Linux Mint, the ultimate "out-of-the-box" experience... NOT.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DSpider
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint, the ultimate "out-of-the-box" experience... NOT.

Post by DSpider »

For a distribution that promises an "out-of-the-box" experience I'm a bit disappointed. I've tried Linux Mint in the past (about a year ago). Sometimes it worked with me, sometimes it didn't.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16427
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 095#p96095
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16341
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=32043

I used Elyssa for about 6 months and been happy for around 3/4 of the time. Then reverted back to Windows XP and was about 1/4 happy (kept crashing, didn't like my sound drivers and rebooted when it saw fit). Now I thought of giving Linux Mint another shot. However........

1. When I start my PC I'm asked for a password to enable my internet connection. Why would I wanna to do that ?? How do I disable this "keyring" thing ? Because I'm the only one using the computer. I currently set it to something easy (the letter Q) so I wouldn't have to type it in every time I turn it on.

2. Sometimes the internet connection doesn't start after I type that stupid keyring password and I have to manually click (left click not right click) the Network icon and choose my connection. I'm guessing it's a lag thing and need to set a delay of some sorts. But there's no option for that in the DSL settings !

3. Next, the window is always shifted to the left after a reboot. I need to manually go to the Control Center - NVIDIA X Server Settings - X Server Display Configuration - change the resolution to 1280x1024 with a 75 Hz refresh rate and hit the Apply button. Then hit Ok when asked if I wish to keep the current settings and then hit the Quit button (or the X in the corner of the window, same thing). If I hit the "Save to X Configuration File" button it asks me how to save it (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) and complains that "Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'." Whaaa ??? Why ? No permission ? Why not ask for the root password ? Oh, by the way, what IS the default root password in Linux Mint ?

Hope you can clarify these... 'issues' for me. Thank you for reading this.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint, the ultimate "out-of-the-box" experience... NOT.

Post by DrHu »

I haven't had much problem with Linux mint 7 (gloria) main release
DSpider wrote:1. When I start my PC I'm asked for a password to enable my internet connection. Why would I wanna to do that ?? How do I disable this "keyring" thing ? Because I'm the only one using the computer.
...Why would I wanna to do that ??
Yup it's the keyring thing; its purpose is to secure your passwords on the system; and maybe provide secured access to some repositories..
Mint menu>All Applications>Accessories>Passwords and Encryption keys..
in terminal, check
  • apt search keyring
    i gnome-keyring - GNOME keyring services (daemon and tools)
    i linuxmint-keyring - GnuPG key of the Linux Mint repository
    i ubuntu-keyring - GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive
Because I'm the only one using the computer
Why would that make any difference
--don't you want the computer to be as secure for yourself as for multiple users (if there were any)
In order to decide for that option (getting rid of any security features of the OS), you would first have to understand why the keyring is being used
DSpider wrote:2. Sometimes the internet connection doesn't start after I type that stupid keyring password and I have to manually click (left click not right click) the Network icon and choose my connection. I'm guessing it's a lag thing and need to set a delay of some sorts. But there's no option for that in the DSL settings !
There is a delay caused by Mintupdate while it connects to the repository; however that doesn't apart from an initial settling of the speed of the connection affect the wireless connection, which has already started..
Use the Mint menu>All Applications>Accessories>Passwords and Encryption keys..
--delete your current password Q; reset your wireless network setting, and let it create a new keyring for you, if you do it correctly, and the wireless network is set for automatically connect, then you only have to set the password once
--you are using a wireless security setting?, minimal would be WEP, (almost as bad as completely open) or wpa2, personal or enterpise versions
DSpider wrote:If I hit the "Save to X Configuration File" button it asks me how to save it (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) and complains that "Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'." Whaaa ??? Why ? No permission ? Why not ask for the root password ? Oh, by the way, what IS the default root password in Linux Mint ?
what IS the default root password in Linux Mint ?
The password for root control (privilege) is the password for the first user created when the OS was installed.

DSpider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DSpider »

I just want my (DSL) internet connection to start automatically without using a password, set a delay for 10-30 seconds (or a few retries) after the system starts and be able to save my xorg.conf file with a 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz setting. How do I do that ?

So far these three are my 'issues' with the Linux Mint "out-of-the-box" <insert thunder here> experience.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

1) Control centre/system/authorisations/network-manager-settings/system/modify system connection. Grant yourself an explicit authorisation with no constraints. If it asks for the root password you type your user password. The other way around this is to disable autologin.

2) I think this will go away when you have done 1 above.

3) Alt/F2, gksu nvidia-settings then try again.

An out of the box experience means it is set up for the majority of users not just to suit you. If you want that you will have to write your own distro.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

And why the attitude? If you want a real "out of the box" failure, try installing Windows from scratch..
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Kaye wrote:And why the attitude? If you want a real "out of the box" failure, try installing Windows from scratch..
Been there, done that, have the T shirt. Mint 7 does it all.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

DSpider wrote:For a distribution that promises an "out-of-the-box" experience I'm a bit disappointed.
I would love to see the reference for that statement please!

Secondly, please read my post on the Myth of Out of the Box:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... th#p172482

1002richards
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1002richards »

Worked immed after install for me!!! ( If that's 'out of the box?!). Wireless no probs, Mobile Broadband no prob. Dual boot with Vista no prob, triple boot with Crunchbang - no prob. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”