[SOLVED] Move files over the desktop like in Windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
M_a_r_c_0
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Move files over the desktop like in Windows

Post by M_a_r_c_0 »

Maybe it sounds silly for those who knows about Linux... But I'm a new emigrant from Windows and I don't know if it is possible to move the files to anywhere over the desktop like in Windows or macOS.
And if it is possible, how to do it?
Last edited by M_a_r_c_0 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Move files over the desktop like in Windows

Post by GS3 »

M_a_r_c_0 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 am
Maybe it sounds silly for those who knows about Linux... But I'm a new emigrant from Windows and I don't know if it is possible to move the files to anywhere over the desktop like in Windows or macOS.
And if it is possible, how to do it?

I am having some difficulty understanding what you are trying to do. I guess you are trying to move a file from a folder somewhere, maybe your home folder, to the desktop. Yes? You would do it just like you do in Windows. You open the folder in the file manager (which one are you using? Nemo?) and drag it to the desktop.

Also note that the "Desktop" is just another folder in your Home folder so you can open the Desktop in your file manager and sort the files alphabetically, by date, etc. I find this useful when I have a cluttered desktop and cannot find a file I know is there somewhere.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
M_a_r_c_0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by M_a_r_c_0 »

No, I know I can move it in that sense, but what I mean is if I can move the folders on the desktop, for example, move it from the left corner to the right simply by dragging the cursor.

And yes, I am using Nemo which file manager do you recommend me? I have seen konqueror file manager and I'm in love with it, but I don't know if should I change to it

But thanks you for answering me :)
Last edited by M_a_r_c_0 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Is desktop right-click -> Customize -> disable Auto-arrange so as to be able to just drag icons around what you are looking for?
M_a_r_c_0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by M_a_r_c_0 »

YESSS!!!! Thanks you so much!!!!
M_a_r_c_0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by M_a_r_c_0 »

rene wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:27 pm
Is desktop right-click -> Customize -> disable Auto-arrange so as to be able to just drag icons around what you are looking for?
YESSSSS!!!! Thanks you so much!!!!!
mxmerce
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Move files over the desktop like in Windows

Post by mxmerce »

Auto-Arrange appears to be broken in Cinnamon on Mint 20.1 unless I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] Move files over the desktop like in Windows

Post by Moem »

mxmerce wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:56 pm
Auto-Arrange appears to be broken in Cinnamon on Mint 20.1 unless I'm missing something.
Mod note:
This is an old thread, already solved, about a possibly different version of Mint. Please start a new topic for your question; I promise, it doesn't cost extra. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”