Guidance Building Up my Mint PC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Guidance Building Up my Mint PC

Post by Dark Owl »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:54 am As an administrator of a hardware RAID 6805T, you can install the MAXview web server to look at what the card sees
How? I can't find a download.

Update:

It's all running nicely under 20.2 now, except the boot blip which always dumps me into the GRUB menu won't go away.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Dark Owl wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:26 pm It's all running nicely under 20.2 now
Famous last words (not that 20.2 is to blame):

I set up four HDDs on the Adaptec RAID card as two separate RAID1 arrays (mirrors). One is mounted as /home, the other is just floating storage. One of the drives in the second RAID seems to have failed (they are hand-me-downs, so I'm not too surprised), but instead of the mirror drive taking over, the array is now reported as "degraded" by the Adaptec BIOS utility and isn't available to mount once the OS comes up. I've been through the config and cannot find a means to bring it online.

I wasn't too panicked about it, it was only "floating" storage. I disconnected the failed drive and ran a cable to it from my eSATA port, and found the drive was not recognised. OK, so it really has failed then.

But now, my system won't boot at all. It gets to the end of the boot messages (yes, I do have them turned on) and gives me a command prompt. My /home RAID isn't mounting, and that's throwing a spanner in the boot. It turns out the Adaptec thinks another drive has failed and has marked the array as degraded.

Really? I know coincidences can and do happen, but a second drive failure in a matter of days? If I didn't know better I might suspect the Adaptec card of sabotage.

But my real concern is: why isn't the mirror RAID doing what it is expected to, and making the drive available regardless of the degraded state? I have looked for instructions on-line and find very little.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Update: I have now demonstrated (running my system with an 18.2 boot CD) that all four RAID drives can be accessed individually when connected by eSATA, so what the heck is this Adaptec RAID card supposed to be doing? In the absence of any other explanation I am coming to the conclusion it is an untrustworthy pile of poo.

At least I have proved that using RAID1 results in the individual HDDs having a "normal" file system on them, which can be accessed directly without a RAID card in the way.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Have not read the entire thread, but...

Chances are fair that it's not so much the Adaptec controller but the drives which are untrustworthy for use in a RAID array, That is, something like a WD Red drive (which I use exclusively for RAID and frankly as much as I can for general data drives; quiet, cool and reliable) specifically features TLER; Time Limited Error Recovery. Users not into fine details of hardware tend to not appreciate how many errors occur at the lowest levels but which are then corrected by firmware-level ECC-type procedures --- which however take time. Without a fairly low limit on said time the RAID controller is going to think the drive failed and will throw it from the array; this seems to be what you are here experiencing.

Now, admittedly, I myself have in practice had in fact great results with TLER-less WD Green drives as well but that was always in the software-RAID sense and I've anyway seen quite a few reports from other people that saw their arrays fail constantly when using just any old drives, again, not as a matter of the software and/or controller bombing out as such but of a drive being "consumer grade unsuitable" for reliable RAID workings. Certainly if you have completely different drives in a RAID-set this is always an issue even if any would be good for RAID when paired with another drive of the same type: different drives can have wildly different timing characteristics.

Ever since the overhead of software RAID is no longer to be considered significant, 2000+ or so, I personally and certainly for consumers tend to advise to simply use software and/or BIOS RAID --- but me not being alone in that also means that the high price for hardware RAID controllers is only sustained by them in fact generally being quite robust and I expect your Adaptec controller to not be an exception. It's more or less the GIGO principle: however good the controller might in essence be, if you back-end it with a pair or non-pair even of unsuitable drives, an unsuitable array is what you still end up with.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Thank you for your opinions and comments.
rene wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 am Chances are fair that it's not so much the Adaptec controller but the drives which are untrustworthy for use in a RAID array... however good the controller might in essence be, if you back-end it with a pair or non-pair even of unsuitable drives, an unsuitable array is what you still end up with.
How can you assess probability or unsuitability without evidence?

Now, I admit the first mirror pair which "failed" are mismatched drives, but the other pair are identical Seagate Barracuda and they "failed" too, only a matter of days later. I have yet to run disk analysis on them, but as noted previously their content appears to be perfectly well accessible when accessed individually. Further, the RAIDs had been running perfectly well for months, so if the drives are so unsuitable for hardware RAID use why go tits up only now?

