(SOLVED) Can rEFInd boot a MAC to an external usb BIOS drive??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can rEFInd boot a MAC to an external usb BIOS drive??

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

fabien85 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:21 am
Hum, looks to me like a hardware problem, either with the hard drive or the cable.
Report what you get from the logs :

Code: Select all

dmesg --level=emerg,alert,crit,err
if there is any input/output error then that's it.
You could perform a SMART self-test of the hard drive with gnome-disks (Menu > Preferences > Disks). Though I have had the case of a drive failing where Disks did not report anything wrong.
I think you might be on to something there with the hardware thing. But, it may be more than just the ext. drive/cable. Even the imac is starting to have some issues booting to the live boot drives, sometimes does the same thing, gets to the LM logo and hangs. So, is it ext drive/cable, the usb stick live boot drive, the iMac, the iMac usb connectors? So, I'll be looking in to that also.

Anyway, I've checked the ext drive w/CrystalDiskinfo on a HP/win10 laptop and with Disks on an HP/LM Cinn. laptop and both say the drive is ok, for what ever thats worth, but Disks SMART reported the age of this drive as 14.5+ years! So, I will not be using this drive for anything other than data storage of stuff I'm not really too concerned about!

So as of now my plan is to reinstall to a newer ext. drive and see what that does! I'll keep your diagnostic suggestions for that drive!
Thank you.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

fabien85 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:21 am
Hum, looks to me like a hardware problem, either with the hard drive or the cable.
Well, I hesitate to get too excited just yet but so far it's looking very much like I might finally have real and somewhat reliable ext. hdd w/LM Cinnamon installed. For the most part that is, will get to that in a second. I reinstalled to a much newer ext drive and I spent a good amount of time updating and rebooting and so far there have been no problems with any of the updates or reboots.

Now for the one issue I have noticed. I cannot get the grub menu to show up at start up. I'd like to change the active kernel from the current 5.4.0-3x (exp. 2/21) to the LTS 4.15.0-106. But I can't find a way to get into the grub menu! Neither the ESC or SHIFT key seem to work for that purpose any more and I've tried it on both the imac and on my hp/win 10 laptop.

Is there another way of getting into the grub menu at start up or even after start up so I can select the LTS kernel? Is it possible grub just not there?

Thank you.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Congrats!

The grub issue is an easy one. I have also found shift/esc not to be reliable.
The solution is to edit /etc/default/grub as root/admin to change the style from hidden to menu.
Explicitely

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
locate the line

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
and change it to

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
ctrl+o to save, ctrl+x to exit.
Then update grub to record the change :

sudo update-grub
Reference: https://www.fosslicious.com/2020/01/sho ... linux.html
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

fabien85 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:50 am
Congrats!

The grub issue is an easy one. I have also found shift/esc not to be reliable.
The solution is to edit /etc/default/grub as root/admin to change the style from hidden to menu.
Explicitely

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
locate the line

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
and change it to

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
ctrl+o to save, ctrl+x to exit.
Then update grub to record the change :

sudo update-grub
Reference: https://www.fosslicious.com/2020/01/sho ... linux.html
That appears to have done the trick! I had to make one additional change and that was to GRUB_TIMEOUT which was set at 0, I set it to 10 so there is a 10 second delay before actual booting, may reduce that later.

One last question that hopefully you can help with and then I'll probably mark this solved. I'd like to use Suspend mode with the imac but it has a problem coming out of Suspend. It appears to go into Suspend ok (w/exception that the drive LED goes out but the drive doesn't seem to spin down, maybe some drive setting) but when I hit a key to bring the imac back up the drive LED starts flashing, the screen brightens just a tick but there is no desktop, it just stays black. Nothing I've tried brings up the desktop, except a reboot! BTW, Suspend works as expected on the hp laptop.

Any idea if there's a trick or solution that might bring it out of Suspend mode?

Thanks again for all the help!
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Cool for grub.

For suspend, that's a more difficult question.
I have experienced problems with hibernation (/suspend to disk), but not the standard suspend (=suspend to RAM). Though there are from time to time reports of problems with suspend on the forum.
The first thing to check is the video driver : are you using nvidia ? If so try to purge it to use the out of the box "nouveau" driver ; it sometimes works better.

If that's not enough, then it's tougher and I'm afraid you are going to have to experiment.
If I'm not mistaken the utility that does the suspend is pm-suspend. One thing to try out is to switch to a text only console, suspend and try to resume. If that works, then that isolates the problem as coming from the video. Steps :
1) Boot. When you reach the login screen, do not log in
2) instead press ctrl+alt+F1
3) this will get you to a text console (rigorously a virtual terminal) called tty1. There log in with your username then password
4) you will get to a terminal. Run

sudo pm-suspend
5) hopefully the computer should suspend. Wait a bit, try to resume it.
6) if it went well, then you should come back directly to the terminal in tty1.
If that works, try to switch back to the GUI with ctrl+alt+F7. You should get to the login screen. Log in, see if there is any problem.

