Install an old kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Install an old kernel?

Post by chowchow »

If i want to go from 4.15.0-108 to 4.15.0-106 how do i do this? I open up the old kernel and i see queue installation and install buttons now which one do i press? And after i do that i just reboot and its on the older kernel again? I want to do this because it seems this newer update kernel is making my internal fan run alot more than usual. I cant seem to get it to stop and this happened after the latest update please help thanks. I tried doing this what i described above and it didnt change back to the older kernel???? HELP!

erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install an old kernel?

Post by erginemr »

Hi,

Putting aside the kernel issue on which we have been discussing with you in another thread, you can also focus on the cpu temperature issue by trying the monitoring and regulatory software suggested in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=321529
Free as in free speech...

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

It depends what the kernel position looks like on your machine.
Mine is attached below.
4.15.0-108 is shown as my Active kernel. That means that it will be one that is used if I just accept to start Mint from the grub menu.
However, 106 & 101 are also shown as Installed. That means that if I select the Additional options at Grub I will also be able to boot from either of those.
I could add any additional kernels just by clicking on them & clicking the install button. They would then be added as an optional kernel as 106 & 101 currently are.

108 would still be the kernel automatically selected at start up unless you make another selection..
Kernels.png
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

Ok thanks but what is Queue instillation for what does that do? So if i choose the older kernel and press install then on my next reboot it will be the older kernel? I tried that and it didnt work am i doing something wrong?

chowchow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chowchow »

erginemr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:27 am
Hi,

Putting aside the kernel issue on which we have been discussing with you in another thread, you can also focus on the cpu temperature issue by trying the monitoring and regulatory software suggested in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=321529
Do you use TLP or THERMALD? Do these help you out?

erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

chowchow wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 am

Do you use TLP or THERMALD? Do these help you out?
Actually, you can install both. They won't conflict with each other. And there is lm-sensors as a console tool and psensor as a gui for monitoring cpu/gpu temp.

I have them installed. I am not 100% sure whether they had any effect at all, but as a Windows user by dual boot, I can say Linux runs cooler with less fan action.
Free as in free speech...

Return to “Newbie Questions”