(SOLVED)Programs/Apps will not open, just continue to load

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TyphoidLmJ
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED)Programs/Apps will not open, just continue to load

Post by TyphoidLmJ »

Hello:

I have searched the topic boards, and either cannot find an answer to this particular problem, or all of the solutions are beyond my simple grasp of the how to navigate and use Linux itself.

A little background: I am running a Toshiba machine with Linux Mint 64 Bit (I think), Cinnamon.
According to the directions I read on another post, I used the inxi -Fxxxz command to get this information:
System: Host: Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Info: Processes: 168 Uptime: 15:40 Memory: 871.5/3835.8MB
Init: Upstart v: 1.12.1 runlevel: 2 default: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111 running in gnome-terminal) inxi: 2.2.28

I have been using this OS for about 4 years on this computer, and have never had much trouble with it, nor any problems I have not been able to solve with a quick search and some copy and paste into the terminal. However, I recently have an issue that I cannot seem to overcome. I have purchased a laser engraver kit, and needed the software to control the CNC laser itself. While it came with an open source software, LASERGRBL, I was having trouble with it, and the support was minimal. I decided to look into other programs, and downloaded a few. Some I had intended were to have operated with WINE, while at least one I downloaded the LINUX version as well as the windows, and neither will work. I downloaded these last two from the LIGHTBURN website using Chrome.

Since the program with the most support and the one I think I would like to use long term is LIGHTBURN, that is the one I will focus my question on. When I click on the windows version of the launch file, either from the desktop icon, the menu in the WINE section, or navigating to it in the file folder, it does the same thing. Nothing happens, and the "thinking" circle appears for a moment, and then disappears. The app does not launch. The other two programs I downloaded to work with WINE are the same way.

I also have the LINUX version of the program, and it was downloaded into a ZIP type format. I extracted it into a folder, and it shows a run file. This file will not operate in any way. I have tried double clicking, right clicking and saying "Open" I have tried to navigate there in the terminal and open it, but received errors. I have checked the permissions to make sure it was selected as an executable file, and it is.

Most of my other programs function fine, it seems to be only the 3 i have tried for the laser engraver recently that do not work. I tried uninstalling the software that came with the engraver, as that seemed to be when most of the problems started to crop up, but still no luck.

I am not very familiar with the terminal commands or functionality, I was able to download and install Linux MInt years ago, and have muddled thru using the GUI most of the time. This is the first time I have come against a real wall like this. I appreciate any help and patience that could be given.
Last edited by TyphoidLmJ on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Programs/Apps will not open, just continue to load

Post by Flemur »

TyphoidLmJ wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:44 am
Since the program with the most support and the one I think I would like to use long term is LIGHTBURN, that is the one I will focus my question on. When I click on the windows version of the launch file, either from the desktop icon, the menu in the WINE section, or navigating to it in the file folder, it does the same thing. Nothing happens, and the "thinking" circle appears for a moment, and then disappears. The app does not launch. The other two programs I downloaded to work with WINE are the same way.
The .exe windows file is probably the installer. In any case, try running it from the terminal so you can see useful information:

Code: Select all

wine LightBurn-v0.9.14.exe
I also have the LINUX version of the program, and it was downloaded into a ZIP type format. I extracted it into a folder, and it shows a run file. This file will not operate in any way. I have tried double clicking, right clicking and saying "Open" I have tried to navigate there in the terminal and open it, but received errors. I have checked the permissions to make sure it was selected as an executable file, and it is.
They don't offer a .zip file download*, they offer a .run file to download, and also a .7z archive format, which you extract the files from, and then run the LightBurn file, and it worked for me.

* https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
TyphoidLmJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphoidLmJ »

Thank you for your reply

Yes the windows exe file is the installer, which I ran, and it subsequently produced a desktop icon and launcher for the program under the WINE section of the menu. But attempting to open these results in the computer processing for a moment, and then nothing.

You are correct, I am sorry for not being specific, I downloaded the .7z archive format, which I extracted, and then tried to run the program by using the LightBurn file in that folder, which produced no results. It is as if I did not click on it at all.

I followed your advice regarding launching from the terminal, and got this message: wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\LightBurn-v0.9.14.exe"

Thankyou
TyphoidLmJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphoidLmJ »

I just remembered, I downloaded the other file that was available on the lightburn website for Linux, it gave me a strange error message, I'll update when I get home. It was the .Run file. It told me something about it not being able to comprehend the language used.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

I think that you have a more immediate issue.
According to the data, you are using an outdated & no longer supported edition of Mint and a kernel which is well past its' best.
You might be better off installing either Mint 19.3, or even waiting a couple of weeks & grabbing Mint 20.

As far as the LASERGRBL software goes, I see that they have just (4th. June) released version 3.5. Maybe with an up to date system & kernel that would prove to be up to your task.

With the LIGHTBURN .run file you need to right mouse click on the file, go to Properties & then click the Allow executing file as a program tick box on the Permissions tab.
Then Open the file & Run when offered the choice.
You will now have a LIGHTBURN entry in your Menu, click on that to open - it looks to be a free trial only..

Edited to add screen shot
ll.jpeg
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
TyphoidLmJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphoidLmJ »

Thank you, I will look into how to update the software, that's not something I have ever done with this system.

As far as the .run file goes, I did check the properties, it is enabled to run as an executable file.

Thanks for the reply, I will continue to try
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

TyphoidLmJ wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:41 am
Thank you, I will look into how to update the software, that's not something I have ever done with this system.
By prepared for the possibility that you'll have to completely re-install a newer version, rather than update 17.3 to a newer version.

Edit: see this thread -
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=319115
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
TyphoidLmJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphoidLmJ »

Yeah I backed up all my stuff and am going to wipe and do a clean install, My hope is that this will take care of the problems I am having with the LIghtburn software.
Thanks
TyphoidLmJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TyphoidLmJ »

Thank you all for your advice and help, I am unsure as to the source of the original problem, which was that the apprun files simply would not start the program, but I installed the latest version of Linux Mint and now the program works as intended.

Thanks again.

Return to “Newbie Questions”