I find it difficult to believe a hardware RAID controller (which is, after all, no more than a embedded computer dedicated to accessing HDDs) would not be programmed to best practice in giving the HDDs every opportunity to "do their stuff". I'll report back when I have SMART results – if it shows no sign of the disks struggling at the hardware level, I would say your explanation is clutching at straws.

On the other hand, everything could be explained if the controller itself is faulty. Tricky proving it though.

What is really irritating me at the moment is the lack of information coming out of the Adaptec BIOS, or even adequate user information on-line. I would have expected a RAID 1 array to report a problem if one drive glitches, maybe by flagging that up at boot and refusing to go any further (which it did), but then there should be a means to acknowledge to degraded state but tell it to carry on with the non-glitched HDD (surely that's what RAID 1 is all about?!!), and offer a means to reset the flagged drive and reintroduce it to the array. Previously:
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:54 am As an administrator of a hardware RAID 6805T, you can install the MAXview web server to look at what the card sees
...but it remains a mystery how to do that.
rene wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 am Ever since the overhead of software RAID is no longer to be considered significant, 2000+ or so, I personally and certainly for consumers tend to advise to simply use software and/or BIOS RAID
IMO liable to failure in the event of a crash or power outage, with the likelihood of the RAID elements getting out of sync. If by "consumer" you mean somebody who just uses a PC and isn't into technical stuff, better not to use RAID at all: "I've lost my data" "your drive has failed, you should have made backups"; versus: "I've lost my data, I thought you said that wouldn't happen" "the hardware's fine but there must have been a software glitch".

Neither do I have enough ports to run all those disks "native", so the hardware RAID controller would have be replaced with a hardware SATA port expander (unless that's what JOBD mode does). It is also the case that this PC is somewhat a testbed.
rene wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 am Have not read the entire thread, but...
Fair enough, but it would have given you context as to why I went for hardware RAID in the second place (ie after a lot of difficulty trying to implement a software RAID... with fewer drives in the equation).
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Hardware RAID, software RAID, and hybrid RAID can fail when disks are slow. The slowness could be the disk rewriting error tracks. It can also be from SMR recording instead of CMR. There are comparisons of a full disk write taking 8 hours with CMR and 9 days with SMR. If your disks are SMR, they might time out during writes. Worth checking.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Dark Owl wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:27 am How can you assess probability or unsuitability without evidence?
By being cogniscent of an absolute shitload of evidence outside the context of this one specific thread.

It might be that TLER issue; it's one other thing that detracts from hardware RAID for the mentioned consumer; a hardware RAID controller tends to in fact go to lengths to not have the drive retry for too long (i.e., that's what TLER is) since the RAID provides for redundancy at a higher level already: is itself all about providing fast and steady-stream data to the higher levels. This however means you need to pair one with higher cost drives made/tuned especially for RAID use.

I.e., whatever I did or did not read here, it seems you just made a poor choice going with hardware RAID if you didn't pair the controller with good and for the purpose intended drives.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Dark Owl wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:27 am Neither do I have enough ports to run all those disks "native", so the hardware RAID controller would have be replaced with a hardware SATA port expander (unless that's what JOBD mode does).
Oh, and, yes, that's what JBOD is. Stands for "Just a Bunch Of Disks".

Also agree that if something went actually manboobs up, that isn't good, the entire idea of RAID1 being that it would not. However, Adaptec certainly knows that so I'm wondering if it is/was just a matter of you needing to acknowledge degraded state some way --- or some such. In any case and as said not convinced that the RAID controller as such would be a PoS; they very much tend to not be. Well, yes, unless broken of course...
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

rene wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:51 am I'm wondering if it is/was just a matter of you needing to acknowledge degraded state some way
I would love it to be that, but I couldn't find a way to do it. If somebody can point me at a proper user guide specifically for the Adaptec 6805T I would be very grateful, but by "proper" I mean something which guides the user through what to do in various circumstances.

