Eye strain and display settings?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Eye strain and display settings?

Post by pd77 »

I installed linux mint cinnamon on my laptop Thinkpad T420 few days ago on a second hard disk. On the first hard disk i have Windows 7. I have noticed that when i am using linux mint i am starting to feel eye straining, and this is during day hours. On Windows 7 i don't experience this so i thought the reason must be in linux mint. I looked for some brightness, contrast and color settings but i couldn't find. There is some option for 'Color' in the start menu, though i am not sure how it works. I also tried the Driver Manager, but it didn't find any drivers.
So, is there a way to play with brightness, contrast and color settings?

This are my laptop specs:

Code: Select all

CPU
	Intel Core i5 2520M @ 2.50GHz	46 °C
	Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
	4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
	LENOVO 4236N3G (CPU)	47 °C
Graphics
	Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@50Hz)
	Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Lenovo)
Storage
	111GB KINGSTON SA400S37120G ATA Device (SATA-2 (SSD))	36 °C
	931GB Hitachi HGST HTS541010B7E610 ATA Device (SATA (SSD))	33 °C
Optical Drives
	No optical disk drives detected
Audio
	High Definition Audio Device
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Eye strain and display settings?

Post by kyphi »

If you are using Cinnamon, open System Settings (in your main menu), Preferences, Applets. Click on the Download tab and you will get a prompt to update your cache - click on Yes.
Look for "Redshift" (not QRedshift) and install it using the download arrow on the right of the screen. Next open the Manage tab, look for the new Redshift entry, click on the + tab at the bottom of the window and activate it. It will create an icon on your panel. In addition you will also have to install redshift via a terminal:

sudo apt-get install redshift
A click on the icon on your panel will produce a menu to let you adjust colour temperatures.

Please check that the font sizes used on your system are suitable for your eyes to avoid eye-strain. Adjustments can be made in System Settings, Appearance, Font Selection.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pd77 »

I don't see any option to adjust color temperature when i click on the redshift icon. Also, what about settings for contrast and brightness.
chris67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chris67 »

On your Thinkpad T420 the brightness can be altered by the using the Home & End keys with the Fn key.

But you're right... there's no obvious way to change display settings other than perhaps via a Terminal window. Not great.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Try the QRedshift applet instead then, it gives you a lot more control, as shown in the screenshot below.

qredshift.jpg

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
chris67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chris67 »

Thanks, nice settings to have :)
pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pd77 »

Moem wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:09 am Try the QRedshift applet instead then, it gives you a lot more control, as shown in the screenshot below.

qredshift.jpg
Thanks, QRedshift seems better than Redshift.
Can you tell me which settings in QRedshift are equivalent to the settings in my intel driver manager on Windows 7?
Bright is Brightness, Gamma is Gamma, i don't know if Color is equivalent to Hue or Saturation or both. I don't see only equivalent for Contrast. Is there a way to adjust the Contrast, from gui or terminal?

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pd77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:42 am Can you tell me which settings in QRedshift are equivalent to the settings in my intel driver manager on Windows 7?
No.
If I were you, I would forget the Windows settings, and instead play with the QRedshift settings until you achieve a result that feels workable and comfortable to you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

How to install QRedshift ?

I tried

sudo apt-get install QRedshift

but it gave me

wally@wally-XPS-13-9343:~$ sudo apt-get install QRedshift
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package QRedshift
wally@wally-XPS-13-9343:~$

TIA
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pd77 »

Install it from Applets. I don't think it can be installed from terminal.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

pd77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am Install it from Applets. I don't think it can be installed from terminal.
OK, thanks.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Just playing around I found in system settings an Accessibility icon (easy way to get to it menu>Preferences>Accessibility) There is a High Contrast selection as well as a few other selections. I have never used it but may be worth a look.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

pd77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:24 am I don't see any option to adjust color temperature when i click on the redshift icon.
Applets in System Settings has QRedshift as well as Redshift. This is rather confusing especially since one also has to install Redshift if using Redshift (no, this is not a typo) and if using QRedshift one has to first remove Redshift. Clear as mud?

The Redshift version I had installed creates 2 icons on the panel. One looks like a red light bulb and reveals itself on mouseover as Redshift but does nothing other than creating more Redshift icons. The other icon looks like a red triangle pointing upwards and is also called Redshift. On mouseover it reveals the current brightness values. On left mouse click a pop up shows slider adjustments for Brightness, Redshift day colour, Redshift day brightness, Redshift night colour (switchable), Redshift night brightness.

However, I have to agree that QRedshift, although it does exactly the same thing as Redshift, is the preferred application.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pd77 »

How can i change the hour when the night mode will activate in QRedshift?
pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pd77 »

kyphi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:12 pm
pd77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:24 am I don't see any option to adjust color temperature when i click on the redshift icon.
Applets in System Settings has QRedshift as well as Redshift. This is rather confusing especially since one also has to install Redshift if using Redshift (no, this is not a typo) and if using QRedshift one has to first remove Redshift. Clear as mud?

The Redshift version I had installed creates 2 icons on the panel. One looks like a red light bulb and reveals itself on mouseover as Redshift but does nothing other than creating more Redshift icons. The other icon looks like a red triangle pointing upwards and is also called Redshift. On mouseover it reveals the current brightness values. On left mouse click a pop up shows slider adjustments for Brightness, Redshift day colour, Redshift day brightness, Redshift night colour (switchable), Redshift night brightness.

However, I have to agree that QRedshift, although it does exactly the same thing as Redshift, is the preferred application.
I decide to use QRedshift for now.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pd77 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:36 pm How can i change the hour when the night mode will activate in QRedshift?
I don't know, but have you tried clicking on the sprocket symbol below the colour settings?

pd77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pd77 »

Yes, but i don't see option to set hours for night and day mode.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sorry, I don't use it. Maybe someone who does can help you out.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Night and day modes depend on the geographical co-ordinates relating to where you are, i.e. the longitude and latitude determined by the geolocation URL and the seasons and the position of the sun. These have already been set during the installation of Linux Mint when a time zone was specified as well as the main city within that zone.

You can change these co-ordinates in QRedshift if you wish.

Right click on the QRedshift icon on your panel and select "Configure". Open the "Location" tab to see the co-ordinates. After changing the shown values, click on "Update Location".

I cannot say with certainty that this action will not impact other applets that rely on geolocation data.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”