I don't own a mobile. Can I set up whatsapp on a laptop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Martin1001
Level 1
Level 1

I don't own a mobile. Can I set up whatsapp on a laptop?

Post by Martin1001 »

I want to set up whats ap on a Linux Mint laptop, but it looks as if the set up process requires access to whats ap on a smartphone, which is something I don't possess. Is there a version of whats ap that can be set up without a mobile?
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit. Memory 3.8GB.
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I don't own a mobile. Can I set up whats ap on a laptop?

Post by GS3 »

There are ways to run Android apps on a different OS but Whatsapp, Wechat and similar instant messaging apps are associated with a phone number so even if you install it on a computer you will need to have a phone number associated with the account. Generally when you install and register they will send you an SMS to validate the number.

I have Wechat installed on both my smartphone and my ipad but both are the same account registered to the same phone number.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Return to “Newbie Questions”