If all that works, then retry steps 2-6 after having logged in.
If you get problems, then you can try the "quirks" proposed by pm-suspend : look at the manual man pm-suspend, you will see quirks that can be passed on the command line. I personally dont know what they mean, but you can try them to see if any is helpful.
Another possibility is to install the package uswusp that provides alternative utilities to suspend (to RAM or to disk). Some people report that it works better on their machine.

Once you find something that works, the other question is how to tell Mint to use it by default. Here I dont know. If you reach that, I suggest you open a new thread with detailed explanations.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

fabien85 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 am

For suspend, that's a more difficult question.
I have experienced problems with hibernation (/suspend to disk), but not the standard suspend (=suspend to RAM). Though there are from time to time reports of problems with suspend on the forum.
The first thing to check is the video driver : are you using nvidia ? If so try to purge it to use the out of the box "nouveau" driver ; it sometimes works better.
Thanks. Grub and everything else, w/exception of suspend & hibernation, seem to be working well so thanks for all the help in getting me get to that point!

The graphics for this imac is AMD/ATI Radeon 4670. I know in my linux travels to this point I've run across numerous threads regarding graphics issues with just about every possible graphics/hardware/driver combination in existence. I'll try your suggestions and possibly a few others I might run across but at this point I'm just not certain how much time/effort I'm willing to put into suspend/hibernation. I can live without it if necessary!

However, regarding the pm-suspend suggestion, I'm not sure how to get there as I have auto login setup (I'm the only one using this thing) so I don't get a login screen, how can I login at boot up? And, regarding hibernation, I tried hibernation tips from here: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how- ... untu-linux, and same thing, appears to go into hibernation but just a black screen coming out. And I found this thread: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-blac ... ing/106131. A totally different setup & graphics, etc. but still AMD/Radeon, where it is suggested "disabling kwin compositor before suspending, some ryzen users recently came across the same black screen after waking from resume. IIRC it's CTRL+ALT+F12 to enable/disable the compositor but you might want to double check that". Are you familiar with what they are talking about, disabling/enabling a compositor w/CTRL+ALT+F12? Is it worth a try or too risky ??? We've got the imac/linux working, I don't want to screw it up!

Any thought are appreciated! Thank you.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

I guess the hibernation and suspend problems are related, probably the same root cause.

For the reference you quote, I do not think it is applicable in your case because
- you do not have a ryzen CPU (the latest series from AMD)
- kwin is, as far as I understand, a component of the KDE desktop used by Manjaro (at least the KDE edition). But you are using the Cinnamon desktop which is different.
I checked, and in Cinnamon ctrl+alt+F12 gets you to a black screen with blinking underscore ; then you can get back to the desktop with ctrl+alt+F7. So it does not disable anything.

You can try what I said in my previous post after login. i.e. once you are automatically logged in, use ctrl+alt+F1 to switch to tty1 etc.
Also you can disable/enable automatic login to make your tests : see Menu > Administration > Login Window > Users

Good luck
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Ok, got it, passing on ctl+alt+f12 & will try your suggestion, thank again.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

fabien85 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 am
You can try what I said in my previous post after login. i.e. once you are automatically logged in, use ctrl+alt+F1 to switch to tty1 etc.
Also you can disable/enable automatic login to make your tests : see Menu > Administration > Login Window > Users
Well, I've tried ctl+alt+f1 a number of times now and for what ever reason the key combination does nothing at all on my imac so there might be some issue there but I'm just not that interested in dealing with now. As of now I've got what appears to be a pretty stable system with both the macos & linux ext. usb drive setup and I don't want to screw that up as we've spent more than enough time just getting it to this point! So, with that being said I'm going to "suspend" (pun intended, thought a little levity would be appropriate) any further efforts to resolve the suspend/hibernate issue for now and mark this "solved". I may look into it again later on, or not!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help with the mac/linux setup.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: (SOLVED) Can rEFInd boot a MAC to an external usb BIOS drive??

Post by fabien85 »

Hum yeah now that I remember it, the ctrl+alt+F1 (by the way it would work also for F2 .. F6) often does not work on Macs. Sorry I forgot that.
So the only advice I have left is to try the uswusp package. But you are right that it's enough time spent on the issue.
If you ever want to reopen it, make a new thread for it.
Enjoy your setup :D
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (SOLVED) Can rEFInd boot a MAC to an external usb BIOS drive??

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

fabien85 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:52 am
Hum yeah now that I remember it, the ctrl+alt+F1 (by the way it would work also for F2 .. F6) often does not work on Macs. Sorry I forgot that.
So the only advice I have left is to try the uswusp package. But you are right that it's enough time spent on the issue.
If you ever want to reopen it, make a new thread for it.
Enjoy your setup :D
No problem!👍 In the meantime I'll look into uswusp as to what & how it works, may give it a try. Any new questions & I'll start a new thread. Appreciate all your help, stay safe out there! :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”