[SOLVED] A couple problems since upgrade to Mint 7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Unstuck

[SOLVED] A couple problems since upgrade to Mint 7

Post by Unstuck »

I noticed two problems since upgrading to 7.

1) I only hear sound from Amarok. Nothing from Songbird, Exaile, Banshee, or Pandora through Firefox.
~ $ inxi -A
Audio: Card Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 driver EMU10K1_Audigy
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.18rc3
2) Firefox opens blank dialog boxes that are razor thin. When expanded, the box is blank. Also, I just found out the bookmark sidebar is also blank.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Unstuck

Re: A couple problems since upgrade to Mint 7

Post by Unstuck »

Update. Firefox seems to be working well (except for the sound problem) after rebooting.
jesica

Post by jesica »

if you download something in Internet Explorer it will not open in Firefox, I use Opera it works better for me and open IE files
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Staffie.. what are you talking about? You realize that Internet Explorer does not run on Linux, correct? And IE was never mentioned?
jesica

Post by jesica »

i know, he was talking about firefox,

my work pc is windows base with IE, so when I save webpages on usb to view at home on my Linux box, Firefox does not open them

Opera is the only one that opens that extension files

so I just told hiem if he has the problem he will know what is wrong
jesica

Post by jesica »

Last edited by jesica on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

That would all be well and good.. if he had mentioned anything about IE in his post.

Plus the fact that he had already stated that the Firefox problem was solved, and the only remaining issue is sound.
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

The web pages were working fine until the upgrade from 6 to 7. I'm not sure where IE figures in...
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Unstuck wrote:The web pages were working fine until the upgrade from 6 to 7. I'm not sure where IE figures in...
It doesn't. I have no idea where he came up with that. Sorry I don't have a solution for you :?
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

I used the live CD just for kicks...sound was good so I thought another install would fix the problem. I was wrong :(
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

I noticed that when I go to sites that rely heavily on flash, like Pandora, my CPU usage maxes out, and web surfing crawls along until I close the tab for that site. Is it possible this and my sound problem are related in some way?
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

So...am I out of luck, then?
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

bump
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

This may work well for you:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32725

Notice that I made fresh clean install to ensure that the right things are on the place.
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

igorzwx wrote:This may work well for you:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32725

Notice that I made fresh clean install to ensure that the right things are on the place.

Fixed it! Thank you, igorzwx!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”