Mint won't launch after replacing motherboard battery

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jwnyc1
Level 1
Level 1

Mint won't launch after replacing motherboard battery

Post by jwnyc1 »

I have 5 year old Origin PC that I converted from Win7Pro to Mint Tricia in January. Worked fabulously. Have had switching problems on and off and was told by Origin tech to replace the battery on the motherboard and replace the power supply. I did this today, and now the computer turns on and off with no problem - but it won't boot. We have tried every boot sequence possible. The only one that worked (UEFI/UBUNTU/UBUNTU) showed my monitor as a low-res 4x3 laptop with no options available. I'm losing my mind. How can replacing a battery cause so many issues? Do I need to get a new computer??? Reinstall Mint? Will I lose all my data??? HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint won't launch after replacing motherboard battery

Post by all41 »

If you replaced the battery your bios settings are reset to default. Make sure your bios is set
to place your boot hdd at the top of the boot order (priority).
Do not reinstall anything at this point. Your data should be safe, but don't use a boot repair
disc or other utility yet.
libera ab tyrannis

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

UEFI/UBUNTU/UBUNTU seems to indicate that you are seeing some sort of boot device. Can you boot from a live USB?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

The CMOS Battery on the Motherboard holds the System Configuration Settings...System Time...System Date and Boot Order.

If you remove this Battery...you must go into the BIOS and Re-set these settings...otherwise your System will not Boot and you'll get an error message every time. Image With the Boot Order...always set the DVD-Rom to number one. Image

Some people like to play around with System Configuration Settings and screw them up...so you then have to Clear or Re-set CMOS and that's done by doing the above. :D When you get...stop/start all of a sudden and continues...I would check for loose cables...Power Supply or HDD/SSD and other things...hope this helps. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

bob466 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:24 am
The CMOS Battery on the Motherboard holds the System Configuration Settings...System Time...System Date and Boot Order.
Plus EFI/UEFI information as I learnt the hard way.

It even holds MS-Windows serial so if you reinstall Windows you do not have to input the S/N again.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Return to “Newbie Questions”