Internal WiFi card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Internal WiFi card

Post by sevenmpd »

Good Evening
Had a look through topic's but did find what I was looking for, the internal wifi card in my laptop Intel 3160 is not working properly to be fair it was the same in windows 10 is it possible to disable it, my second question a local network keeps interfering with my wifi I have ticked 'forget' in network setting but it would appear this needs to be done each time I turn laptop on is there anything I can do to fix once and for all ?
Thanks
H
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Internal WiFi card

Post by gittiest personITW »

Could it be that the problems are linked?
If you can change the channel in your router does your wifi start working properly?
What was the problem with your wifi card?
Can you copy/paste the output to the following command and be specific with what the problems are.
If you just want to disable the wifi card, could you go into BIOS and disable it there? Some are easier to do than others.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

I am not sure i am completely understanding the problem.

In my experience with laptops the internal WIFI clients are quite crappy and only good if you have a very good signal. i always just disable them and use an external USB cdevice which works a million times better.

If you want to disable the internal wireless adapter you can do it from the lower right corner of the screen, where the network icon is.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks for your replies the in built wifi card Intel Dual Band AC 3160 started playing up sometime ago I purchased a new card and fitted it only to find the problem remaining in that some days it doesn't work some it does. It's been suggested that it could be a fault on the motherboard or the antenna with my limited knowledge I suspect the later, in windows it could simply turned off. i have looked at changing my wifi router channel but the on I'm using now as the least traffic I suppose I'm asking why when in the network setting tick the 'forget ' box it's not forgetting when I turn laptop on again.
GS3 thanks for suggestion and I do turn it off AC 3160 off that way but there are times when I turn on the laptop and forget to turn it off up in the top right corner I keep seeing the 'alert' that it's disconnected then it's connected it's just a nuisance.
I moved from windows to get rid of the crappy things that happen and would like if poss to have a quite life with linux mint
Thanks
H
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

sevenmpd wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm
GS3 thanks for suggestion and I do turn it off AC 3160 off that way but there are times when I turn on the laptop and forget to turn it off up in the top right corner I keep seeing the 'alert' that it's disconnected then it's connected it's just a nuisance.
I am pretty sure when I have the WIFI adapter turned to OFF in Linux it stays off after a reboot. (And same with Ethernet.) I am surprised to hear it turns itself on.

In fact, many laptops have a hardware switch and/or a BIOS switch to turn off the wifi adapter. I have fallen victim to forgetting this and not being able to figure out why the internal wifi adapter is not working.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

When you switch off a network device in Linux Mint 19 Network Manager, it remains switched off after a reboot. When you switch off an autoconnected connection, it is autoconnected again after a reboot.

Small internal cards lack the power to transmit and often have tiny antenna. External devices can have better antenna. if your machine has a USB 3 port, I suggest a powered USB 3 hub and a modern USB wifi adapter. A hub with a good power supply also lets you leave a backup disk plugged in.
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

Sorry looks I 'cock up' my last post last night done some further investigating do not have the option to turn off the internal wifi card in bios.
Petermint WIFI adapter turned to OFF in Linux it stays off after a reboot. mine does'nt
Also discovered that when I use the F12 key aeroplane mode the only means on my laptop to turn off the wifi it turns everything off including my USB wifi adapter, but when I turn I get
wifi small .jpg
Thanks
H

Return to “Newbie Questions”