Does the team think that if I were to switch to JBOD mode, the controller would simply allow direct access to the existing file systems and not require them set up again (yes, I do know what JBOD stands for, but not the consequences)? I suppose I could try that with just one (of a mirror pair) connected to the Adaptec. The problem I have is that now we aren't under Covid restrictions (UK) my free time has shrunk dramatically.
rene wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 am it seems you just made a poor choice going with hardware RAID if you didn't pair the controller with good and for the purpose intended drives.
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:16 am Hardware RAID, software RAID, and hybrid RAID can fail when disks are slow. The slowness could be the disk rewriting error tracks. It can also be from SMR recording instead of CMR. There are comparisons of a full disk write taking 8 hours with CMR and 9 days with SMR. If your disks are SMR, they might time out during writes. Worth checking.
Unfortunate none of that was mentioned when hardware RAID was recommended to me in the first place (and I note the proponent has gone quiet)! I was not aware of any special HDD requirements, just that matched drives are preferred. Indeed, in my previous experience (in the 1990s) I just threw some HDDs in and everything worked fine (until a power surge glitched the 12V rail).
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:33 pm You won't be sorry :)
Hmm...
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I have no idea if/how applicable it is for you, but this seems useful:

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/sup ... sas-6805t/

Documentation tab, "Microsemi Adaptec RAID Controller - Installation And User's Guide" and/or "maxView Storage Manager v2.02.22404 - User's Guide". From latter for example, pg. 127
For example, when one of the disk drives fails in a RAID1 logical drive, the logical drive is not automatically rebuilt. The failed disk drive must be removed and replaced before the logical drive can be rebuilt.
... with a link to two pages down where it says that a "hot-swap" rebuild, simply initiated by hot-removing the drive, waiting for it to spin down and reinserting it, might be useful.

The JBOD thing you can also read about or simply try I guess; chances seem fair that your RAID1 drives would be accessible on their own as well.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

rene wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:58 am I have no idea if/how applicable it is for you, but this seems useful:

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/sup ... sas-6805t/
Excellent, many thanks. I did not find that when I was looking, possibly because I was looking on the Adaptec site not Microsemi.
rene wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:58 am
For example, when one of the disk drives fails in a RAID1 logical drive, the logical drive is not automatically rebuilt. The failed disk drive must be removed and replaced before the logical drive can be rebuilt.
... with a link to two pages down where it says that a "hot-swap" rebuild, simply initiated by hot-removing the drive, waiting for it to spin down and reinserting it, might be useful.
What a pain in the arse if the drives are installed internally (as mine are)!

My immediate plan is now clear: I should be able to get functionality back by reconnecting one drive from the /home pair to a spare SATA port and updating fstab with the appropriate UUID. Separately I will study up on the RAID controller before attempting any manipulations using it. Separately, prior to the RAID fail I still had that mysterious failure reported during boot which always dumped me to the GRUB menu next boot instead of a clean boot to desktop login (see here: viewtopic.php?p=2005360#p2005360).

But all that is going to be in slow time.
Last edited by Dark Owl on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

So...

In http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_g ... 6_2017.pdf I found:
4.2 Selecting Disk Drives and Cables
4.2.1 Disk Drives
Your RAID controller supports SAS disk drives, SATA disk drives, and SATA and SAS Solid State Drives (SSDs). When selecting disk drives for your RAID array, ensure that all the disk drives have the same performance level. You can use different-sized disk drives in the array, but the array will be limited to the capacity of the smallest and slowest disk drive. For more information about arrays, refer to the maxView Storage Manager User’s Guide or online Help. For more information about compatible disk drives, refer to www.adaptec.com/compatibility.
...which sounds pretty innocuous, but by following that link I found:
Microsemi is committed to providing customers with a stable product that offers both, high performance and high reliability. Enterprise class hard drives and SSDs should always be used on an enterprise class system. Desktop or consumer class drives should not be used due to faster wear-out, I/O timeout incompatibilities, lower tolerances for vibration, and a lack of end-to-end data error detection and correction.
I have to say it's a pity they don't include that statement in the user guide, instead of burying it in an external reference. Needless to say I don't have "Enterprise Class" HDDs! :oops:

:oops: :oops: I have since discovered that I did find a 2011 version of the same document at the time I purchased the 6805T (July 2020), which contains the same paragraph and reference. I was relying on preconceptions (and a certain member's enthusiasm for hardware RAID).

