Choppy Youtube video playback

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Noofen

Re: Choppy Youtube video playback

Post by Noofen »

No, if anything it made it slightly worse, unfortunately
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Damn! I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else has some ideas.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I know it's not quite the same as your situation now, but see if this thread helps: https://askubuntu.com/questions/924204/ ... on-firefox
Noofen

Post by Noofen »

Damn,that didn't do it either. Thanks for your help though, hopefully someone steps in and finds out what's going on!
Dcaouette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dcaouette »

I've experienced a similar issue on both chrome and firefox... On 2 different laptops! Occasionally video playback would even cause the entire system to freeze. This would force me to hard reboot the laptop and nothing would be logged in the system crash reports. I've searched and searched for a solution but never found one that worked for me. It's forced me to switch to other distributions and the weird thing is that both Ubuntu and Kubuntu have flawless video playback. I'm wonder if it's just a cinnamon thing... Anyways, it's a bummer because Linux Mint is hands down my favorite but I have to switch to Ubuntu until I can find a legit solution to this problem.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Dcaouette wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm Anyways, it's a bummer because Linux Mint is hands down my favorite
And yet you never bothered to ask? It's not too late though...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dcaouette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dcaouette »

Moem wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm
Dcaouette wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm Anyways, it's a bummer because Linux Mint is hands down my favorite
And yet you never bothered to ask? It's not too late though...
You're right, I should have asked! Now is as good a time as any I suppose.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Noofen,

The 5.3 kernel is EOL also, so install the 5.4 kernel in Update Manager, View, Linux kernels. Reboot & see if that helps any.

If not, you might need to grab the 4.15 kernel in Grub, Advanced Options. Remove the 5.4 kernel before you reboot.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Dcaouette wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 pm You're right, I should have asked! Now is as good a time as any I suppose.
It is! Please start a new topic that will be all yours. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”