[Solved} Wine installation failed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved} Wine installation failed

Post by rob281291 »

Hi all
I am a newbie to Linux having bought a new computer with Mint loaded. I am slowly getting the basics but have been using Windows and Macs for last 25 years so Linux is a whole new world.
I want to use a Windows application that works via Wine. I uploaded Wine as per the instructions via Software Manager but it didn't seem to work. So then I tried via the Terminal but that didn't work either. Wine appears in the application list but when I go to configure Wine the Configure Wine menu appears and under the heading Applications it shows "Default Settings". Do I need to do any more to configure Wine?
The Windows application I want to use is "Extract Now". I have downloaded the Extract Now application and it opens OK but wont let me do any configuration so it is not usable.
Is there any way of checking if Wine is working OK?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by rob281291 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine installation failed

Post by decrepit »

wine sets itself up the first time you open a windows program.

If you want to try it, click, "show hidden files" in your file browser view menu. you should see .wine, have a look in there. here's where I find pre installed windows programs.
/home/mike/.wine/drive_c/windows
try double clicking notepad.exe

rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob281291 »

Hi decrepit
OK, thanks for replying.
I looked in home and viewed hidden files. There is no "mike".

".Wine" is there but "Extract Now" is under:
/home/.wine/dosdevices/drive_C/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow

Is it in the wrong place?

There are also several files labelled .x.session-errors and .x.session-errors.old in the Home folder too. Should they be there?

ExtractNow opens OK, but when you click "Settings", nothing happens

rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob281291 »

Sorry, just tried "Notepad.exe" and it opens notepad OK

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Wine and PlayonLinux are a hit and miss affair...some software will work and others wont.Image

I've found running Windoze software in a Windoze Virtual Machine is the best option...you might find a Linux alternative too. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

If you did not install wine via wine-installer you may run into problems and many deps are installed with the wine-installer found in the repositories. Go to synaptic and do a search for wine-installer and install wine again via that mega package. Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

rob281291 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:27 am
Hi decrepit
OK, thanks for replying.
I looked in home and viewed hidden files. There is no "mike".
>>>
Sorry, I did say that's where my wine folder is, as I'm mike, it won't be in your machine. I should have advised you to substitute the name of your home partition.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

And I agree with Bob466, if you can't get your program working in wine, or find a linux alternative, the best way is to run windows in virtualbox.

".Wine" is there but "Extract Now" is under:
/home/.wine/dosdevices/drive_C/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow

Is it in the wrong place?

There are also several files labelled .x.session-errors and .x.session-errors.old in the Home folder too. Should they be there?

ExtractNow opens OK, but when you click "Settings", nothing happens
I've found starting the program in a terminal will give a fault report, it could tell you there's a missing dll you can download.
sorry I forget exactly how to do that now, and I don't have wine installed here to try it out.

But I think it's just

Code: Select all

wine file path
ie,

wine .wine/dosdevices/drive_C/"Program Files (x86)"/ExtractNow.exe
But you may have to play with this to get it to work. Remember linux doesn't like gaps in names, so something like Program Files has to be surrounded by quotes. And the file path needs to be exact of course or you'll get a message saying it doesn't exist.

Yes, that's an appropriate place.
And I have those .x.session files as well, just ignore them

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

decrepit wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 am
But I think it's just

wine file path
ie,

wine .wine/dosdevices/drive_C/"Program Files (x86)"/ExtractNow.exe
It should have $HOME/.wine/etc....

OP, you can make that into a one-line script and put it in your $HOME/bin directory and run it like a normal program. Don't forget to chmod +x script-name. A little more fiddling is required to pass parameters.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob281291 »

Hi all
Thank you Decrepit, KC1Di and Flemur for your replies. Your help is much appreciated. Yes, I did suspect"mike" was your name in the file path, but wasn't sure.

The author of ExtractNow says it works OK using wine, so I thought it would be OK.

I tried wine .wine/dosdevices/drive_C/"Program Files (x86)"/ExtractNow.exe in Terminal but it said "No such file or directory". I see there are 2 "gaps" in that command so that may be why it doesn't work.

So I tried putting in the file path
$home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow/extractnow.exe
but I keep getting
syntax error near unexpected token '('
which must be caused by the gaps in the command. But I have no idea how to fix that.

I have no idea what "Synaptic" is so I tried finding it on google but no luck.

I have heard about using a virtual box but I have no idea how to set it up so it may be a bit beyond this newbie.

If anyone has ideas how to get around those gaps in the file path I'd love to hear it. I tried leaving the gaps out and putting " instead of the gaps but no good.
Thanks
Rob

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

So, Program Files (x86)/, should be "Program Files (x86)"/. The quotes tell linux to ignore the gaps

rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob281291 »

OK, so now its telling me "No such file or directory" even though I copied the file path exactly from the directory.
I wish I could post a copy of the output from Terminal but haven't been able to find a way to do it successfully. I tried Printscreen but the resulting image is too large to post here. Very frustrating.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

Have you tried single quotes (' ') around
Program Files (x86)
. ?
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

In my terminal I can do a normal copy paste, either by right mouse click or the edit menu.