What to do. Shall I fork out for posh HDDs? Doubt it, we're talking hundreds of pounds. Re-examine software RAID? Maybe*. A compromise might be to set up self-contained software RAID as a NAS. Alternatively I could simply create a backup process to duplicate HDD contents.

If not posh HDDs (or a NAS), I will need SATA expansion (or maybe an SAS adapter card). Having the RAID controller in the system unnecessarily adds several minutes to the boot process while it goes through the card's BIOS. It seems that was a pig in a poke.

* One big reason I went down the hardware RAID path is that originally I thought I would want to boot from a RAID partition and I couldn't see how that might work using software RAID. I'm no longer considering boot from RAID, so hardware RAID is not so imperative.
Last edited by Dark Owl on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Before SMR, a number of large organisations used consumer disks in RAID as they created few problems and no timeouts until there was a genuine error. Now it is a real problem and the non SMR disks have jumped in price due to demand. I would not bother spending the money.

Is your data of a nature where you can divide it up over separate disks without RAID? Music directory on one disk, Videos on the second disk, C code on the third disk, and Recipes on the forth disk. No RAID problems. They can run at any speed.

Is your computer restricted to 2.5" disks? One good 7200 rpm 3.5" disk could give you all that without hassle.

I would toss the 1.5 inch disk. Maybe use it for backup. Get a 1 TB SSD for anything that is frequently accessed.

Experiment with the 3 * 2 TB disks in software RAID 5. If they fail, get the one big drive.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am Is your data of a nature where you can divide it up over separate disks without RAID? Music directory on one disk, Videos on the second disk, C code on the third disk, and Recipes on the forth disk. No RAID problems. They can run at any speed...

...One good 7200 rpm 3.5" disk could give you all that without hassle...

...Experiment with the 3 * 2 TB disks in software RAID 5. If they fail, get the one big drive.
You misunderstand. I'm not overly bothered about raw I/O performance, the mirrors are purely for disaster recovery. RAID1 loses nothing at all if a disk fails, but backups are always a session behind. Also, RAID5 (etc) cannot be read in the absence of a RAID controller (or software) whereas individual drives from a RAID1 are not dependent on the controller and can be read normally by direct access should it prove necessary (as I have demonstrated).
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 amOne good 7200 rpm 3.5" disk could give you all that without hassle
Oh yes, the "all my eggs in one basket" approach. I don't think so! Backing up multi-terabyte drives is a pain in the arse too.
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am Is your computer restricted to 2.5" disks?
Not in the least. The RAID drives are 3½", I have 5¼" optical drives, the system boots from a 2½" SDD, and there is another 3½" HDD for temp, RAM paging, etc. This is a full-size tower case with 7 external bays and multiple internal ones (even more with my DIY drive cage)!
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am I would toss the 1.5 inch disk.
Presuming you're talking about the 1.5TB (not 1.5") odd-one-out, I assume you have plenty of cash to spend. I don't.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Dark Owl wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:45 am What to do. Shall I fork out for posh HDDs? Doubt it, we're talking hundreds of pounds. Re-examine software RAID? Maybe*. A compromise might be to set up self-contained software RAID as a NAS. Alternatively I could simply create a backup process to duplicate HDD contents.
My personal best-advise would be to go grab a consumer-level 2-disk NAS. Have only a few weeks back upgraded my oldest one (a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo -- but don't consider that a recommendation; it's far too old and slow for regular use these days) from two not particularly suitable WD Green 500G drives to two WD Red 2T's. It had run for close to a decade with said WD Green's without a single issue at that point.

They were the very same type / firmware-versions; I personally do not compromise on that even for software RAID (which a consumer NAS is). I believe you had one matched pair; in practice probably fine even if not specifically intended for NAS.

Both the NAS and e.g. those 2TB WD Reds I would feel comfortable with grabbing second hand; 2TB drives are being dumped as too small right now. If not for you that's a chance. You'd want to view a SMART report for the disks prior to buying; for the NAS really only the fan tends to be a possible issue of concern as to noise and those can be replaced.

