[SOLVED] Questions on Cache

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tsidkenu
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Questions on Cache

Post by Tsidkenu »

So I've literally just dipped my toes into this Minty water and so far its 1,000,000% better than that bloatware windows crap. My computer's (re)boot time has reduced from 8 minutes to 30 seconds.

The only things prohibiting me making a full switch to 100% Mint installation (as opposed to using just a flashdrive) are the following:

1. Google Chrome Cached browsing histories, etc. I have a lot of standard websites that I have accounts for with the data stored in Google Chrome. I saw that there is an open source Linux version: Chromium (as opposed to using Firefox). Would using Chromium recall all the cache I have stored already in my existing Google chrome account or do I have to start again from scratch? Just need to know if I have to trawl my Windows for all my logins/passwords before I decide this point.

2. Partitioning. I have no idea how, or if, I should partition my existing HDD for dual operating with Linux. At the moment everything associated with my Windows system is occupying ~600 mb of an 843 mb partition. My second drive has 824 GB free (of 919 GB).

3. Bible Software. As an Old Testament scholar, this is a crucial component. At the moment I am using E-SWORD and I doubt Xiphos or The SWORD Project have entirely the same sets of resources (although they do have others absent from E-Sword, like Luther's works, which will make a dual operating system ideal).

Mind you, at the moment the Flash drive doesn't seem to remember any of the settings I change, like network connections and esp. mouse - I'm left handed and its a damn pain changing that every damn time I load Linux from Flash. So unless someone has an idea for how I can make this Flash drive MINT OS actually remember my settings and changes?
Last edited by Tsidkenu on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Questions on Cache

Post by RIH »

1. You can actually download a .deb of Chrome if you so desire.
By using 'addons' or built in functions it is usually possible to export favourite sites & usernames/passwords from almost any browser & then import them back into almost any other browser.
However, if you are going to use the same browser then that is usually easily achieved by creating an account with the browser & then saving your personal data to that. Then you just download the same browser to your new system & log into it by your account name.
Anyway, here is a bit of information about Chromium & Chrome & how to add them into Mint.
https://linuxhint.com/install_google_chrome_linux_mint/

2. The choice is yours on partitioning & where you install Mint.
Personally I would tend towards keeping it away from the Windows partition simply because Windows updates have been known to damage the Mint grub.
If your systems are installed on separate drives then you can always invoke BIOS to get back into Mint - or Windows, come to that..

3. Sorry cannot be of any help here..

As far as getting your Mint USB to remember settings... for that you need to have installed Mint on a USB with persistence.
Here is a random "how to" from Google for that...
https://www.debugpoint.com/2019/10/how- ... inux-mint/

But, there is a very comprehensive guide on persistence & USBs somewhere on this forum, if you care to search for it...
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Tsidkenu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Questions on Cache

Post by Tsidkenu »

RIH wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:46 am
As far as getting your Mint USB to remember settings... for that you need to have installed Mint on a USB with persistence.
Here is a random "how to" from Google for that...
https://www.debugpoint.com/2019/10/how- ... inux-mint/

But, there is a very comprehensive guide on persistence & USBs somewhere on this forum, if you care to search for it...
Cheers for that! I didn't know the words for it. I'll take a look.

Tsidkenu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Questions on Cache

Post by Tsidkenu »

This is now solved! I decided to go with a full clean install after liking what I experienced on the USB drive, so partition didn't really matter. Got Chrome and all is working fine. I decided to actually record (in code) my usual haunts and passwords so I have a useful paper backup for all that now.
Tsidkenu wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:11 am
3. Bible Software. As an Old Testament scholar, this is a crucial component. At the moment I am using E-SWORD and I doubt Xiphos or The SWORD Project have entirely the same sets of resources (although they do have others absent from E-Sword, like Luther's works, which will make a dual operating system ideal).
I am using Wine with E-Sword 12.10 and it works fine. I only freaked out when it tried to install in my c:/Programs dir, because I use Linux and don't have one! But now I realise its a Wine thing and I don't have to worry about it. But hey, its not like E-sword will mind sitting alone in the c:/ dir! I'm not going to be installing any other Windows programs any time soon!! I probably won't be able to figure out how to add the Leningrad Codex and Wycliffe's NT, but I'll probably be able to nab those on Xiphos.

Cheers for the assistance!

Return to “Newbie Questions”