File Transfer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
subhamlinux
Level 1
Level 1

File Transfer

Post by subhamlinux »

What is the easiest way to transfer files between two computer without using wire and external drives?
Please Describe the process......
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: File Transfer

Post by iain_33 »

Hello subhamlinux

Is this between 2 computers with Mint, or from a Windows computer to a Mint one, or vice versa?

Also which version of Mint?
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Linux Mint 19.3 Mate on HP G70 laptop (2009)
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Easiest by far (in my opinion) is rsync.

You didn't mention windows, so I'm assuming between two Linux machines.

Anything I want to transfer to another machine I put in a high level directory, to keep the command short. EXAMPLE; ~/testing, not /home/user-name/videos/music/classic-rock/38-special. (although there is no reason you can't do that)

I also like to pretty much always use the -a option, which among other things, copies recursively, and preserves permissions (important). Also usually use the -v (verbose) and -h (human readable) options. I never use the encryption options.

So the very simple command to send the "testing" folder and it's contents to another machine is;

rsync -avh ~/testing/ 192.168.0.101:~/testing

For more info you can man rsync
maybe better is this website; https://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-rem ... -commands/
or this one; https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... s-on-a-vps

Make a testing folder, and practice with it.
Everyone should know how to use rsync, even if you don't have two machines, A lot of backup software use rsync because it is good, and fast, and easy.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's
subhamlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by subhamlinux »

iain_33 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 am
Hello subhamlinux

Is this between 2 computers with Mint, or from a Windows computer to a Mint one, or vice versa?

Also which version of Mint?
Yes... Both are Linux. One is Linux mint Cinnamon 19.2 and another is Manjaro kde

Return to “Newbie Questions”