BIOS software RAID also works and e.g. Intel's implementation is found on many/most not very entry-level motherboards. It's basically just normal software RAID (and when running Linux, normal Linux software RAID) plus the ability to boot from it and/or share a drive with Windows. Would again still combine with fair and definitely matched drives but same as above holds.

And if not; yes, 'enterprise" drives are more expensive but depending on your size needs it's not huge really. And can also in that case take a chance on a pair/set some some local business is throwing out if you can find any; in many cases hardware is thrown out simply as too old or also in that case too small with nothing wrong with it. The hardware RAID controller is a fair amount of fun geek-wise...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

rene wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 am My personal best-advise would be to go grab a consumer-level 2-disk NAS.
Been very pleased with my synology DS216J with a couple of these in it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Maybe 'consumer grade' drives but been running 24/7 since March 2017.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Let me add; if you go for a NAS; do let the drives spin down if you're not constantly using it, i.e., only as once-a-<period> backup. There's lots of advise out there that drives die from spinning up/down --- and while that's not untrue in and of itself they die a lot quicker from heat, shock and vibration.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Dark Owl wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:21 am
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am Is your data of a nature where you can divide it up over separate disks without RAID? Music directory on one disk, Videos on the second disk, C code on the third disk, and Recipes on the forth disk. No RAID problems. They can run at any speed...

...One good 7200 rpm 3.5" disk could give you all that without hassle...

...Experiment with the 3 * 2 TB disks in software RAID 5. If they fail, get the one big drive.
You misunderstand. I'm not overly bothered about raw I/O performance, the mirrors are purely for disaster recovery. RAID1 loses nothing at all if a disk fails, but backups are always a session behind. Also, RAID5 (etc) cannot be read in the absence of a RAID controller (or software) whereas individual drives from a RAID1 are not dependent on the controller and can be read normally by direct access should it prove necessary (as I have demonstrated).
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 amOne good 7200 rpm 3.5" disk could give you all that without hassle
Oh yes, the "all my eggs in one basket" approach. I don't think so! Backing up multi-terabyte drives is a pain in the arse too.
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am Is your computer restricted to 2.5" disks?
Not in the least. The RAID drives are 3½", I have 5¼" optical drives, the system boots from a 2½" SDD, and there is another 3½" HDD for temp, RAM paging, etc. This is a full-size tower case with 7 external bays and multiple internal ones (even more with my DIY drive cage)!
Petermint wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am I would toss the 1.5 inch disk.
Presuming you're talking about the 1.5TB (not 1.5") odd-one-out, I assume you have plenty of cash to spend. I don't.
I'm getting the impression you believe that RAID is a backup, especially after these comments that say "...the mirrors are purely for disaster recovery..." and "...Backing up multi-terabyte drives is a pain in the arse too..." Backing up multi-terabyte drives is not a "pain in the arse" (or anywhere else) if you use the correct software and have your system setup correctly. I have two 4TB and one 8TB (divided into two 4TB partitions) SSDs in my laptop and it takes only minutes to back up all of them daily (often in less than a minute, depending on how much data has been added, changed, or removed).

No matter what Operating System (OS) is being used, there is a huge misunderstanding among computer users of the the difference between backups and redundancy. Redundancy is the concept of having more than one component in a system of any kind to ensure continuous operation should one component fail. A naval example (called planned redundancy) would be having two engines and props on a ship when one of each would be adequate, less expensive, and require less maintenance. With only one engine and one propeller, if either fails, then the ship would be dead in the water. With two engines and props, if any one failed, the remaining engine/prop pair would still be able to keep the ship moving, something very desirable since getting out and walking when dead in the middle of an ocean is a wee bit difficult.

