How to remove or move window dropdown menu?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bobski
Level 1
Level 1

How to remove or move window dropdown menu?

Post by bobski »

The button appears in the top left corner in every window. In some softwares, such as file explorer and Mozilla Firefox, the button takes up a lot of valuable space in the windows, which is annoying. See the example in the attached image. I do not use the button so I do not need it. I would like to have it removed or moved such that it does not take up a lot of valuable space in the windows. I can not find this in any obvious settings. Thank you.
Attachments
Skjermbilde_2020-06-25_19-03-56.png
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to remove or move window dropdown menu?

Post by erginemr »

Hi,

For Firefox, you can disable the title bar altogether by a setting in "customize", if this is what you've been looking for.
Free as in free speech...
bobski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobski »

Yes! Awesome. That fixes it for Firefox. Can this be done in file explorer as well?
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Great! That was also the first thing I did with Firefox.

Regarding the file manager (nemo), I don't think so. But let's wait for others to chime in with a better idea.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Which Desktop Environment? That button is not present by default (although can be added) in Cinnamon and MATE. It is present on XFCE

So I'm going to guess XFCE - you can amend the titlebar button layout via Menu > Settings > Window Manager

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Also if I am not mistaken, in XFCE settings, you should have the option of hiding the title bar when maximized.
bobski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobski »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:21 am
Which Desktop Environment? That button is not present by default (although can be added) in Cinnamon and MATE. It is present on XFCE

So I'm going to guess XFCE - you can amend the titlebar button layout via Menu > Settings > Window Manager

Yes you are right. I eventually found the setting. Also I chose the Mint-X-compact window theme to reduce the title bar's space, although this weirdly does not affect the window theme of the buttons in Firefox with its title bar off.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:21 am
That button is not present by default (although can be added) in Cinnamon
How?
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Here you go viewtopic.php?p=1733624#p1733624

The button will only ever be an regular icon on Cinnamon, not the applications icon. Support for doing that was dropped from Cinnamon in 19.2 IIRC.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”