p7zip won't launch

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Stevynix
Level 1
Level 1

p7zip won't launch

Post by Stevynix »

I'm using the latest distro of mint cinnamon which came with p7zip and p7zip full preinstalled, but they were nowhere to be found in the menu when i searched for them. Launching them from the software manager doesn't work either, as nothing happens after i click on launch. I uninstalled them and installed again through terminal, but again, p7zip doesn't show up when i search for it in the menu and launching from software manager does nothing.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: p7zip won't launch

Post by xenopeek »

p7zip doesn't have a graphic user interface. It is the command line program; you need to run it from the terminal.

With those packages installed you should have the commands p7zip, 7z, 7za and 7zr. IDK what the difference between those is but try typing any of those as command on the terminal and it should run or if you didn't install the correct p7zip package it will tell you which package to install to get the command. For further help with those commands you can run man p7zip or similar to read its manual.

You can create 7z archives or extract them from your file manager's context menu and through Archive Manager in your menu.

Stevynix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stevynix »

oh thanks, i didn't know that. Now how do i actually use it to unzip a 7z file?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

You can just double-click a .7z file in your file manager to open it in Archive Manager from where you can extract it. Or right-cick the file in your file manager and choose extract from the context menu.

For using the command line, suggest again to read the manuals. For short summary of usage run a command with the --help argument added.

Stevynix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stevynix »

thanks!

thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...if you fiddle around lots with 7z files, you might be interested in Peazip,
as it exposes in a friendly simple gui a wide variety of 7z options for compressing / decompressing.
For basic right-click extraction, xenopeek already covered it...

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

To use 7zip is very easy...create a Folder and name it on the Desktop and put anything in it you want (.7z is the default). :D

Right click the Folder and select...Compress...you can choose...Other Options and give it a Password if you wish...when click...Create and you're done...it's that simple. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”