The same is true of RAID. Just to get it out of the way, RAID 0 is a throwback to the days when HDDs were small and slow. RAID 0 was used to create a larger volume and increase speed. Today, larger drives eliminate the need of RAID O to create a larger volume and SSDs provide more speed by their little 'ol lonesomes than several HDDs in RAID 0. Also, more drive speed will not increase computer performance other than when booting, transferring files, etc. OS and program performance are not affected unless frequent drive access is needed. RAID 0 had the added disadvantage of having no failure tolerance; if any one drive in a RAID 0 fails, all data in the array is toast with little to no chance of recovery. Even expensive, professional data recovery is iffy at best. In my not so humble opinion, RAID 0 needs to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Other kinds of RAID are forms of redundancy. Their main purposes are to create larger volumes (RAID 1 being the exception) and to allow a computer or NAS to keep chugging along without data loss if one or more drives should fail (the number of failed drives allowed being dependent on the kind of RAID being used). There are redundancy schemes other than RAID that are often superior to RAID but I'll keep this discussion limited to RAID since it's the predominant topic in this thread; I also don't know all that much about them).

Continuous operation despite drive failure often a necessity in certain applications, most noticeably business applications or scientific applications (such as mission control for space flight). Other times, such as with personal home computers, it is just highly desirable. However, recovering from a drive failure doesn't have to be a major, time consuming operation (more on that shortly).

All redundancy will do is protect against drive failure (up to a point). There are two rules to keep in mind about RAID:

1. RAID is NOT a backup!
2. If you still think RAID is a backup, go back to rule #1.

Before you all break out the flame throwers to toast my buns (especially since my flame proof undies are at the cleaners), let me explain further. Not all data loss is from drive failures. User error (such as accidental deletions, accidentally formatting a drive, etc.; face it, we all have done at least one of these), theft, natural (and unnatural) disasters, ransomware, etc. can all cause data to be lost. Redundancy cannot protect data loss from those. If you have a RAID 1, for example, and you accidentally delete a file, that file will disappear from both the drives in the RAID--permanently (again, professional data recovery is expensive with no guarantees of success).

A NAS that is kept powered up and connected to computers, either directly (technically, a DAS) or over a network is also just redundancy and is not a backup.

The ONLY way to ensure the safety of data is for it to exist in more than one place. RAID is only one place. Lose the RAID (and RAIDs do break) and your data is lost for evermore. Any data storage kept connected to the computer, such as external drives or a NAS, can lose data to accidental deletion or ransomware. The same is true of separate, backup drives installed inside a computer. Someone steals the computer or it goes up in smoke due to a house fire, your data is toast (pardon the pun). Any data storage connected to a power source can be fried by a power surge.

Most data security experts recommend that data should exist in three, separate places (I'm a paranoid old coward so I have more than three). For most people, this is on a drive in the computer, on an onsite external backup drive that is kept disconnected from the computer and power (except while updating the backup) and stored away from the computer, and on an offsite backup drive. Onsite and offsite backup drives should be swapped out as often as possible to keep the offsite backup drive as up o date as possible.

How one sets up their computers will determine how easy or difficult making and updating backups will be. Default installations of Mint and its frequently used backup programs are not conducive to fast and easy backup procedures. The OS and programs should be kept separate from each other to allow the use of separate backup programs that are more ideally suited for each kind of backup. On my one drive wonder notebook, I partitioned the drive into two partitions, one for the OS, programs, and /home. The other partition is for data only. Other than two programs--Evolution Calendar and Sticky Notes--that insist on storing their day on hidden files in /home (which, fortunately, can be backed up to the other partition), I do not keep any data on the OS partition. This computer, due to age and limited capacity, now serves only as a backup computer.

My laptop has a single boot drive (grossly oversized for its use but it was the smallest one of the brand and type I wanted). Other than the two aforementioned programs, no data is kept on that drive. My data is stored on two 4TB SATA SSDs and one 8TB NVME SSD (divided into two 4TB partitions to allow the use of already on-hand 4TB SATA SSDs for backups; NOTE - I normally do not recommend organizing data with partitions; folders are far more efficient).

I use Timeshift to backup my OS and programs. Unlike most people and contrary to what is recommended, I also backup all data on that drive so I can restore any settings I may have changed (the only data, other than hidden files, being desktop shortcuts to my data drives and some files on the data drives, my calendar entries, and my sticky notes; the latter two are also backed up to a data drive). I also manually make all my snapshots. I make a weekly snapshot first thing on Monday morning (I let it run while taking care of business in the bathroom). I also make another one on an external backup drive. Before installing or deleting programs, installing potentially dodgy updates, and making an major settings changes, I make another snapshot. I only keep as many snapshots as what will fit in the Timeshift default window to save space.

