Linux kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux kernel?

Post by erginemr »

I had to have the kids go to bed, it is past midnight here in Istanbul. Thank you for helping me out. :)
Free as in free speech...
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

I tried it with no # didnt work NO this is not a troll wouldnt get any thrill out of wasting my time or anyone else's. :roll:
Tsidkenu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsidkenu »

If I may peacefully hijack this thread for a moment...

This is my first time to see a Kernel update (new to Mint!) so I'm wondering if I should go right on ahead and update it? Is it something that is urgent to be done? And if I have problems, I just revert to the old Kernel as per the advice with Grub at boot?

Do I need to run a backup thingee (what's it called... Timeshift snapshot?) first?
freshminted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freshminted »

My experience is that kernel updates usually go ok, but they can ruin your day. Luckily you can "shift boot" if something goes wrong.

Restart your computer by turning the power off and on if necessary, hold down the shift key to get to the grub menu and select the previous kernel to boot from. Some of my computers have needed this treatment with the kernel updates this week. In fact the new kernels all worked, but they misbehaved at first.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

chowchow wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm
I tried it with no # didnt work NO this is not a troll wouldnt get any thrill out of wasting my time or anyone else's. :roll:
No problem. Asking the same over and over again may sound silly to you, but we need a clue somewhere.

So, more questions on the way:
1. Content of the file /etc/default/grub
2. Output of the command sudo update-grub
3. Did you pay a visit to your UEFI settings? You need to disable a gimmick called "seuıre boot" there and enable "bios legacy boot" if there is such an option.
4. What happens when you restart? Blank screen? Windows bootup? You can try and force Grub to display by holding Shift or Esc pressed at startup.
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

Yes i tried rebooting several times and the only buttons that do anything when i restart is F2 and F12. Pressing SHIFT key does nothing what so ever. I guess some peoples computers do other things when the shift key is pressed at start-up mine does nothing i held it down and pressed it and it stared up regularly like it always does didnt bring me to any special menu. I'm going to end this thread because its not going anywhere but i really appreciate everyones time and effort on this and you erginemr. P.S. I dont use terminals often and im new so i dont know the symbols i got this # and $ confused when i put this #. Because i know this ~$ is ahead of when i log into my terminal and put in my password.
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

freshminted wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:17 pm
My experience is that kernel updates usually go ok, but they can ruin your day. Luckily you can "shift boot" if something goes wrong.

Restart your computer by turning the power off and on if necessary, hold down the shift key to get to the grub menu and select the previous kernel to boot from. Some of my computers have needed this treatment with the kernel updates this week. In fact the new kernels all worked, but they misbehaved at first.
What is shift boot? Is that just rebooting computer and holding down the shift key? Because with my computer it does nothing when holding down shift key. Is everyones computer supposed to go into grub menu when holding down shift key?
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

OK, sorry that it didn't work for you. :?

You seem to be unlucky this time. I hope you will overcome this nuisance any other way.
freshminted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freshminted »

chowchow wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:44 am
What is shift boot? Is that just rebooting computer and holding down the shift key? Because with my computer it does nothing when holding down shift key. Is everyones computer supposed to go into grub menu when holding down shift key?
Thirty odd years ago, "shift boot" was when you held down the shift key while booting a Mac. Then it didn't load any extensions during the boot process. Then you could work your way through the extensions to find out which one was giving you problems.

AFAIK the grub menu is supposed to appear when you hold down the shift key and boot Linux Mint. It does on all my LM computers.
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

The only thing i can think of if i ever have a problem with an update of ANY kind is to do a TimeShift and bring it back a few hours or a week that would solve it right lol and i have no problem doing that thanks ALL for your time and effort.

Return to “Newbie Questions”