OK I'm back on the laptop with wine. Here's what just worked for me. Copied and pasted from the terminal

mike@mike-ThinkPad:~$ wine .wine/drive_c/"Program Files (x86)"/u-blox/u-center_v8.29/u-center.exe
0009:err:winediag:SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {e5b8e079-ee6d-4e33-a438-c87f2e959254} not registered
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {e5b8e079-ee6d-4e33-a438-c87f2e959254} not registered
0009:err:ole:create_server class {e5b8e079-ee6d-4e33-a438-c87f2e959254} not registered
So u-center opened fine, but there's a pile of error reports. That's what could help you.

Getting file paths exactly right can be a pain. When I have those troubles I find it easier one step at a time, so "cd", (change directory command) back a step or two at a time, like this.

mike@mike-ThinkPad:~$ cd .wine/drive_c
mike@mike-ThinkPad:~/.wine/drive_c$ cd "Program Files (x86)"
mike@mike-ThinkPad:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)$ cd u-blox/u-center_v8.29
mike@mike-ThinkPad:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/u-blox/u-center_v8.29$ wine u-center.exe
0009:err:winediag:SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.
That you spot where the mistake is when it says no such file.

rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob281291 »

Thank you RIH. Yes, I tried single quotes, same result.
Thank you also decrepit. Here is the result of both attempts:

user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$ $home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/'Program Files (x86)'/ExtractNow/extractnow.exe
bash: /user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow/extractnow.exe: No such file or directory
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$ $home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/"Program Files (x86)"/ExtractNow/extractnow.exe
bash: /user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow/extractnow.exe: No such file or directory
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$ cd
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$ cd.wine/
bash: cd.wine/: No such file or directory
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$ cd .wine
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~/.wine$ cd dosdevices
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~/.wine/dosdevices$ cd c:
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:$ cd "Program Files (x86)"
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)$ cd ExtractNow
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow$ cd extractnow.exe
bash: cd: extractnow.exe: Not a directory

So it looks like its saying there is no such file, even though the file is in that folder. Maybe I should try writing to the author and asking him if he knows why it opens but won't allow me to change settings? If you have the time, I don't suppose you might download extract Now and see if you have the same problem? https://extractnow.com/#/home
Rob

Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

rob281291 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:41 am
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow$ cd extractnow.exe
bash: cd: extractnow.exe: Not a directory
"cd" is the command to Change Directory, so why have you done

cd extractnow.exe
instead of

wine extractnow.exe
?

NB:

cd extractnow.exe
= "change directory to 'extractnow.exe'" - but that's your Windows executable, not a directory, so the cd command failed as expected.

wine extractnow.exe
= "execute 'wine' with input parameter 'extractnow.exe'", which tells Wine to set up a Windows environment and run Extractnow.
Currently: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 4.6.6, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20β, LM18.2

rob281291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob281291 »

Sorry, I didn't understand what I was supposed to be doing. I am still getting my head around the language.

So I have now done this :
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$ wine extractnow.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\extractnow.exe"
user@user-AB350M-D3H:~$

I am assuming that is not the response we were looking for. It appears to be looking in the wrong place, not in /home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/ExtractNow where the .exe is located.

Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

Bearing in mind I'm no expert (just trying to help), there are several things I can think of you can try:

cd <full path to required executable>
wine <executable>
or

wine <full path to required executable>/<executable>
Obviously you need to substitute what's in <...>, and anything with a space in it needs quoting so "<...>" is always safe.
rob281291 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:08 am
I am still getting my head around the language.
It's not a language as such, just a set of commands similar to DOS - but they can be combined into a script file (like DOS .bat), so I guess "language" isn't too loose a term. Google "simple linux commands" and you'll get an explanation of cd, ls, cat etc.
Last edited by Dark Owl on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

I just downloaded and installed extractnow and it installed and ran perfectly in my wine install , it should put and Icon on your desktop.
So I'm not sure what may have gone wrong with your install but I would start over. First, as I said remove wine completely from your computer. Then using wine-installer in synaptic reinstall it. then reinstall extractnow and it should run. If you still have problems it may be helpful to also install playonlinux it's a front end for wine in which you can install multiple wine versions. and that can be helpful in installing some programs.
In any even Extractnow has a platinum rating on wine apps database and it runs fine on wine 4.0. So it should run on your machine also.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

kc1di wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:46 am
I just downloaded and installed extractnow and it installed and ran perfectly in my wine install , it should put and Icon on your desktop.
So I'm not sure what may have gone wrong with your install but I would start over. First, as I said remove wine completely from your computer. Then using wine-installer in synaptic reinstall it. then reinstall extractnow and it should run.
That sounds like a better idea, even if you learn less about Linux itself - if there is something wrong with the Wine or Extractnow installation, you would be on a wild goose chase.

Return to “Newbie Questions”