Linux kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Linux kernel?

Post by chowchow »

Why the new kernel updates every month? And also why when i go to the update manager under kernels where it says WARNING!- if you have any issues reboot by holding down the SHIFT key???? And then selecting a new kernel i did this 3 times and it did NOTHING? Do they mean hold down the F12 button because that brings me to HDD or CD/DVD etc. I dont know what holding the shift key is supposed to do to get me to the place to remove the old kernel and install the new one please help? Thank you. P.S. I cant find my advanced options either to get the older kernel.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux kernel?

Post by erginemr »

For general tidbits on the subject, please take a look at
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=322791

Shift key allows you to see the Grub menu, which is hidden by default if you only have Linux Mint on your system. From the Grub boot menu, under "Advanced Options" you may select a lower kernel to boot, in case you cannot boot from the newly installed kernel.
Pano01.jpg
Pano02.jpg
Free as in free speech...
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

Ok thanks but how do i get to the menu to select advanced options? I have an old toshiba satellite c655D laptop and when im restarting and i press or hold down the shift key it does nothing? Is there another key i should be pressing?
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

None other than Shift that I know.

However, you can force Grub to display the menu by default. From the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
There you should see those two lines:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
Modify them as:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
Then, commit the changes by:

sudo update-grub
Upon restart, you should be able to see the menu with a 5 seconds countdown.
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

Ok thank you but just say i wanted to install an older kernel because the new update messed up my screen etc etc, and i wasnt able to do the process you described, how would i get to the menu to do these changes in order to get the older kernel? If i do a kernel update and it messes up the entire computer and just say the screen is black how on earth would i be able to do a kernel update to get back to normal? I just need to know in case this ever happens which i hope it doesn't please reply thank you.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

You will have Grub anyway. New kernel installation will not mess with grub. And with the commands I have given above (which you should apply before installing the new kernel and check if you can see Grub boot screen), you should be able to reach the old kernel no matter what happens.

Besides, rest assured that I have upgraded the kernel several times under Mint and have never experienced boot failure. Worst case scenario is some of your perpherials (webcam, printer, microphone, etc.) might stop working with the new kernel. But it is easy to revert to the old one with the Update Manager.
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

Ok thanks for your help. :D I did a windows 7 update about 5 years ago and it blacked out my screen and NOTHING was working i has to pay some guy 100 bucks to fix the damn thing, i was just worried something like that could happen in mint?
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

Do you use TLP or THERMALD? Do these help you out?
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

chowchow wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:40 am
Ok thanks for your help. :D I did a windows 7 update about 5 years ago and it blacked out my screen and NOTHING was working i has to pay some guy 100 bucks to fix the damn thing, i was just worried something like that could happen in mint?
Well, as they say; sh*t happens. Especially regarding IT stuff. I made a habit of expecting hardware failure anytime I switch on both my desktop and laptop. I believe in karma. :lol:
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

I believe in that too but my karmas clean i do way more good than bad. :wink:
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

chowchow wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:39 am
Ok thanks but how do i get to the menu to select advanced options? I have an old toshiba satellite c655D laptop and when im restarting and i press or hold down the shift key it does nothing? Is there another key i should be pressing?
A quick web-search doesn't say one way or the other but it's probably a UEFI machine rather than plain old BIOS? The wording from the Update Manager warning might mean it's not in fact the case for current versions of Grub anymore --- no idea --- but certainly historically you needed to press (not hold down) Esc while Grub was starting to get to the Grub menu on UEFI systems.

If that's not the issue by the way also note that you need to be relatively precise about when to hold down shift: the point the boot transitions from BIOS to disk, i.e., just before (if any) a message like "booting" appears, or..., not earlier nor later. Not something able to be put in precise terms across all machines.
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

I was thinking that i press F2 to get into that when rebooting? I know F12 gets me into an area where i can boot up from HDD/SSD or CD/DVD etc but maybe i press F2??? I dont know lol thanks for your help.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Nah. F2 is going to be a BIOS-level choice if any. Esc resp. holding down Left-Shift is it for Grub on UEFI resp. old BIOS. At which point I notice I don't believe to have seen it specified in the above that it needs to be left shift. I.e., if you're a right-Shifter that may be it...
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

erginemr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 am
None other than Shift that I know.

However, you can force Grub to display the menu by default. From the terminal:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
There you should see those two lines:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
Modify them as:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
Then, commit the changes by:

sudo update-grub
Upon restart, you should be able to see the menu with a 5 seconds countdown.
I tried to do this erginemr but when i got to the sudo update-grub it wouldnt let me do that command and finish the process? I changed the 2 lines you told me too but when it got to that last part i couldnt complete it im sure im doing something wrong im use to windows so this is very strange to me. Thanks for all you help much appreciated. When i get to the last part and try to update this i have no place nor does it ask me to put my password in to change this whats wrong? :?
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

I tried to do this erginemr but when i got to the sudo update-grub it wouldnt let me do that command and finish the process? I changed the 2 lines you told me too but when it got to that last part i couldnt complete it im sure im doing something wrong im use to windows so this is very strange to me. Thanks for all you help much appreciated. When i get to the last part and try to update this i have no place nor does it ask me to put my password in to change this whats wrong? :?
Is there a special place where im suppose to put the command sudo update-grub? And its not asking me for my password as it did in the begging.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

chowchow wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:20 am
Is there a special place where im suppose to put the command sudo update-grub? And its not asking me for my password as it did in the begging.
I really don't know what's wrong. Can you please post the error messages with this command, or a screenshot will do.

sudo update-grub
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Also please enter your UEFI (BIOS) settings to see if you can handle the issue from there. I have learned the hard way that you can also configure the boot order from UEFI from the following thread, but cannot confirm as my machine has BIOS only:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=322783
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

I was able to change the 2 things you told me to change but when it came to the update i put # sudo update-grub and pressed enter but nothing happened it didnt ask for a password so it didnt complete. I'm a newbie to screenshots too not really sure that a whole other topic lol. Thanks for your help ill just hope that i never have to get into that section of my computer. And i hope that none of my kernel updates mess with anything that would cause me a problem.
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

chowchow wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:50 pm
I was able to change the 2 things you told me to change but when it came to the update i put # sudo update-grub and pressed enter but nothing happened it didnt ask for a password so it didnt complete. I'm a newbie to screenshots too not really sure that a whole other topic lol. Thanks for your help ill just hope that i never have to get into that section of my computer. And i hope that none of my kernel updates mess with anything that would cause me a problem.
When you typed sudo nano... a timer started that allows you to run other sudo commands without the need for the password. Chances are the update-grub command ran just fine, as no error was reported.

EDIT: Actually, you show a pound sign in front of sudo update-grub, so I'm not sure that the nano changes were saved yet.
Last edited by MrEen on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Okay, given that erginemr just dropped offline I'll do it then: why did you "put # sudo update grub" with that initial #? That's the comment marker in shell so indeed you wouldn't get anything from that. Can't see it in the advise above either so half expecting that we're being trolled here, but in any case: sudo update-grub. No #.

Return to “Newbie Questions”