Many people recommend keeping Timeshift snapshots in a separate partition to limit the amount of drive space they take up but if one sets Timeshift to keep only so many snapshots (or manually clean them out like I do), then running out of room will not be a problem and a separate partition is both not needed and will just waste space.

Timeshift is great for quickly restoring the OS, etc. to a previous point in time but is a rather dodgy and time consuming for restoring after a complete drive failure. Imaging is better for that.

On Saturday mornings, I image the boot drive using Rescuezilla. Foxclone is more popular and is probably better than Rescuezilla but I can't use it on my laptop due to its POS NVIDIA card. Clonezilla also works well but is a PITA to use. I test the first image of each month by restoring it to a spare drive in an external enclosure, then swapping that drive out with the boot drive in the computer (I've done it often enough, I can do the swap in just under a minute). Imaging and restoring images takes longer than making and restoring snapshots but it's less than five minutes for each operation which I kill doing something else, such as the aforementioned business trip. I keep my most recent images on my computer for convenience but I also copy them to an external drive just in case the internal drive the images are on go south (file permission issues prevented easily copying Clonezilla images to another drive).

I use a free folder/file syncing program called FreeFileSync (FFS) to make and update my data drives and partitions. It works by comparing the data drive or partition with the backup drive, then copies or deletes folders and files to make the backup drive essentially a clone of the data drive. Making the initial backup will take quite a while since all the data has to be copied from the data drive to the backup drive but updating the backup drive after that takes much less time since only new, changed, and deleted files are involved in the update. I typically spend only a minute or two (often less) updating my onsite laptop onsite external backup drives at the end of the day before sacking out.

There are other folder/file syncing programs but I like FFS because it has an easy to use GUI. It can be "hacked" to verify each file transfer went through correctly. It also has a feature called Versioning (which I strongly recommend) that will send any deleted files to a user designated Versioning folder. This protects me from losing any files deleted due to the originals becoming corrupted or accidentally deleted on the data drive.

I also use FFS to restore data to a drive (or its replacement) that has failed. I also use it to sync data between my laptop data drives and my desktop data drives and their backups (I'm currently between desktops but I'm still externally maintaining the desktop data drives and their backups). It's a very versatile program once you get familiar with it. It's also free!

This all sounds complicated but, once set up, updating backups and restoring from them is fast and easy. In your case, I strongly suggest just forgetting about using RAID and using your mirror drives in external enclosures as onsite backup drives, then, as you can afford it, get addition external drives for use as offsite backup drives. Drives cost money but they are far, far more reliable and far, far less expensive than professional data recovery that has no guarantee of success.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Live continuous backup from an rsync type backup is almost possible and would run well from RAID 1. After you create a file on RAID 1, you can read it from one disk and a backup program could read from the other disk, utilising the double read speed of RAID 1. RAID 1 2 * 2 TB then backup to the other 2 TB. Use Ext4 and something like Backintime set to hourly.

There is copy on close software but that would not work for databases. For databases, you need continuous backup of the log files.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:53 am I'm getting the impression you believe that RAID is a backup
No, I don't, and I'm getting the impression you think I'm some kind of novice. I might be relatively new to Linux, but I've been piddling around with x86 hardware since the late 1980s when backups were 5¼" floppy disks (heck, my first x86 PC had two floppy drives and no HDD at all!).

I would love to know (on second thoughts: no I wouldn't) how you think your backup scenario protects you from loss of the last few hours work if the drive failed... a RAID1 does (and you keep working as if nothing had happened). If RAID redundancy isn't for protection against the disaster of a HDD failure, what is it for (or are you saying RAID is a solution in search of a problem)? RAID protects against hardware failure, backups protect against accidental or deliberate sabotage and total loss of the computer (eg theft or in a fire).

Even software RAID is a simpler solution than trying to rsync active files.

Thanks for your lengthy post, I hope it is of help to somebody.

Return to “Beginner Questions”