
Yes , I wonder : can I still use Linux MINT MATE 17.3 ?

There are som "items " in the update-list that never have been done
but it is working just fine and I have no problem whatsoever
to use it in my daily work.

Why should I even consider to struggle with newer versions ?
For a system that can be upgraded then my opinion is no. Upgrade to keep the security of the system and programs updated. This assumes upgrading will not cause any issues. Particularly with possible older hardware dropped from the kernel or alternatively proprietary drivers that are not supported past a kernel version.

I have 16 core server that does well, many things. It needed to have a GUI and I chose Mint. 17. It now runs 18.2 but because the proprietary RAID card driver will not compile properly past Kernel 4.8 (technically 4.2 but I was able to get it this far, this is where it will remain; for all time. Most online presence is through the Ubuntu Server VM's on it and it has high level protection via my IPFIRE firewall.

Have another server running ESXi 6.5. ESXI 6.7 and 7 don't support the hardware. So again, here it will remain whether supported or not. Sometimes it is necessary. This said, if it is possible to move forward then you should.
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16C/32T | MSI x470 Gaming Pro | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia RTX2080 OC | Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon
pbear
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5664
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by pbear »

Back on topic, nice.
DisturbedDragon wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 pm
This assumes upgrading will not cause any issues.
That's quite an assumption. Did you happen to see karlchen's demo about upgrading from 17.3 to 19? And, of course, 18.x doesn't have much support left, so upgrading only halfway isn't worth much. Upgrade usually works (not always), but can be complicated and a lot of work.
DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Can I still use 17.3?

Post by DisturbedDragon »

The assumption comes with very simple solutions though. Perform a system image before upgrading. This should be done anyway. Could also boot from live media to see if it all works. Given the age of the system, if it works live, it should work fine installed.
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16C/32T | MSI x470 Gaming Pro | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia RTX2080 OC | Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon
Locked

Return to “Newbie Questions”