new to mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
caplam
Level 1
Level 1

new to mint

Post by caplam »

Hello,

I've bought a new laptop that i'll have next week. Time for me to switch. For now (and since 8 years ) i'm on macos for my main computer.
The next one will be an xps13 with 1TB ssd. It will arrive installed with win 10.
I'm considering dual boot with mint or if i find i can do almost everything with mint, stick with it as only os.
So my first question comes with the installation. I startup a vm to try mint 19.3 cinnamon.
At the beginning of the installation you have to choose disk layup. I assigned 22GB to the vm.
When choosing lvm (this is what i plan to do on the laptop) the whole disk is used for mint-vg which contain root and swap_1 lvs.
I've not found another way to use lvm.
So i guess i have to shrink root lv to make a lvhome.
If i use the whole ssd i plan to use 60Gig for root and the rest for /home.
Can i shrink root in terminal right after installation and then create lvhome and mount it to /home ?

If i go for a dual boot with win10 (i have a few windows only softwares) is there a way to use /home for windows user folders (download, desktop, documents,...) ?

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: new to mint

Post by Pierre »

- you shouldn't need to utilise the LVM type partitioning .. at least in that Virtual System
you could also make the Virtual System, an little bigger .. 22Gb is fairly small.

- you can't use /home for windows - either
you could try an sym-link, though ( short-cut ) for each folder, instead.

- that 60Gb is a bit big for an / root .. try about 30Gb instead .. give the rest, back to the /home partition.

- any partition changes, must be made from the LinuxMint Live Media .. not from the Installed System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Do you have a link to the laptop detailed specs? Before discussing lvm we need to establish hardware support.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd use dual boot until you're damn sure you don't need/want Windows.

caplam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caplam »

Pierre wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:15 am
- you shouldn't need to utilise the LVM type partitioning .. at least in that Virtual System
you could also make the Virtual System, an little bigger .. 22Gb is fairly small.

- you can't use /home for windows - either
you could try an sym-link, though ( short-cut ) for each folder, instead.

- that 60Gb is a bit big for an / root .. try about 30Gb instead .. give the rest, back to the /home partition.

- any partition changes, must be made from the LinuxMint Live Media .. not from the Installed System.
22 Gb is just for a vm to try mint.

caplam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caplam »

mr_raider wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 am
Do you have a link to the laptop detailed specs? Before discussing lvm we need to establish hardware support.
it's xps 13 model 9380 with 16Gb ram and 1Tb ssd and i7-8665U

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

caplam wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:06 pm
mr_raider wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 am
it's xps 13 model 9380 with 16Gb ram and 1Tb ssd and i7-8665U
Mint 19.3 or 20 should be fine. Go with the latter if possible. Boot into windows, activate your OS and then use the disk management tool to shrink the maximum space you can afford to dedicate to Linux Mint.

In a dual boot config on a single drive, stick with a simple install. One partition for Mint that takes up all the space you freed, and reuse the same EFI partition that windows uses. While LVM is certainly a possibility that can work, dual boot single configs are so fraught with pitfalls that I advise against it unless you are relatievely experienced.

BTW it use possible to manually configure LVM, however that requires some pre configuration from within the live CD. If you are curious:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-18-04

Return to “Newbie Questions”