[SOLVED] Install newer kernels manually?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chris67
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Install newer kernels manually?

Post by chris67 »

Hello

I have LM19.3 running 5.3 kernel but notice the 5.4 is available in Update Manager. Another computer has LM19.1 running 4.15 kernel which seems very old.

Should I install the 5.4 kernel on both? Just curious as to why update mgr wouldn't move to the newest kernel always.

Chris
Last edited by chris67 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install newer kernels manually?

Post by erginemr »

Hi,

I did the same, no issues so far. You can go ahead with 5.4. However, you should leave at least one older kernel in the system as a fallback.
chris67 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:51 am
Just curious as to why update mgr wouldn't move to the newest kernel always.
I guess this is because kernel updates are a sensible issue; that might potentially break things. Beforehand, there were update levels from 1 to 5 inside Mint Update Manager, 1 being the safest to update, while 5 being riskiest. I remember big kernel updates (such as 5.3 to 5.4) were treated as lv. 4 or 5.
Last edited by erginemr on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free as in free speech...
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Chris67.

The kernel series 4.15.0 is an LTS kernel series, long term support, i.e. supported till April 2023.
Provided a system runs perfectly on kernel series 4.15.0, there is no really good reason to change to a different kernel series.
In particular if the machine is an older machine with older hardware.

Reccent machines with recent hardware, however, may even force you to switch to a newer kernel series.
(Like my office machine e.g., where the hardware requires kernel series 5.0.0 or higher)

Update Manager will suggest switching to a newer kernel series to you, in case it realizes that the kernel series, which you are using, has reached the end of its supported life.
Kernel series 5.3.0 will reach the end of its supported life in August. Update Manager will suggest switching to kernel series 5.4.0 then.

Kernel series 5.4.0 is the next Ubuntu LTS kernel series, i.e. it will be supported till April 2025.

It is up to you to decide whether you wish to upgrade both machines to kernel series 5.4.0 or to stick with the current kernel series.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
chris67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chris67 »

Thank you all :D
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] Install newer kernels manually?

Post by MartyMint »

Kernel upgrades aren't like Windows updates.
"Latest Bleeding Edge" is a Windows mindset that has crept into the Linux world over the years. I wish that wasn't the case.

Return to “Newbie Questions”